• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:32 AM

This season I was rushing to get my equipment in order before the winter snow came along. Living in no wheres land its not easy to get parts when you need them so like many others I try to have what I need on hand. extra belts, plugs, etc. Looking over my tractors and equipment and writing a list I said to my self "this would be so much easier if I only had one brand or tractor and equipment to deal with. Thats when I decided I am going to just stick with one brand...yes I like all brands but for me personally I need to keep it as simple as I can.  I was thinking Wheel Horse at first because my wheel horse is the nicest one in my fleet and I have several attachments for it already. But Its hard to find C-120's around here. Plus so many people are into the wheel horses I figured I would stay out of that race. I also have a simplicity 3415H that I am pretty fond of as well so got to thinking about collecting those. At the time I also had a simplicity 3212 but it was destroying my right knee driving it around with my old knee injury. 

At that time I had two old sears suburbans (ss12's)I bought with intent to restore. I got the Manual Drive SS12 running and right away I fell in love with the rider set up it has a left side brake pedal, reason I rushed this tractor together is because I needed a plow today , not tomorrow or next tuesday but today. But even 1/2 completed I knew this was the tractor for me. 

20160113_141519 (1).jpg

Photo above is its maiden voyage. Notice no tire chains, fenders, or hood grills .

From that point I knew I was swapping to Suburbans the day I tested it out My right knee was killing me but as you can see in the photos its happily extended and it the most comfortable position it can be.  

After that I started looking for attachments that I needed the most ...mower deck and snow blower mainly as you can see I already had the plow. It was the plow that got me to purchase sears in the first place. 

Now I got 

Sickle Mower

2 Mower Decks 

snow blower 

Dozer plow 

7hp Roto spader

I am thinking at this point why stop now, although I have everything I need for use between my two other tractors and my sears I got the collectors itch 

I did not start out to be a collector but  I am now ...

Just had to share because I just figured that part out this morning as I sent several offers to people with Sears stuff. 

• Bolens 1000, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:39 AM

I have 6 Sears tractors. Those are '81 or newer. Going after an ST/16 this morning, though.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:49 AM

I have 6 Sears tractors. Those are '81 or newer. Going after an ST/16 this morning, though.

I saw you post and checked it this morning to see if you posted a photo yet. I'll check back later...hehe

• hamman, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:02 AM

It'll be close to lunch before I get back!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:11 AM

It'll be close to lunch before I get back!

I can be patient if you hurry up....lol 

I am going outside to tinker anyway its the weekend so I'll be on and off all day. 

• KennyP said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:16 AM

I've had the itch for a while now.
Like any good itch, just when you think you've found it, it moves.
If you get a chance, please look at the attachments thread.
It's an enabler... And It will continue to fuel your need for a fix.
http://gardentractor...e-1#entry337302

Currently On the lookout for a planter and a cab. :D
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:36 AM

I've had the itch for a while now.
Like any good itch, just when you think you've found it, it moves.
If you get a chance, please look at the attachments thread.
It's an enabler... And It will continue to fuel your need for a fix.

Currently On the lookout for a planter and a cab. :D

I saw one of those planters ...I didn't jump on it then and just looked on CG its gone. I know I got my Tiller within 17 hours of being posted. 

What Attachment thread is that? 

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Follow the link in my post... But only if you have a half hour or so.

#9 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Hello my name is Brian, and I am a sears addict. :wave:

I was looking for a leaf vacuum; when it started. Found the vacuum and it was connected to a St/10. (same as a custom) Figured that I could always sell the tractor... NOT. It has become my work horse. Been collecting attachments ever since:

Deck (works, but never use)

Vacuum

lawn sweeper (not sears, easier to use than the vac, and more seat time)

Tire chains and weights

Manual 3 point lift

Electric 3 point lift

8" plow

10" plow

Middle buster/potato plow

Homemade 3 point to sleeve hitch adapter

Brinly cultivator

32" Snow blower

Dozer blade

39" tiller

There are a few more on my wish list. Unlike some makes, lots of pieces out there.

Tractor setup in its summer work clothes:

IMG_0857.JPG

Made a few modifications. Floor boards. Added an extension riser to the seat, moved the seat back and up. This allows my legs straighten out. Like you I have knee pain and cannot keep my knees bent for extended periods. Under seat toolbox/holder.

Glad you enjoy Sears tractors! Happy collecting!

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:12 AM

(Audience voice)  Hi Brian. 

That sure is a nice set up ....Funny I was just thinking of what tractor to put what on. Then I see yours with a tiller on the rear and a plow of the front. That's what I was thinking of doing on one of mine. I was thinking with the Tiller on the rear I'll have extra weight for traction this winter and will be ready for spring. I use the plow all year round so that has to be an attachment that stays on.  I want one to have a mower deck. with no rear attachment so I can pull the lawn cart and such as well. I just hate swapping attachments over as that takes longer then most of the task at hand. 

Scenario...I'll go get my trailer...Oh poo can't I got the tiller on the back. Let me unhook it real quick attach my trailer then it will take me just a minute to pick that up.  

I think its going to come down to me needing 3 Tractors so that what ever task at hand I can jump on and turn the key. 

• KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks

#11 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:15 AM

Follow the link in my post... But only if you have a half hour or so.

Oh yes I was on there, I thought I posted my Sickle Bar Mower on there 

sickle.jpg

I did see somebody did put one up though so maybe thats why I didn't. 

• KennyP said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Oh, please do.
We don't want just one of everything shown, but anything you're happy or proud to own.

#13 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 12:19 PM

That sure is a nice set up ....Funny I was just thinking of what tractor to put what on. Then I see yours with a tiller on the rear and a plow of the front. That's what I was thinking of doing on one of mine. I was thinking with the Tiller on the rear I'll have extra weight for traction this winter and will be ready for spring. I use the plow all year round so that has to be an attachment that stays on.  I want one to have a mower deck. with no rear attachment so I can pull the lawn cart and such as well. I just hate swapping attachments over as that takes longer then most of the task at hand. 

Scenario...I'll go get my trailer...Oh poo can't I got the tiller on the back. Let me unhook it real quick attach my trailer then it will take me just a minute to pick that up.  

I think its going to come down to me needing 3 Tractors so that what ever task at hand I can jump on and turn the key. 

Thanks

I use the plow year round also. Have other tractors for mowing. Plow sticks out just far enough that you have to really watch for running into things. Tiller easily removes. Lower hitch, pull 3 pins and drive away. Install next piece or pull the trailer, etc. Usually only use the tiller in the spring and fall; so no big deal removing it.

Deck is a different story; I loath putting them on or taking them off.

3 tractors is a nice start. This Sears is the worker destined for all the odd jobs. I have 2 others (non Sears) setup for mowing; as one always decides that it needs attention or a belt just at the most inopportune time, and push mowing 1.5 acres is unrealistic.

I would love to have the sickle mower, but it will not fit the Custom series. It would have to be on a dedicated machine.

BTW, if you remove the wheels completely from the tiller it will dig deep. As in 8"+, perfect for the first till of the season.

#14 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Thanks

I use the plow year round also. Have other tractors for mowing. Plow sticks out just far enough that you have to really watch for running into things. Tiller easily removes. Lower hitch, pull 3 pins and drive away. Install next piece or pull the trailer, etc. Usually only use the tiller in the spring and fall; so no big deal removing it.

Deck is a different story; I loath putting them on or taking them off.

3 tractors is a nice start. This Sears is the worker destined for all the odd jobs. I have 2 others (non Sears) setup for mowing; as one always decides that it needs attention or a belt just at the most inopportune time, and push mowing 1.5 acres is unrealistic.

I would love to have the sickle mower, but it will not fit the Custom series. It would have to be on a dedicated machine.

BTW, if you remove the wheels completely from the tiller it will dig deep. As in 8"+, perfect for the first till of the season.

Well I have 4 .....but at the moment only 2 are sears. The other two are my Simplicity and my Wheel Horse.. I plan on getting rid of the simplicity and getting another suburban to replace it with. But I can't replace the horse because its the only tractor I know of that has a rear discharge (perfect for mowing in between rows in the garden. 

The suburban I replace the simplicity with will have a mower deck installed 24/7 and only taken off IF in the emergency of a winter breakdown  if I were to have a problem with my other two that one will have a snow blower and the other a plow. 

However one reason I am going ALL sears is so that I can have a spare engine and or other items ready to go if needed. With out the need of having 4 different engines. 

The Sickle mower I can't ever see using, but I am allowing the collector in me have that piece I may just restore one to put it on for the coolness of the collection. I am even in the market for other sears stuff I don't need just to restore and add to my collection. 

• Bmerf said thank you

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:32 AM

I have 4 complete sears and 1 partial. Mine started when I inherited a 68 SS12 from my wife's uncle. My 16/6 single is my work horse and the one I got to every time. The DB725 is a fun little tractor when it will start. I have a ST16 about 75% restored and the SS12 is in storage. I have several other brads, but like my Sears for all around use.