So, how do Canadians like the return of the long form census

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 09:27 PM

I find it intrusive, invasive, and an invasion of my privacy. The government has no need or right to ask most of the questions they did.
  • oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#2 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,379 Thanks
  • 1,567 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 10:46 PM

We responded with muskets and cannons. I remember a boat load of tea being made all at once if I remember correctly :-)
  • KennyP, oldedeeres, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,514 Thanks
  • 3,064 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 01:05 AM

I agree, Chopperhed. Who would have thought they could find so many alternatives to marital status? They listed five, as well as a separate category for common law. Anyone with a bit of imagination could probably come up with six or seven more variations and really curl their hair! And then to define your relationship to those you live with.... they list twelve possibilities, and then leave a space to write in, are you ready for this, "other relationship - specify". It goes on and on in the same vein, and you're right, highly invasive, and no body's business.

To further make my day, I also get to complete the agricultural form as well. They wanted me to do it on line, but I made them send me the hard copy. Told them that I'm old and don't trust the security of computers with such vital information of national concern. Let them put that in their pipes and smoke it, lol.   :shoot2:  :mad2:   :firejumper:  :(

• MH81, KennyP, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,741 Thanks
  • 2,720 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 02:19 AM

I'm not from Canada but understand your concern , that does sound a bit much , I know I'd be angry ...  However we live in a different world today, I think your country is trying to protect its citizens by making sure who's in it. I don't think they care about your trivial matters, although it is an invasion of privacy ,  the government has a nation to protect you saw what happened to us while we were sleeping.....I'd rather err on the side of caution

• oldedeeres and Chopperhed have said thanks

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,863 Thanks
  • 3,107 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 05:44 AM

They already know all this info. And it not every household that gets the long version. So what's the good of that. It's just another make work project for government workers.

• Bruce Dorsi, oldedeeres and Chopperhed have said thanks

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 42
  • 619 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 05:53 AM

I got the long form too...........I filled it out to the best of my knowledge, which wasnt too hard.....BUT, then I'm an average middle aged white guy, married to a woman, own my home, pay my taxes etc......So, basically I am of no interest to our government

• oldedeeres, Chopperhed and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,224 Thanks
  • 7,457 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:49 AM

At my past job, once a year we were to fill out a form that asked among other things, our race. One of the guys was adopted, so every year, he was something different.

• MH81, oldedeeres, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Just another way to establish ABSOLUTE control

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:53 AM

We lucked out and got the short form. I don't like the long form one at all. Seems a bit too much prying into income etc. I worry about them passing info to CRA or CSIS even though that is not supposed to happen. 

#10 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,293 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:57 AM

During our last census, a census taker showed up at our door. With a big smile, I asked how much the temp position payed. When that person responded, I laughed and said it seemed awfully low for such a dangerous position. When they looked confused, I told them they were on private property and had ten seconds to get off it.
  • oldedeeres, propane1 and Greasy6020 have said thanks