#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 07:30 PM

I sold this tractor to my neighbor a few years ago. He recently mentioned an issue it has where the engine starts and runs fine but intermittently seems to start sputtering, loses power and smells rich of unburned fuel. It will do it for a little while, then snap out of it and run normal again. To me it sounds like it is losing spark on one side. If it were a valve or anything else mechanical, I believe it would be more consistent.

Just looking for some insight on possible causes. Should I be looking at the coil? Is there one or two on this engine?

• nitail11, angelzs69 and ruthievx60 have said thanks

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,087 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 10:12 PM

Just my .02 cents, electronic fuel bowl solenoid on that correct? If yes, id start there as crappy gas can cause that same situation you are having. ; (
  • RAJ said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 10:27 PM

I'd suspect water in the gas. It can play games with the carb, fuel filter, and the tank. Also, make sure that the gas cap is breathing properly. Good Luck, Rick

• RAJ said thank you

#4 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 10:33 AM

I suppose I should start with the easy stuff. Last engine I worked on was a command 16 single. Tore the head off thinking valve trouble. Ended up being a sheared flywheel key. Should have learned my lesson with that to start with the simple things first. When I can get ahold of it I'll try cleaning the float bowl and make sure the wiring to the shut off solenoid is good to see if that changes anything. The tractor did sit for a few years before I got it, but my neighbor has been mowing with it going on it's third season. I don't believe I ever cleaned the fuel system.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Edited by RAJ, May 15, 2016 - 10:35 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you