#16 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the great information and help.  Had a real close look at it today and found a couple of hints that indicate it may have been white at one time so will try and clean it up and paint it white when it warms back up again - 39 degrees F and falling right now.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#17 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 06:36 PM

Was going to cut the grass today but it started to drizzle so I switched to plan B - clean up and paint the sleeve hitch.  Got the cotter keys out with a pair of pliers which surprised me as I thought they would be seized in the holes the way it was rust coloured.  Put a wrench on the bolts and they turned a bit with a good pull so I worked them in and out a bit with some penetrating oil applied to the threads and the hitch mounted in the vise and finally got them out and the jam nuts off.  Then I noticed the right arm had a bit of a bend at the end so I dragged the anvil out and found the sledge and gave the arm a few love taps - it flattened out to the point I could live with it and pushed the anvil back in its hiding spot and put the sledge away.  I remember when I was younger the anvil seemed lighter and easier to pick up and move around - it must have gotten heavier with age like me!  Put the wire brush and a maroon scotch brite pad to work and got a lot of the brown rusty look removed and the white paint underneath started to show through.  Gave everything a quick clean and wash and a coat of self etching primer.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Sleeve Hitch.jpg
  • 2 Sleeve Hitch.jpg
  • 3 Right Arm Bent At End.jpg
  • 4 Bolts Partially Seized.jpg
  • 5 Clean Up With Wire Brush.jpg
  • 6 Clean Up With Wire Brush.jpg
  • 7 Self Etching Primer Applied.jpg
  • 8 Self Etching Primer.jpg
  • 9 Self Etching Primer Apllied.jpg

• LPBolens, jpackard56, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#18 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 06:45 PM

Then it got a splash of white paint to make it look respectable again.  It was cool in the shop and the spray bomb was spitting a bit so I got a few runs in the paint but it should slow down the rust to a crawl.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Painted White.jpg
  • 2 Painted WHite.jpg
  • 3 Painted White.jpg
  • 4 Painted White.jpg
  • 5 Lift Rod White.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, jpackard56, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

#19 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Mine is sodi built and A one on piece...  Doe's that make it RARE..???? :dancingbanana: IMG_1435.JPG

• ClassicBolens and 29 Chev have said thanks

#20 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 07:48 PM

Looks nice - yours doesn't have the two sets of holes where it attaches to the tractor?

#21 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 604 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 03:48 AM

Looks like yours came with the proper lift rod, neither of mine came with any but I did find out that the tiller lift rod works well enough with them. 

#22 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Mine is a homebuilt unit as well. I went with red to match the wheels. Mine does have the two pairs of  holes where it attaches to the axle housing.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 010.jpg
  • 011.jpg

• Sawdust and 29 Chev have said thanks

#23 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 20, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Ya I know I don't have 2 holes in mine.. I was afraid that 2 holes, upper and lower would be weaker in that area..

• 29 Chev said thank you

#24 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 03:01 PM

Was asked if I could make two lift rods and one tube lift the same as mine for another sleeve hitch so I have been gathering supplies and working away at them when I had a bit of free time and ambition.  While there are instructions on how to build one in the manuals section I decided to use the one I had as a pattern - interesting that the one in the manuals section has a longer collar on it and four holes for the pins at the rear.  I used some 5/8" diameter cold rolled for the lift arms - since I do not have a way of bending 5/8" cold rolled easily without heat I opted to cut the rod at the bend and mig welded it back together once I had the angle correct.  At the front I used a short piece of 1/4" x 1" flat bar with a 7/16" hole drilled in it where it will attach to the lift link and used a short piece of pipe to make the stop collar at the rear - slit it and slid it over the rod and once I had it in the correct position welded it to the rod.  For the lift tube I used a piece of 1" O.D. round stock and drilled the centre to 5/8" - drilled a pilot hole in the lathe and then I moved the piece over to the drill press to complete the drilling.  Then I mounted the piece back in the lathe and bored the centre hole out to .675" to match the lift collar from mine.  Then I used a short piece of 1-1/2" flat bar, drilled a 7/16" hole in it for it to mount to the sleeve hitch and welded the flat bar to the sleeve. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Lift Rods.jpg
  • 2 Lift Tube.jpg
  • 3 Front.jpg
  • 4 Rear.jpg
  • 5 Front Flipped.jpg
  • 6 Rear Flipped.jpg
  • 7 Tube Lift.jpg
  • 8 Tube Lift.jpg
  • 9 Tube Lift.jpg
  • 10 Tube Lift.jpg
  • 11 Lift Rod.jpg