• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • Member No: 82900
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 10:01 AM

hello new to forum but not tractors all the tractors i have i restored myself.

searched but didnt find anything useful.  have a john deere 332 with the 3tn66 in it straight piped and sounds runs awesome. intrested in turning up the fuel a tad not to much i know its n/a but just for a experiance

is there any free ways to turn up the fuel via the pump or maybe have the injectors redone and turned up a bit like maybe 10-15%.  if tuning is doable a turbo may be in the future who knows?  how much can these 3tn66's take over stock if not pushed to hard?

thanks for any ideas/help

015.JPG

• fernandofr4 said thank you

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 11:58 AM

Not a clue. :welcometogttalk:

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 12:20 PM

I need to see a photo of your injector pump and then I might be able to help. I did this exact thing on the Yanmar I installed in a golf cart. 

• 3tn66u said thank you

#4 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 02:24 PM

I need to see a photo of your injector pump and then I might be able to help. I did this exact thing on the Yanmar I installed in a golf cart. 

ok will do thanks

#5 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 03:34 PM

see if these are any help

thanks006.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG 011.JPG 008.JPG

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:46 PM

So far I've lost this reply twice :(  so maybe the third time is a charm. In the first photo under the fuel line are two acorn looking nuts. The one pointed up should be the rpm limiting screw. The horizontal one is the fuel control screw. This should control  the maximum fuel to the injectors. This is the one I would start with. I will attach the instructions forwarded to me. I have my golf cart set so that when I stomp on the throttle it rolls some coal but under normal loads it runs clean. Anymore than that and your gaining nothing. 

I'm not an expert at this by any means but it worked for me.  Let us know how it goes.

Fuel control screw limits the rack travel which limits maximum amount of fuel. You would run it out the get more fuel, but I would only adjust it after you get your max RPM sorted. Maybe 1/4 turn at a time. I always adjust the fuel screw to just show a touch of smoke on acceleration, anything more is a waist of fuel. Once you get your rpm's sorted It might accelerate like a dog until you adjust the fuel screw. Theres a cap on one or both of those screws you'll have to pop off first.

Edited by Cvans, May 13, 2016 - 06:47 PM.

• ducky, limebuzz and 3tn66u have said thanks

#7 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 08:47 PM

So far I've lost this reply twice :(  so maybe the third time is a charm. In the first photo under the fuel line are two acorn looking nuts. The one pointed up should be the rpm limiting screw. The horizontal one is the fuel control screw. This should control  the maximum fuel to the injectors. This is the one I would start with. I will attach the instructions forwarded to me. I have my golf cart set so that when I stomp on the throttle it rolls some coal but under normal loads it runs clean. Anymore than that and your gaining nothing. 

I'm not an expert at this by any means but it worked for me.  Let us know how it goes.

Fuel control screw limits the rack travel which limits maximum amount of fuel. You would run it out the get more fuel, but I would only adjust it after you get your max RPM sorted. Maybe 1/4 turn at a time. I always adjust the fuel screw to just show a touch of smoke on acceleration, anything more is a waist of fuel. Once you get your rpm's sorted It might accelerate like a dog until you adjust the fuel screw. Theres a cap on one or both of those screws you'll have to pop off first.

got it.the  location of the screw anyway.. so i simply turn the screw in or out? is there a set # of turns out it comes from the factory?  just so i get it right i simply turn the screw out 1/4 turns at a time to add more fuel correct?  thanks alot

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 10:00 PM

As I recall you turn it out 1/4 turn at a time and then test run it. I think he said not to go more than 1 1/2 turns at the most. Keep track of your starting point as this will be the only way to know where the original setting was. 

Go slow. When you advance the throttle and start seeing black smoke you better drive it and see how it runs.

What you are about to undertake you do at your own risk. The information was provided to me by a professional diesel tech of which I am not. He made it sound like there wasn't much risk if done properly and it worked fine for me. 

Edited by Cvans, May 13, 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#9 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:19 AM

As I recall you turn it out 1/4 turn at a time and then test run it. I think he said not to go more than 1 1/2 turns at the most. Keep track of your starting point as this will be the only way to know where the original setting was. 

Go slow. When you advance the throttle and start seeing black smoke you better drive it and see how it runs.

What you are about to undertake you do at your own risk. The information was provided to me by a professional diesel tech of which I am not. He made it sound like there wasn't much risk if done properly and it worked fine for me. 

understood. i will let you know how it turns out.. 

#10 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 12:06 PM

success now under heavy load it will roll coal just perfect.  i will moniter the oil to see if im getting any fuel dilution 

thanks again :D

• Cvans and BowDown have said thanks

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 12:42 PM

Glad it worked for you. How many turns did you have to go?

#12 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 01:22 PM

Glad it worked for you. How many turns did you have to go?

it was already out more then it was supposed to be and the adjusting nuts were loose.  so i threw the counting process out the window and turned the spring itself by hand all the way in till it would idle but not rev then moved the throttle to rabbit and turned the spring out till it sounded just right. then kept turning it out little bit at a time why reving it up till it smoked. it clears right up in a sec but under real heavy load it will have steady black smoke.. i tested in some really thick and tall grass for about a hr and it ran great and coolant temps never got above 180f..

now a turbo would clean that smoke up. at least i know i can add enough free fuel increase for a small amount of turbo boost.

btw screw is only in one turn so its maxed out.    i just am not familer with that pump and didnt want to adjusting things without knowing what they are for or if they are even adjustable. but u was right cleared it up for me thanks again :thumbs:

Edited by 3tn66u, May 14, 2016 - 01:23 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#13 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 05:56 PM

off topic, I know, but I'd like to see some pictures of your straight pipe set-up...

#14 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 06:00 AM

all i have at the moment. its now 8" shorter with a vintage jd rain  cap         011.JPG 010.JPG 007.JPG

Edited by 3tn66u, May 15, 2016 - 06:01 AM.

• Cvans and WHdbJD have said thanks

#15 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:05 PM

all i have at the moment. its now 8" shorter with a vintage jd rain  cap         attachicon.gif011.JPGattachicon.gif010.JPGattachicon.gif007.JPG

OH Bet thats little harsh on the ears.  :rocker2:  Did straight pipe to my 455 and ear plugs didn't cut it.  I now have hole in hood for stack and muffler still loud but bearable.