• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:40 AM

I have a 28" long piece of railroad iron. It is about 5" tall and 5.25" wide at the base. I have been wanting to make a stand for it. Saw a stand a blacksmith was using for his anvil and thought that would work real well. I drew up the stand to see what size to start with and work my way up using lumber. Each layer will be .25" shorter and narrower. Should work well. I made the length 4" shorther so the end will hang over. I will use lag bolts to attach the RR iron. The first layer up will have slots left open so I can use the fork lift to move it as needed. The first layer will run the length, next the width.

ScreenShot010.jpg

When finished, I'll mix used oil and diesel for a coating. Maybe several coats.

I've been collecting lumber for a while and think I have enough to do this now.

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi, hamman and 15 others have said thanks

#2 dblover OFFLINE  

dblover
  • Member No: 73516
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 07:39 AM

That will work.  I use a hardwood tree section with the anvil attached with railroad spikes.  It allows the anvil/log to be rolled on/off a trailer when we do blacksmith events.  It is still a PIA to move, but anything is better than lifting the anvil:)  (And yes, I am getting old).

• hamman, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 08:48 AM

I have a 20ft stick of track..just haven't been able to cut it..need one of the gasoline torches I suppose..(they are so cool)

• KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 10:31 AM

I was thinking on the line as dblover...  A tree trunk or tree section as a permanent base.. cheaper and yes you could roll it. ( Never thought of that ).!!  My issue is,, I don't have room for something like that.. Then again I wouldn't have room for your'e idea either, Kenny..  I was thinking of a log section about 2ft. by 2ft to bolt my vice onto when bending heavy steel. I about pulled my work bench over when bending 1/4 in. steel for my homemade 3pt.   That was scary..

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 11:58 AM

I always liked the stump idea too but this would be unique. Counting your boards & given the 24" height are you using 2x lumber & ripping them to give you the pyrimid design. I've used repurposed aged floor joists with tongue oil along with rusty metal clear coated or black accents look good together. The combination of wood & metal is popular right not. Anvil with class! Like the idea.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 01:02 PM

years ago I bought an 150# anvil at an auction, it was on an old cream separater stand.  I some roller wheels under, so that I move it around the garage.  I also have an old 6" Rock island vise.  I have several short pieces of RR track different sizes that I use with the vise. They sure come in handy.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 01:13 PM

I have a stand made of railroad ties..its solid..anvil is missing though.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 dblover OFFLINE  

dblover
  • Member No: 73516
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 02:54 PM

I was thinking on the line as dblover...  A tree trunk or tree section as a permanent base.. cheaper and yes you could roll it. ( Never thought of that ).!!  My issue is,, I don't have room for something like that.. Then again I wouldn't have room for your'e idea either, Kenny..  I was thinking of a log section about 2ft. by 2ft to bolt my vice onto when bending heavy steel. I about pulled my work bench over when bending 1/4 in. steel for my homemade 3pt.   That was scary..

A couple of solutions that don't take up much room:

1. Invest in a 8+ ton press (Harbor Freight -  sometimes has bending plates too - or you can make up your own - Google it)

2. Torch (Oxy/Acetyl) - heat up the steel to red and it will easily bend with very little force.  Then toss it in a bucket of cat litter/sand to slowly cool or it you want it super stiff/hardened, toss it in used engine oil (be aware of the fire hazard). 

Edited by dblover, May 13, 2016 - 02:55 PM.

• KennyP, sodisr and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#9 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 04:20 PM

I have a vise on a bench and I have one mounted on a stand. The base of the stand is a big piece of 1/4" steel. Big enough so that when I'm using the vise I am standing on the plate. This makes it semi portable and I can't pull it over.

Also, when I need to bend thick steel for mounting brackets, I use a thin cut off wheel to cut a slot about halfway through the steel. Make my bend and then weld up the gap. If you take time to grind it back smooth, it looks slick as can be. I've done 1/2" thick stock this way. Works well and looks good. Plus you get a more accurate bend then wrestling it in a vice with a torch and hammer.
  • KennyP, sodisr and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 04:39 PM

I have a 20 Ton press to bend that stuff! Wanting something I can straighten things on!

• sodisr said thank you

#11 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 04:42 PM

I have a 20ft stick of track..just haven't been able to cut it..need one of the gasoline torches I suppose..(they are so cool)

In eighth grade ag class, we used a horizontal band saw running very, very slow with very little pressure and plenty of coolant to cut a piece of track. It took a while but the shop teacher had unlimited time and unlimited labor to move the track around and keep the coolant flowing on it.

Who knows you may be able to trade a piece of the track to a machine shop for cutting you some anvils. You just need a class full of boys to move it for you.
  • JD DANNELS, KennyP and Auburn David have said thanks

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 05:10 PM

I think Ellis (tiretrx) is someone who should speak up about anvil stands.......

• KennyP said thank you

#13 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 12:11 PM

Thanks JB Ram... thats exactly what Idid...  Made cleaner bends..

• KennyP said thank you

#14 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 03:28 PM

I sold my anvil yesterday.  Lasted about 10 minutes on kijiji and buyer was familiar.  It was taking up valuable real estate in garage for what little it got used. I still have a 50lb piece of vintage track that i levelled years ago. If I stumble on another anvil in the $1 a pound range i will likely bring it home but there seems to be a demand for them up here.

The steel rods on anvil stand swing down so anvil is secure but can be easily removed from stand. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2232.jpg

Edited by Jazz, May 15, 2016 - 03:30 PM.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 17, 2016 - 05:23 PM

I sold my anvil yesterday.  Lasted about 10 minutes on kijiji and buyer was familiar.  It was taking up valuable real estate in garage for what little it got used. I still have a 50lb piece of vintage track that i levelled years ago. If I stumble on another anvil in the $1 a pound range i will likely bring it home but there seems to be a demand for them up here.

The steel rods on anvil stand swing down so anvil is secure but can be easily removed from stand. 

I'm missing the point,,,, you sold your'es but your'e looking for another..???

• KennyP said thank you