• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 26, 2016 - 09:57 PM

I know the feeling. I've got a 3 bay shop with lifts. The common thought is that they won't need to bother me with fixing their cars if I just let them use the lift and tools. Of course, they might need some free advice along the way. Shouldn't be a problem since I can only use one at a time anyway. Sometimes I wonder if I could make more renting the bay by the hour, renting tools, and charging for advice. There would be a lot of CYA on liability and most of those type don't feel there should be any charge for that kind of thing. After all, they are keeping me company!  If you ever figure them out, let me know!

All ya get is a headache figuring that out :(

• DougT, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#47 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 04:42 AM

I always hated asking favors of friends and relatives like shop use. My thought is, it is too close to taking advantage of them and their expenditure of tools. When I need to do it, I always try to leave a bit of extra cash for them.
  • Alc, KennyP and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#48 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 08:27 AM

I always hated asking favors of friends and relatives like shop use. My thought is, it is too close to taking advantage of them and their expenditure of tools. When I need to do it, I always try to leave a bit of extra cash for them.

Oh I dont and wouldnt have a problem with family(the trustable ones)and close friends(you know the ones,friends that come out at 2 in the morning to help you remove a tree from your car so you can keep it from being further damaged, happened to me)using my shop,Heck I probably would help them with their project and I wouldnt ask anything from them because you help each other out,I am talking about just people you know of or new of distant friends

• shorty said thank you

#49 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:46 AM

Well its now officially mine,went to the lawyers office thurs and all paperwork was filed fri,she had given me full access to the shop 3 weeks ago and I cleaned up and added some tools and tractors but didnt want to do much more till it was mine,now its full speed ahead ,,,,,,,,if i ever get time to be there!,I have an auction to help work today but aint doin nothin on sun but working in my shop(hopefully}

• olcowhand, KennyP and EricR have said thanks

#50 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 04, 2016 - 06:59 AM

Congrats again! Hope you get time tomorrow.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#51 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 04:22 PM

small update,

Been cleaning when I can and have done some work on my stuff(cars,garden tractors)and some customer work,sharpening chain saw chains and built a flower wagon for a guy.Got my first electric bill and was bracing for the worst being a commercial property and the electric company has different rates for that,,,,,$40 was it,,,,woo hoo Boy was I happy about that,My house costs $200 a month and if you turn on the air conditioning $400 a month we almost never turn on the air.Just  a few fans and suffer,once you get used to it ,its not to bad,Here is a question for everyone,How much do people in your area charge to sharpen saw chains?I am charging $4 and everybody tells me I am way to low,other shops are chargeing $10 to$13 per chain!!I think that would be nuts,I can buy a new 20 in oregon chain for my echo or my husky for $20 or less and I know of a place I can get them some cheaper then that,so?????

• MH81 said thank you

#52 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 04:29 PM

Might bump up to $6 to $7.50 and still be cheaper. Are you doing it by hand or do you have a machine?

#53 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 04:52 PM

I have a machine,It dont take but a few minutes to sharpen one,Just seems awful pricey to put on a chain and if you have my luck stick it in the ground right off the bat and hit a rock :mad2:

#54 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 05:00 PM

One thing to think about is the time to sharpen a chain and the wear & tear on your machine. The price range I posted above would be what I would like to pay. I just use a round file on mine!

#55 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 05:14 PM

True enough,I wouldnt mind making more money,,Who wouldnt but I dont want to over charge or really under charge either,just wondered what people here thought was fair,thank you for your input

• KennyP said thank you

#56 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Couple guys locally do it at 5 or 6, dealer sells Oregon chains and Stihl chains, i think they sharpen at 10.