16 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 04:32 PM

I Found one I found one !!!

Yes!!Score!! Happy to add this little gem to my collection. Needs some work but gaining ground on my Sears Suburban collection. 

tiller.jpg

tiller2.jpg

tiller3.jpg

IMG_8993.JPG

IMG_8990.JPG

IMG_8988.JPG

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Buddy OFFLINE  

Buddy
  • Member No: 45481
  • 149 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 05:18 PM

Nice find . Those are getting harder to fine everyday.

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Nice find . Those are getting harder to fine everyday.

Tell me about it .....Finding one is one thing, then distance between finds is another. Then finding one that is salvageable. Trust me when I say it didn't come easy. 

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 06:39 PM

And I bet is doesn't start that easy! Congrats!

#5 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Looks like a beauty. I love the old tecumsehs. Easy to work on and with a little tinkering, you can get them to start first pull or at least second. At least the ones I have had.

I have been involved with debates about weather or not you are supposed to lift the tiller completely off the ground after each pass. That takes some strong arm strength. I see no need to do that.  If this were so, why would your wheels have different height adjustments?

#6 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 07:26 PM

I lift mine every pass. I have an extention on my arm of the three point hitch and it makes the lifting much easier. I'll have to take a picture and post it for you. I just got done tilling my garden yesterday with mine. SWEET!!!!! I love the 36" tiller. And yes it starts 1st or 2nd pull every time.

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 08:46 PM

Looks like a beauty. I love the old tecumsehs. Easy to work on and with a little tinkering, you can get them to start first pull or at least second. At least the ones I have had.

I have been involved with debates about weather or not you are supposed to lift the tiller completely off the ground after each pass. That takes some strong arm strength. I see no need to do that.  If this were so, why would your wheels have different height adjustments?

As soon as I get a chance to enter that debate I'll jump right in. This is my first time owning a tiller for a tractor. I have a hand held tiller now that I use that is just a monster. With wanting to do more gardening each year I fear looking into the eyes of that monster. 

Seeing you love the old tecumsehs .....are the 6hp techs with electric start the same as these 7hps I got an engine on my blower   its a toro 624 with a tech? To make my life easy I was thinking of just bolting it on and using it while I rebuild the one thats on it.Looks  the same to me just without the electric start and the air cleaner.

• Alc said thank you

#8 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 08:52 PM

I lift mine every pass. I have an extention on my arm of the three point hitch and it makes the lifting much easier. I'll have to take a picture and post it for you. I just got done tilling my garden yesterday with mine. SWEET!!!!! I love the 36" tiller. And yes it starts 1st or 2nd pull every time.

I would love to see more photos (post them right here on this thread if you dont mind), this is the most exciting implement I got so far, I still need parts for the 3 point hitch I heard there were long and short lifting arms and that I want the short ones because it makes lifting easier , just doesn't lift as high (so I have heard). Over all it can't be as bad as my toro tiller pulling me around. Its a rear tine tiller that will yoke its self out of your hands if your not holding n tight. 

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,310 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 09:37 PM

I love the old tecumsehs. Easy to work on and with a little tinkering, you can get them to start first pull or at least second. At least the ones I have had.

Wanta fix this MF7 for me? lol Naaaaa I about got it figured out.Condenser is bad.

Good looking spader ya got there.

I gave up looking for 1 for my old sears.I went and bought a 3 point for it but can't afford any attachments for the thing.Neighbor up the road has a walk behind Roto Spader that's in good condition.He has a couple decent rear tine tillers he uses so I might be able to get the Roto Spader pretty cheap and convert it to work on my 3 point.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:30 PM

Thumbs way up!
Glad you found one. They work well, just watch for rocks during use. :D
Some of them whip right along.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:45 AM

The hardest part of picking a brand and sticking with it is finding the attachments you need/want. When I decided to commit to just one brand I made sure I got the two most important mower deck and snowblower. 

MH81 is that you in the video? I ran across that video while I was searching for the sears tiller ...it was actually one of my deciding factors.  

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 06:47 AM

No, that's skinny me
That person no longer exists :D
  • KennyP and John Arsenault have said thanks

#13 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Seeing you love the old tecumsehs .....are the 6hp techs with electric start the same as these 7hps I got an engine on my blower   its a toro 624 with a tech? To make my life easy I was thinking of just bolting it on and using it while I rebuild the one thats on it.Looks  the same to me just without the electric start and the air cleaner.

I can't answer that but it it bolts up the same, it should work just fine.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 07:52 PM

The engines should be very close
If you were planning on changing over the electric start however it will not work without some serious part swapping if at all

You would need the flywheel, magneto, tinwork, coil etc. on the engine with electric start

#15 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 07:23 AM

Nope I plan just to take the engine off and use it on the tiller. The Snowblower has not been used in two years and probably won't be used anymore because we got tractors. I ran out and bought this blower when I JD LT110 died in the middle of winter.  I checked the bolt pattern and rotation of the shaft to make sure they are the same. Only thing I can't see with out taking it apart is the pulley and crank shaft diameter. But if thats all I got to contend with I'll be in great shape.

• MH81 said thank you