Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Front PTO for D-4-7 (or reasonable facsimile)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 12:49 PM

here are a couple of images of the front pto on d4-10 sn: 8015. if you could find one of these it may work fairly easily.

That looks like an AC clutch..

• tomgo1 said thank you

#17 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 01:31 PM

If the ac clutch would work, I can come up with the bracket and arm in the picture-

#18 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • Member No: 82189
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the link to the Rare Garden tractors Website, I may just bite the bullet and spend the $185.00 for their yoke- style PTO clutch, the engagement lever is another $35.00, but I'm thinking that this setup might be the closest to an original Bush Hog configuration.. I must admit, however, that without seeing a Bush Hog setup in person, I'm not sure if the yoke pushes back (towards the motor) to engage/disengage the pulley.Titus, I  will take you up on your offer to view your tractor as I think that will be the easiest way to get an understanding of how the engagement process works as well as how and where to route the levers.  Thanks again for all of your help thus far. Paul

• Auburn David said thank you

#19 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:15 AM

Another thing, Auburn Dave and sacsr, when you state that the clutch looks like an "AC" clutch, are you saying that it is an Electric PTO Clutch or am I missing something here ? Thanks, paul

#20 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the link to the Rare Garden tractors Website, I may just bite the bullet and spend the $185.00 for their yoke- style PTO clutch, the engagement lever is another $35.00, but I'm thinking that this setup might be the closest to an original Bush Hog configuration.. I must admit, however, that without seeing a Bush Hog setup in person, I'm not sure if the yoke pushes back (towards the motor) to engage/disengage the pulley.Titus, I  will take you up on your offer to view your tractor as I think that will be the easiest way to get an understanding of how the engagement process works as well as how and where to route the levers.  Thanks again for all of your help thus far. Paul

Come on down, its here at my business and I live here practically. 8:30/4:30 Mon-Sat    

#21 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 08:49 AM

Another thing, Auburn Dave and sacsr, when you state that the clutch looks like an "AC" clutch, are you saying that it is an Electric PTO Clutch or am I missing something here ? Thanks, paul

I should have said it looks like an AC clutch would work..My bad.(if you wanted it electric)

#22 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 03:46 PM

by pulling back on the rod from the seat it pulls the yoke toward the front of the mower and brings the two sides of the pulley together to engage the belt. 

• LPBolens and Auburn David have said thanks

#23 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:46 AM

Here's  where we are at :I ordered a mechanical PTO from the Rare Garden Tractors Website. (Great People  by the way!!!) I will probably receive it in two weeks or less, but in the meanwhile I started playing (experimenting ) with an electric PTO from a John Deere 180 ( 1 inch vertical shaft motor ) yesterday.. Had to split it in half to get it to fit on the shaft , but figured that would be easier than  unbolting the motor or whatever else I'd need to do. Plus, I was able to clean and inspect the unit to determine whether it was worth using in the first place. In any case, what I need now is the length of the belt that is spun by the PTO , through the mule drive pulleys and onto the mower deck pulley. I may even have a belt that will fit, but I'd really like to know the "correct" length of the mower deck drive belt. Thank you, Paul  PS- Pics to follow!

• LPBolens said thank you

#24 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 07:50 AM

Not sure if I have an individual picture, but I did make a short (crummy) video using my phone to photograph the John Deere 180 Electric PTO engaging and disengaging on the Bush Hog (and turning the belt and the mower deck pulley!!). I should also note that despite my best efforts to locate the correct size ?? belt at Tractor Supply, they did not have (what I think is) the 80 inch belt in stock.If someone knows the correct belt size, please send me that information. I am now going to attempt to upload a video. Thanks for your patience. Paul  EDIT:  OK, that did not go well at all, I'm not really that versed with Windows 10 despite my best efforts. I will try again later when my blood pressure goes down. PSS:Is there a way to upload pictures ahead of time to the "Gallery" page on my "Profile " page. I looked but was unsuccessful. Thanx

#25 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 12:54 PM

New "Bush Hog " PTO has arrived!!!!. Now all I have to do is figure out how to attach the engagement lever to make it work. I will keep you posted. Thanks, Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0268.JPG
  • DSC_0270.JPG
  • DSC_0272.JPG
  • DSC_0274.JPG

• olcowhand said thank you

#26 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 06, 2016 - 05:09 PM

I would fabricate a piece to bolt on and pivot at the original frame mount that would attach to the yoke (and pivot) at either of the two holes where the bolts (probably closest to the yoke) and then continue out to another hole where the engagement rod would attach and it would be as close to original as you could get if that's what your going for.  very similar to the pics posted earlier.

• olcowhand and LPBolens have said thanks

#27 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 07, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for that suggestion !, Believe it or not, I located a pair of Bush Hogs (not sure which models due to bad pics), that I will be viewing later on today. Once I see an original setup, I'm sure that it will all make sense. Question: the deck that I have is a model m-42 serial # 1467. When I installed the mule drive to the tractor, I placed it with the two pulleys in the forward position, meaning closer to the very front of the tractor. Is this the "correct" orientation ? as I'm curently using (experimenting) with a 1/2 x 78 inch belt (which seems a bit loose). Also, do you happen to know the correct belt length that I'm supposed to be using? Thanks, Paul     PS- here are a few pics of the John Deere 180 electric PTO that I was experimenting with .... actually worked quite well!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0260.JPG
  • DSC_0261.JPG
  • DSC_0262.JPG
  • DSC_0263.JPG

Edited by wpod, June 07, 2016 - 07:21 AM.

• olcowhand and LPBolens have said thanks

#28 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 04:05 PM

Here's  where we are at :I ordered a mechanical PTO from the Rare Garden Tractors Website. (Great People  by the way!!!) I will probably receive it in two weeks or less, but in the meanwhile I started playing (experimenting ) with an electric PTO from a John Deere 180 ( 1 inch vertical shaft motor ) yesterday.. Had to split it in half to get it to fit on the shaft , but figured that would be easier than  unbolting the motor or whatever else I'd need to do. Plus, I was able to clean and inspect the unit to determine whether it was worth using in the first place. In any case, what I need now is the length of the belt that is spun by the PTO , through the mule drive pulleys and onto the mower deck pulley. I may even have a belt that will fit, but I'd really like to know the "correct" length of the mower deck drive belt. Thank you, Paul  PS- Pics to follow!

check here for belt info. http://gardentractor...lt-information/

if the pulley is smaller than original which yours appears to be, then the correct belt may be too loose.