Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Front PTO for D-4-7 (or reasonable facsimile)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 wpod OFFLINE  

wpod
  • Member No: 82189
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 07:46 AM

Hello again, I've asked this question several times in my original thread, but thus far have not received any leads. As I probably won't be able to find the original mechanical PTO for this tractor, I have been pondering other alternatives. I actually saw a listing at Tulsa Engine Warehouse for an electric PTO (1 inch shaft) for a Bushhog  http://http://teware...=2&category=374  , it doesn't state what model it was designed for, but at $191.00, it got me thinking of cheaper electric PTOs. The other option that I'm considering is a mechanical PTO from a Cub Cadet 122, same size  one inch shaft, and a fairly simple engagement lever. So please, I need suggestions, guidance , and a game plan. Thanks, Paul

http://tewarehouse.c...=2&category=374

Edited by KennyP, May 12, 2016 - 10:19 AM.
Fix link

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:02 AM

Thats a bad link for me.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,687 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Thats a bad link for me.

I fixed it.

• Auburn David said thank you

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,141 Thanks
  • 1,208 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:39 AM

If you were into fabrication you could try and find a scrap conditioning compressor off of a car that had a good electric clutch - you could possibly adapt the clutch off it to your application - just a suggestion.

#5 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 09:34 PM

I have basically no knowledge of the innards and workings of this original clutch because I haven't had it apart.  I don't know of a source for an original because they are pretty scarce.  you could likely find and use the clutch off a d4-10.  they also engage and disengage similarly with a push/pull rod but use a lever and plunger as opposed to a collar.  see parts breakdown on page 18 of the d4-10 parts manual on this site.  it gives the different part numbers used on d4-7 as well but if the shaft diameter is the same I think it should work just fine.  scott or Daniel may have some more knowledge or other opinions on this subject as well.  ill try to look mine over when im at the farm this weekend to see if I can come up with anything more.

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Sorry for being late to respond- I think Daniel has used a cub cadet on one before. It looks close to the later model series tractors. The early D4-7 and T-63 pto clutch was a Yoke style clutch- I only have one and don't have enough knowledge to help. At some point it would be good if someone figured out which electric pto clutch might be used on these tractors - I have very few complete pto clutches for the later model tractors- about 1 out of 10 might have one- most are damage once you take them off the shaft (previous owner damage) I was told by one old BH dealer these clutches were a weak link on these tractors. I have been swamped with my job and family matters for the past 3 months. I will look to see what I can come up with. There is not a lot of response on this topic because most of us don't know what the fix would be. But we all would love to find a solution for sure!
  • KennyP said thank you

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 09:39 PM

Here is a link showing the thread on the later version of the pto clutch
http://gardentractor...tch#entry315571

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 09:44 PM

http://gardentractor...tch#entry542104
This is a thread on the earlier pto clutch.

#9 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 11:56 AM

I've got nothing to offer to help out. My garage kept D4-7 has this on it that functions and you're welcome to come look at it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9898.JPG

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,642 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 04:07 PM

Finding an original ball-lock clutch would be like winning the lottery I'm afraid.  The one on my T-63 has been welded in place so requires me to roll the belt on the pulley and crank engine with deck engaged to mow with it.  I'd love to have an OE clutch myself.  A Cub Cadet clutch is very close in design to the PTO clutches on the D4-10 Hogs though, so it would look a little closer to a Bush Hog component at least.  Remove the back pulley from a Cadet clutch and you're in business once you build a simple disengagement system.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,642 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 04:16 PM

There is ONE place I know of that sells ball-lock clutches for Bantam tractors, but nor sure what size belt they work right with.  They sell a 3000 and 5000 series, and again, not sure of diameter of pulleys, or what size shaft ID they fit on, but may be a choice of 3" or 5" OD pulleys based on the numbers.  You can go HERE and ask for info.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 04:22 PM

Not much that can go wrong with those..its just a copper wire wrapped around a piece of steel and makes an eletro magnet..most bad ones I have found have had to do with where the harness wire is soldered to the coil.If course you can have a short or open circuit in the coil..but not often.

#13 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 04:24 PM

Like was said above a AC clutch could be used if drilled/board and keyed....It works the same way.

#14 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 04:26 PM

I have one I use to pick screws and such up off the ground..just hook it to my jump box.and hook it to a pair of hand trucks..and roll it around..Works great..

#15 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 12:15 PM

here are a couple of images of the front pto on d4-10 sn: 8015. if you could find one of these it may work fairly easily.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3141.JPG
  • IMG_3142.JPG
  • IMG_3143.JPG

• Auburn David said thank you