• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 03:48 PM

Used the loader/tiller tractor and Frankie today to plant. Got to get a better row maker/hiller to use. What I did turned out ok, but want new toys. Would like to make a multipurpose attachment some day. One that would make the row, plant potatoes and hill/cover them up, then be able to use it for row making, or hilling.
Any way, planted two rows of Irish cobblers today.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• KennyP, CRFarnsworth, WNYTractorTinkerer and 6 others have said thanks

#2 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 04:50 PM

I'm with you, I want more toys.  Been looking at hillers lately but they is spendy.  If I get time I plan on building a good tool bar to bolt things to.  I was going to plant taters this week but just noticed... we are going to be around 30 degrees a couple upcoming nights.  Going to be awhile.... sure do have some plants in the house getting tall..... come on spring weather!

• HANKG, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Good to hear you are getting them in. I am with you on wanting a planter that would do it all in one step. There are a lot of videos on you tube of homemade planters you should check out. I have seen enough of your fab skills to believe you should never have much of a problem putting one together.

My potatoes are up, been popping through for the past week.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 11, 2016 - 08:22 PM.

• HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 08:41 PM

I wish I had the soil you have, I only have 4-6 inches of top soil, I have added everything under the sun to break it up but when it gets hot and the water is drawn up it brings the clay too, I grow great corn and cover crops such as melons, zucchini, strawberries, an 1800 lb pumpkin ( not a typo ) but anything in the ground nada, radishes the size of peas, potatoes the size of cherries, I can grow baby carrots with ease, but that's not what I was going for ha ha ha this year I am trying container growing , 24, 1/2, 55 gal barrels will post pics soon , happy gardening all
  • backwoods, HANKG, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,889 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 09:30 PM

You lucky dog to have such a nice parcel of land to garden I hope you have a great harvest.  Hank

• propane1 said thank you

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 03:07 AM

Cool set up Noel!! I too planted taters this weekend, 9 - 100' rows . I have a video of it but forgot to download it. Maybe tonight? I used a furrower behind my 125 to make the rows , then put down the taters, and covered them with the 165 with Hiller attachment.
  • Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:22 AM

Looks real nicely done. I too would like a better way. We have three 25' rows just now popping about 3" high.
  • propane1 said thank you

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:26 AM

I wish I had the soil you have, I only have 4-6 inches of top soil, I have added everything under the sun to break it up but when it gets hot and the water is drawn up it brings the clay too, I grow great corn and cover crops such as melons, zucchini, strawberries, an 1800 lb pumpkin ( not a typo ) but anything in the ground nada, radishes the size of peas, potatoes the size of cherries, I can grow baby carrots with ease, but that's not what I was going for ha ha ha this year I am trying container growing , 24, 1/2, 55 gal barrels will post pics soon , happy gardening all

We have the same problem. This is our first year planting here. I dug the trench but filled with & will cover with top soil from a nursery.

Edited by Sawdust, May 12, 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#9 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 04:42 PM

I did 6 rows on the weekend, about 36' long each. I used  my plow to dig the rows as well but they are not as straight as Noels.I planted by hand and filled them in after with a shovel. Filling in only took about 10 minutes.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 007.jpg

• backwoods, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks