5 replies to this topic

#1 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 01:56 PM

Right angle drive model Peerless RA-208-P91

When I disassembled the right hand drive box to replace the blind bearing (#9 780024) I found the following sequence from the gearbox outward; RH box-bearing-oil seal-washer-pulley-retaining ring at the outside of the pulley on the end of the shaft.

But when I look in the manual I see the following sequence from the gearbox outward; RH box, bearing-retaining ring-oil seal-then the pulley. The mystery is driving me nuts. Can anyone clear this up? I am thinking of putting back based on the way I took it apart. Thanks

• MolonLabe said thank you

#2 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 02:25 PM

When I went through mine (using parts from 2 gear boxes) I didn't use the washer because it appeared to have eaten up the old seal to the point that all that was left of it was the shoulder of the seal in the gear box housing, there was no apparent reason for the washer to be there that I could tell. So far so good. Good luck and when you reinstall the box make sure that it is centered with the crankshaft, found that out pretty quick.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Major:

Am I correct that your warning about alignment is due to the fact that the RH drive box is part of the clutch assembly that definitely aligns with the engine drive shaft?? Appears that misalignment could cause the clutch assembly to malfunction. ken

#4 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Ken,

Absolutely correct, the drive shaft must be lined up with the crank to operate correctly. There is a procedure which requires pulling the spark plug and cranking the engine (trans in neutral) to align the gear box. Can't remember which manual that was in but it does make sense. A good way to see if things are close is to measure the distance that the clutch disc pins extend through on opposite sides of the clutch disc, they should be the same. I found that if it's off by very much the box will squawl like a squashed cat.

Edited by MolonLabe, May 11, 2016 - 09:03 PM.

• ktznz said thank you

#5 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Not sure what  year your 960 is, but I have multiple copies of various 960s from 140-960 t0 146-960A, so one of them must have the procedure that you refer to. If not, I will send a message.  Thanks, ken

#6 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 06:42 AM

Just make sure the pins are even and you won't have a problem. :thumbs:

• ktznz said thank you