• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ktznz ONLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 01:33 PM

How is the 3/8" pivot hole stud for brake bracket attached to frame? Is it welded? I see the hole (see pic 1) which is not drilled thru the frame and have seen pics of the stud being threaded and double nutted and also seen a smooth stud with a hole in the end for a cotter key. I do not have a welder; so could I drill thru the frame and place a 3/8" bolt and a nut on the outside (provided there is clearance behind the brake drum) and install it? Pic of 3/8" stud hole in  frame, then pic with screwdriver in pivot hole showing proper install position and final pic showing threaded stud with cotter key installed. Thanks.

attachment-16.jpg

attachment-17.jpg

mw_brake_stud2.jpg

• sallyih16 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 02:49 PM

Have you downloaded and studied the manual? If you need a hole in the frame, Why isn't it there already? Be really sure before you do any drilling. That looks similar to the brakes on my Case 222. It drove me crazy for awhile figuring the correct assembly and adjustment. Good Luck, Rick

• ktznz said thank you

#3 ktznz ONLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 06:00 PM

Rick:

I felt underneath the frame and found a rounded bump. I was just thinking  out loud, because because the outside  hole is shallow, and with my lack of experience, I thought maybe the stud was welded, but could perhaps be drilled out. I have yet to  receive verification that the stud was welded or if there were two (2) implementations; welded solid stud with hole in end for cotter key or welded stud with threads with double nut locknut. Would like to do it the correct way. ken

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 ktznz ONLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 10:05 AM

Have you downloaded and studied the manual? If you need a hole in the frame, Why isn't it there already? Be really sure before you do any drilling. That looks similar to the brakes on my Case 222. It drove me crazy for awhile figuring the correct assembly and adjustment. Good Luck, Rick

Rick:

Forgot to mention that I have reviewed several versions of the parts lists and no where can I find reference to the stud that sticks out of the frame. Slowly driving me nuts. ken

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Chevy2racr OFFLINE  

Chevy2racr
  • Member No: 81648
  • 26 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:35 PM

I believe it was just press fit. Mine was out of the frame and pin seized into the brake lever, I made a new level and welded a bolt to the frame and used a lock nut to hold it on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • ktznz said thank you

#6 ktznz ONLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 23, 2016 - 06:43 PM

I believe it was just press fit. Mine was out of the frame and pin seized into the brake lever, I made a new level and welded a bolt to the frame and used a lock nut to hold it on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

At last, some logical info. I noticed a convex bump at the other side of the hole that held the stud. I also saw a pic of a stud with threaded nut and one with a cotter key. I have decided to try to get a stud weld into the hole and use a cotter key to hold it on. Many thanks.