jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 924 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 07:40 PM

My neighbor has early 1950s model A john Deere. Anyone know how to change and check oil in this big boy. Any help would be good.Thanks

Edited by jms180, May 09, 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#2 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:24 PM

Going by memory here (dangerous, I know), I grew up on a 60 & 720D. To check the oil, look under the front of the belt pulley for a hex plug in a "long hex nut", screw the plug part way out, if the oil level is full, oil will drip from a hole in the bottom of the "hex nut" (provided it's not plugged). under the tractor, there should be a 4" +/- "cup" with a hex head in the center, that's where the filter is located, the drain plug is near that "cup". to fill the crankcase with oil there is a 2" (?) pipe cap above the front of the belt pulley, open the check nut & fill until oil drips out. When changing the filter, there is a thin "ring" gasket in the grove the "cup" fits into, replace it!

Hope this makes sense! ~~ grnspot
  • MH81, jms180 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#3 oldgearhead OFFLINE  

oldgearhead

• Member No: 1891
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 09:38 PM

I have an A that has a dip stick where the check plug is supposed to be. It must have been an option at the time. My other A's and B's have the check plug.
  • jms180 said thank you

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 924 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 05:39 AM

Thanks so much i will pass this good information to my neighbor. I did see the drain plug,filter and 2" pipe cap. It does not have dipstick but it does have plug near pully. When i was small my dad had old B hand crank with wheel. I learned not to get near those big sparkplugs when closing those cockpit valves.