• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1mathom1 OFFLINE  

1mathom1
  • Member No: 61486
  • 208 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 08:57 AM

Sounds like a bearing is going out on left spindle on the deck under our 2414.     Have never torn into one.   Are they rebuildable of should I start looking for another spindle?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 09:12 AM

They usually are rebuildable. I've done several with standard bearings that I got at NAPA. Check the manual which you can download from our Manuals Section. The sooner that you do it the better. Our sponsors can probably sell you the entire assembly if you want that. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hi yes they are rebuildable, as Boyscout posted go to the manuals section and on pade 4 download the model 74 rotary mower manual it covers it, any bearing store will have the bearings you may need to get the number off the old bearing but I think this is the number Timken  LM11949 and LM11910.

Edited by MNGB, May 11, 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#4 1mathom1 OFFLINE  

1mathom1
  • 208 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Thanks.   Hope to tear into it Saturday.

#5 1mathom1 OFFLINE  

1mathom1
  • 208 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 08:56 AM

After looking at the manual, I can see someone in it's past life did a little re-engineering, replaced one of the spindles, and improperly reassembled one of the other spindles.

The flat deck idlers have been replaced with v-belt idlers and repositioned inside the belt with the spring pulling out.  Both are worn out anyway so I'll get to set it back up correctly.  

Question: What is the OD on the correct idlers?

The drive key on the center spindle had been forced down into the spacer and seal and really messed them up.  The castle nut was really buggered up too.....and rusted beyond saving.  Had to cut it off....real pain down inside that center pulley but my Dremel tool saved the day.   I suppose that since the center spindle does not have a cover over it, rain collected in the pulley and rusted it.     The machine gets shedded now.

The replaced spindle does not have the divot in the center of the shaft so the pulley puller wanted to wander a little but it worked.   Glad it was not as difficult to pull as the center pulley that had considerable rust.

I'll be tearing the spindles apart this weekend and hoping the shafts aren't damaged.

Next on the list is the front axle pivot.  Pretty sloppy.

Question: Was the front axle the same on long hood 16" and 24" tractors?

Edited by 1mathom1, May 19, 2016 - 09:00 AM.

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Next on the list is the front axle pivot.  Pretty sloppy.

Question: Was the front axle the same on long hood 16" and 24" tractors?

Its the same, some models had a bearing others a bushing a bushing works good the bushing is 1 1/8" ID X 1 3/8" OD X 1" L  its the same bushing used on the front steering spindles. 2 needed for front pivot.

• Alc said thank you

#7 1mathom1 OFFLINE  

1mathom1
  • 208 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Looking for a little more guidance.   Got the pulleys off, keys out, and spacers out but the spindle will not budge out of the housings.  The bearings turn freely but the shafts won't slide down out of the bearings.  Looking at the drawings I cannot see anything that would be holding them in.  Tried putting some pressure on them with a puller but am afraid to pull too hard for fear of breaking the mounting flange.

Am I missing something?

Edited by 1mathom1, May 21, 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 21, 2016 - 06:21 PM

Hi I have not dissembled a PK deck spindle but have many other brands and on all that the spindle shaft was in good condition had to be pressed out in a press, and I think that will be the case with your spindles.

#9 1mathom1 OFFLINE  

1mathom1
  • 208 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Just in case anyone is following the saga.  Got the spindles pressed apart.   Bearings and races show signs of pitting.  Also found that the bearing races are loose in two of the housings.    They won't fall out but I can spin them with light finger pressure.  Housing worn behind the race.     So......I now have to find two housings.

Shafts were fine but there were two different styles.  One had  removable spacers top and bottom and removable dust shield.   Two have the bottom spacer machined in the shaft and the dust shield is permanently attached.   I am guessing the two with the machined spacer are an older style.

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted May 31, 2016 - 09:08 AM

If you can't find housings this is what I would do install the cups with JB weld the industrial version let it set up for 36 hrs the reassemble the spindle and it will be okay or you could use loctite 620 bearing retainer.

• Alc said thank you