• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Staub OFFLINE  

Aaron Staub
  • Member No: 77761
  • 7 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:52 PM

I just inherited my grandfathers 1985 5020H tractor. I'm really excited about it. It's in great condition and has been stored inside its entire life. I have been scouring the net for three point hitch options and as near as I can tell the OE hitch (#14072) is NLA. Is there an equivalent unit still being made? I don't currently have the fabrication skills or equipment needed to modify a generic piece and I was really hoping for a bolt-on kit, especially since it used to exist. Am I doomed to just scour eBay indefinitely?

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Some one should be along that can help you before long, but in the mean time welcome aboard and have look around.

#3 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:04 PM

I just inherited my grandfathers 1985 5020H tractor. I'm really excited about it. It's in great condition and has been stored inside its entire life. I have been scouring the net for three point hitch options and as near as I can tell the OE hitch (#14072) is NLA. Is there an equivalent unit still being made? I don't currently have the fabrication skills or equipment needed to modify a generic piece and I was really hoping for a bolt-on kit, especially since it used to exist. Am I doomed to just scour eBay indefinitely?

Welcome to GTtalk, part is NLA, ebay yes.. maybe.. you don't see these that often for sale, I haven't seen anybody offering these aftermarket, however there are fabrication shops offering repop 3pth for Bolens LF's maybe look their way, Ballard Fabrications in OH is one. Check with our site sponsors Rick Show and Bob Hill in particular salvage units and I believe Rick has his eyes on one, it may or may not be missing some pieces it's NOS.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, May 10, 2016 - 08:08 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Paulgo and Aaron Staub have said thanks

#4 Aaron Staub OFFLINE  

Aaron Staub
  • 7 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, part is NLA, ebay yes.. maybe.. you don't see these that often for sale, I haven't seen anybody offering these aftermarket, however there are fabrication shops offering repop 3pth for Bolens LF's maybe look their way, Ballard Fabrications in OH is one. Check with our site sponsors Rick Show and Bob Hill in particular salvage units and I believe Rick has his eyes on one, it may or may not be missing some pieces it's NOS.

Thanks for the leads! Yeah eBay looks like a real long shot. I have an email into Ballard Fab. I don't see Rick Show or Bob Hill as user names. Am I safe to assume that it's the same folks in the sponsors section for Ricks Bolens Tractor Parts and Bobs Lawn and Garden Tractors?

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the leads! Yeah eBay looks like a real long shot. I have an email into Ballard Fab. I don't see Rick Show or Bob Hill as user names. Am I safe to assume that it's the same folks in the sponsors section for Ricks Bolens Tractor Parts and Bobs Lawn and Garden Tractors?

Sorry, yup

#6 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 960 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 09:13 PM

These are the correct model numbers for the 3 Point Hitch that will work on your 5020H:

These 3 point hitches will work on all 5000 Series, 5100 Series DuraTracs and Troybilt GTX Tractors, so that may help you expand your search. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a complete 3 point hitch available, but I do have the lower lift links NOS and perhaps a few other pieces. 

A sleeve hitch was also offered for these tractors. Model 50961 or 14071.

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, Paulgo and 2 others have said thanks

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 07:40 AM

Welcome aboard,those were very nice tractors,I'll keep my eyes open for you,you get a chance can you post some pics of your machine,Rick

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, May 11, 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 08:12 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#9 Aaron Staub OFFLINE  

Aaron Staub
  • 7 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Welcome aboard,those were very nice tractors,I'll keep my eyes open for you,you get a chance can you post some pics of your machine,Rick

AF0924ED-7FF5-4896-8CCA-4C225BA919A0_zps

7931250B-D671-45AA-95CE-6192A2FAE106_zps

A34E42F3-90A9-422C-A3F5-D834B6BC493B_zps

My grandfather bought it new at the end of 1985. He bought it with the hydraulic blade for plowing snow in Indiana but it has been lost to history. He was a machinist and fabricator and made a roller for it, but I don't have that either. Not totally sure why be bought this much machine as he had a very small lot, and the hour meter shows minimal use. My parents brought it to Alabama when he died and it had only 130 hrs on it. My Dad used it a little and put the additional 60 hr on it. It had an electrical fault on the lights which burned the wiring but I have sorted that out with some new wire and bulbs. All the fluids are fresh and I've greased all the bearings. I'm moving from a 0.5 acre lot to a 4 acre lot which is why my Dad decided to pass this to me. I cut my old yard with it this week and was stunned at how much better a machine it is than my big box store Husqvarna riding mower. It's about 3x faster and infinitely better built. It's got the 48" deck. If I had known this ten years ago I would have bought a used garden tractor rather than a new riding mower. Looking forward to learning a lot here in terms of how I can take advantage of this great machine.
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#10 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the pics, looks very nice

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP