• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 12:13 PM

Our party place was of all places at the cemetery. 

• hamman said thank you

#32 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 02:03 PM

Close friends and neighbours were not addressed by just their first names  by children, but as Aunt.... or Uncle.....  Anything else was considered rude. "Please" and "thank you" were automatic responses.

• hamman, MFDAC and JBRamsey have said thanks

#33 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 02:05 PM

In a lot of the towns around here he fire siren still sounds at noon, summer and fall field days are still common, there are still several "drive ins without indoor tables, not uncommon to see a tractor in town.  Funny thing is I don't miss PA, the area where I was just got too built up, love the area I am in now, it's sad to see so many leaving and none taking there place.

• hamman, MFDAC and JBRamsey have said thanks

#34 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 09:10 PM

Close friends and neighbours were not addressed by just their first names  by children, but as Aunt.... or Uncle.....  Anything else was considered rude. "Please" and "thank you" were automatic responses.

I'm 50 years old and I still call my relatives Aunt and Uncle. Even the ones that are divorced and not officially in the family anymore.

My mom was the oldest of seven and my daddy is one of six brothers. I spent weekends with most all of them. My moms youngest brother was single for a long time. Staying with him was fun. You got to do anything and everything but you didn't eat very well unless we went to my granny's house for supper. Next was my aunts and uncles that were married but didn't have kids. You didn't get to do quite as much but you ate really well.

One of my uncles worked at a Massey dealership doing everything--working the parts counter, delivering equioment, selling, you name it. I spent a lot of Saturday's with him at work and getting into everything. Out back was a tractor and truck junkyard. That was heaven to an eight year old.

Fun times.
  • MH81, hamman, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#35 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 09:15 PM

Your mother was your 4th & 6th grade teacher, this was not a "country school" (although she began teaching in a country school)!   :wallbanging:

• hamman, MFDAC and oldedeeres have said thanks

#36 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 09:20 PM

We used to ride trees. We would climb small poplar trees until they bent over and the people on the ground could reach some limbs. Then they would grab the limbs and push and pull the tree up and down while you held on with all your might.

The cardboard and grassy hill reminded me. We didn't get snow often but when we did we wore it out. Car hoods and inner tubes were our sleds. Pile five or six kids on a slick car hood and down the road we would go. It's a wonder we all didn't get our heads cut off.

I do remember when I was little we had 18" of snow. The results of that snow is how I honed my hunting skills but that's another story in itself that moves this from small town growing up to being a serious redneck.
  • hamman, MFDAC and LilysDad have said thanks

#37 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 09:36 PM

You know you lived in a small town if all that crap you see these idiots do on you tube was your childhood fun. Dragging a roll up sled behind grandads truck at who knows how fast cause the speedo was broke until your jeans got hot cause the snow ran out and so did your sled.
  • MH81, hamman and MFDAC have said thanks

#38 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 971 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 05:24 PM

You know you lived in a small town if all that crap you see these idiots do on you tube was your childhood fun. Dragging a roll up sled behind grandads truck at who knows how fast cause the speedo was broke until your jeans got hot cause the snow ran out and so did your sled.

Now that's funny
  • hamman and Eric have said thanks

#39 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 06:08 PM

You might be from a small town if . . .you hate going to the big town
  • grnspot110, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#40 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 07:10 PM

There was this one farmer I mainly worked for and he was always Mr. Morris, even with his permission and insistence that we could use his first name. His father was referred to as daddy Bill, by everyone. He was the kindest person I have ever known outside of my family.

I'm sure a few can relate to this story. While cruising around one Saturday night my buddy announces he has to go to the bathroom. So he pulls over on the side of the road, we're in the middle of no where, and walks away towards the front of the truck. I get out and go towards the back, don't want to be weird right. The next thing I hear is my buddy scream and a thud. Seems he managed to find an electric fence......

I still to this day tease him about that.

• KennyP said thank you

#41 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 08:05 PM

There was this one farmer I mainly worked for and he was always Mr. Morris, even with his permission and insistence that we could use his first name. His father was referred to as daddy Bill, by everyone. He was the kindest person I have ever known outside of my family.

I'm sure a few can relate to this story. While cruising around one Saturday night my buddy announces he has to go to the bathroom. So he pulls over on the side of the road, we're in the middle of no where, and walks away towards the front of the truck. I get out and go towards the back, don't want to be weird right. The next thing I hear is my buddy scream and a thud. Seems he managed to find an electric fence......

I still to this day tease him about that.

Ouch, I have hit my head on one of the "live" wires on our high-tensile fence before, worst shock by far though was a direct shot to the hand from a Fairbanks magneto on a Wisconsin BKN, that one hurt.

#42 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 08:25 PM

When your Wikipedia article has 3 sentances.

https://en.wikipedia..._North_Carolina

#43 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 08:58 PM

My town has two sentences.

• UncleWillie said thank you

#44 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 10:38 PM

You guys live in towns that show up in wikipedia or on maps? We have to use a different towns name to even get mail. We went to get a cell phone and were told our address did not exist, and had to register it with the cell phone stores address. The fun parts of rural life, they sometimes make living modern very difficult.
  • MH81 said thank you

#45 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted May 14, 2016 - 11:22 PM

When the town barber was also the Mayor.  (Franklin, OH in the 1950's)

• MH81 said thank you