• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 06:20 AM

hi guys. has anyone grown sweet potatoes in containers? I bought 12 - 55 gallon barrels cut them in half, drilled drain holes in the side, I was going to do a few but I for some reason always go overboard on my interests, must be something wrong with me, so now I'm doing 24 1/2 barrels each about 25+ gallons, bought 250 bags of good soil, (we have grey clay here with only 6 inches of poor top soil) great for melons, squash, corn, but extremely poor for any veggie that grows below grade, so now I have my barrels I am going to grow sweet potatoes, radishes, asparagus, carrots, all the things I could not grow before, so back to the point how many slips of sweet potato to a 1/2 barrel , I was thinking 3-4, not enough? too many? as for potatoes the internet said 7, I was thinking more along the lines of 5 eyes per barrel. any experiences you have had will be appreciated and any plants you have had success with please tell me about. I enjoy growing things I cant get, I always say why spend the time and trouble growing tomatoes when I can buy a bushel  for $5 bucks when they are in season so I only grow odd variety's, thank all and happy gardening 

• boyscout862, HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:03 AM

This is my first go at sweet potatoes I've laid in about 24 plants to try,  does that mean I will get 24 sweet potato ?

#3 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,282 Thanks
  • 6,487 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Check the variety that is a bush type that's what my friend uses for his raised beds those might work better for you

#4 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 403 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 06:36 PM

I plant sweet taters every year,I plant beauregaurd  and have had real good luck with them,1 plant will get ya around 10 lbs or more of taters.I like this kind because the vines dont get quite so long and they dont start growing another plant wherever the vine touches the ground like some do.I have had some single taters weigh as much as 3lbs,even though they can get real big they dont get woody inside,Real good flavor and they keep well too,I am going to trelis the vines this year so they take up less room and the foliage and flowers look nice.I am also gonna try it in containers this year

• limebuzz and Alc have said thanks