• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 coinman66 ONLINE  

coinman66
  • Member No: 72594
  • 163 Thanks
  • 273 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 09:48 PM

I won't use any gas\oil mix in my weed trimmers anymore. Since I only trim weeds twice a month the Trufuel is so worth it. No more gummed up carbs and no start issues. You can leave this stuff in the weed trimmer over winter and it fires right up come spring. U can get it for around $6 a can. Well worth it.

Edited by coinman66, May 09, 2016 - 09:48 PM.

• grnspot110, WrenchinOnIt, robert_p43 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 10:02 PM

not to be a bummer but draining a weedeater for winter should be easy enough. I do agree tru fuel and husqvarna pre mix have a much better shelf life, still not forever though.

#3 coinman66 ONLINE  

coinman66
  • 163 Thanks
  • 273 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 10:10 PM

not to be a bummer but draining a weedeater for winter should be easy enough. I do agree tru fuel and husqvarna pre mix have a much better shelf life, still not forever though.

Aaah but most people don't drain and then they wonder why they have problems. But just draining gas tank won't do either, you still have fuel in carb if u don't run it till it dies.

Edited by coinman66, May 09, 2016 - 10:11 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 10:29 PM

thought that was a given but you are right that is what keeps me in buisness. lazy homeowners and young people who seem to think an oil change may give them rabies.
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and coinman66 have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:18 AM

I am a Tru fuel believer , I buy it in 5 gallon containers at a time in 4 cycle and then use it on my restored tractors that run only a couple times a year so I dont have to worry about draining the tanks or having NLA carb parts be destroyed by ethanol. I also use it it my vintage and current 2 cycle equipment and mix the oil myself. I have found even the old ones idle much better on this pure gas compared to watered down fuel they sell today.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#6 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Yup, ditto on what the Doc says, you can drain all you want but unless you tear the carb down to clean it on your two strokes the Ethanol will eventually take its toll. I run ethanol free 90 oct. in all my GT's and the premixed in the two stroke stuff,I feel I have too much money in my power equipment and GT collection to run junk gas also I'm sick of pulling carbs to clean and rebuild, higher octane means cleaner burn, stuff runs cooler, IMO worth it.
  • Bolens 1000 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:09 AM

I have good luck with ethanol free and sta-bil

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Since I started using it in my 2 cycle equipment about 4 years or more ago, I have had do do absolutely nothing to them but start them up and use them. outside of sharpening chain saw chains and putting new line on the line trimmers.  :thumbs:

#9 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 10:24 AM

We use at the fire dept. Our saws and blowers can sometimes sit for quite a while between uses. We are happy with results

#10 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 11:19 AM

Here we have one gas station who sells 91 octane pure gasoline no ethanol. Run that in all mowers and trimmers. Fixed alot of "problems" within a couple tanks.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

#11 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Yup, ditto on what the Doc says, you can drain all you want but unless you tear the carb down to clean it on your two strokes the Ethanol will eventually take its toll. I run ethanol free 90 oct. in all my GT's and the premixed in the two stroke stuff,I feel I have too much money in my power equipment and GT collection to run junk gas also I'm sick of pulling carbs to clean and rebuild, higher octane means cleaner burn, stuff runs cooler, IMO worth it.

Here we have one gas station who sells 91 octane pure gasoline no ethanol. Run that in all mowers and trimmers. Fixed alot of "problems" within a couple tanks.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

I can get ethanol free 91 at many gas stations around here, use it in everything but the truck, including the Farmall, cost more but worth it.

• Marty'70 said thank you

#12 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 10:00 AM

I am one of those 91 octane ethanol free guys.  Not much carb problem here either.

#13 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 773 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 07:01 AM

I run MMO (Marvels Mystery Oil) in my fuel and it helps a lot. Only thing I don't like about running the carb dry is if you don't use it for a while the fuel dries out and leaves residue behind.  With MMO in your fuel it leaves a protective coating that keeps that white crap from building up. Also puts a bit of lube though the intake for the cylinder & valves. You may see a hint of smoke here and there if you add to much or even foul a plug but for me I prefer to change a plug then to rebuild the carb. 

• KennyP said thank you

#14 3tn66u OFFLINE  

3tn66u
  • Member No: 82900
  • 30 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 11:51 AM

that stuff is like 7-9$ a can here (1 quart cans) thats upwards of 40$ a gallon!!!! id be dead broke with all my 2-smokes. i use redline all sport oil for air cooled engines (70$) a gallon and shell 93 vpower. if im not gonna use the engine for longer then a month i simply pour a small cap full of fuel stabilzer in the tank run it and thats it.  dont run it out of fuel or drain the tank.

if ever i was to have a problem a carb kit,lines and filter 15$ or less good for another 10yrs+

i guess it has its place but not for my usage :D

#15 coinman66 ONLINE  

coinman66
  • 163 Thanks
  • 273 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 08:17 AM

People. Yes it's more than gas. But I only use in my weed trimmer 2 or 3 times a month. My brother in law just gave me a Remington weed trimmer that wouldn't stay running. Emptied gas\oil mixture out of it and put Trufuel in it and now it runs great. If u are using chain saws daily, yah it's not cost effective. It's like $6 a can here in Illinois.

Edited by coinman66, May 22, 2016 - 08:18 AM.