Garden Tractor Forums banner

Yesterday's picture

658 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  toomanytoys84 
#1 ·
Yesterday we were on a special contest and I've made this picture. The tractor is a 1947 LANZ D7506 and Ludwig, the driver, try to start the hot bulb engine. A penny for his thoughts. I hope, you like it.

normal_1298830.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
Special Contest??

Thanks for the photo....Have any more??
Nebraska was holding the record of the Largest Parade Of Classic Tractors in the Guinness Book Of Records with 964 tractors. Now Hesse is holding this record with 1.430 tractors. Some members of our german community took part on the contest. Click here to see more pics.

#5 ·
Dieser Traktor besser beginnen oder es ist aus mit dem Schrotthaufen !
Hard words, Scott!

The only prob we had with the LANZ was, that the right front tire lost the inflation pressure... after 69 years :rolling: No, but the LANZ is german high class workmanship, I think. Ludwig's father bought the Lanz 1947 with steel front wheels. But in fact of the bad roads that time, he bought Jeep rims for his comfort.

Reactions: Cat385B
#6 ·
The hot bulb process has always intrigued me. Seems like a lot of work to start a tractor. Was it a reliable system? I guess you wouldn't just start the tractor to move it out of the way and shut it down. When you started it, it had work to do. Do you have to go through the whole process when the tractor is already warm?

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
The hot bulb process has always intrigued me. Seems like a lot of work to start a tractor. Was it a reliable system? I guess you wouldn't just start the tractor to move it out of the way and shut it down. When you started it, it had work to do. Do you have to go through the whole process when the tractor is already warm?
It was very reliable, LANZ used this system from 1922 to nearly 1952. You have to fire the torch and then the bulb - that needs 10 minutes. Some types were directly started with a gas/diesel mix and a spark plug. After a while you switch to diesel or other fuel. The LANZ accepted every fluid that could be inflamed like naphta or butter or...

And after some minutes, the bulb is cold and the whole process begins again.

Btw, on this photo, Ludwig is waiting that the flame of the torch gets the right colour for the right heat, to put it under the bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.