Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Interesting things you may find in an oil pan.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:33 PM

I've got a 16 hp cast iron Briggs that had a stripped pan bolt. I decided to swap pans with a model 23D parts engine that I have. When I took the pan off the 23 there was a boat load of sludge in it and that was no surprise but what I found in the sludge was ! This screw was in the bottom of the pan. I got this engine as a parts engine but it is pretty much complete and has decent compression.

Attached Thumbnails

• Briggs.jpg

• Gtractor, Lmiller3358, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#2 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 10:21 PM

I thought you knew that is an oil pan sludge stir and particle disturber screw! those are essential and if not in all motors you should get to installing one. Sorry had to say it.
  • rustyoldjunk, KennyP, Lmiller3358 and 1 other said thanks

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,320 Thanks
  • 1,112 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 10:23 PM

I thought you knew that is an oil pan sludge stir and particle disturber screw! those are essential and if not in all motors you should get to installing one. Sorry had to say it.

Its amassing what sludge can lock down on hold, OR not!

Edited by stiemmy, May 08, 2016 - 10:36 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, Lmiller3358 and MFDAC have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 02:43 AM

Wonder where that came from?

• rustyoldjunk, Lmiller3358, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 04:28 AM

Wonder where that came from?

Right from Valvoline!

• rustyoldjunk and MFDAC have said thanks

#6 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 04:28 AM

Previous owner was screwing around it look's !  :rolling:

• rustyoldjunk, MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Only bolt I've ever found in an oil pan was attached to part of a connecting rod.
How didn't that cause problems? Weird.

#8 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 01:42 PM

I was amazed. The dipper don't look to have ever touched it. Not sure what happened there but it sure was an interesting find.

• MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks

#9 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 03:44 PM

We found a leather glove in the oil pan of a Ford tractor at work, the only possible way it could have got in there was by forcing it through the oil fill tube or it was left inside during a rebuild.

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 04:14 PM

I was amazed. The dipper don't look to have ever touched it. Not sure what happened there but it sure was an interesting find.

Me too..  Either the screw came in there from the factory or it was dropped into the fill hole.  It has the looks of an Air or oil bath filter retaining ring..  The round headed straight head gives it away..  Perhaps a clumsy mechanic dropped it into the open oil port..  I never could do it if I tried it but if I don't, it seems to always happen that way!  

On a recent related story in the shop I had a potential buyer coming to see my CC 2165 and it just up and died on me when I was pulling it out of the barn..  (glad he wasn't there when it happened!)  I pulled it in the shop and R & R'ed the Fuel filter and for good measure pulled the carb. top off..  There was some gunkage in the bowl so I pulled the float out and gave the thing a soak with some cleaner..  After setting the cleaner work a while I soaked most of it out with towels then for the remainder I blew it out with an air gun..  

So there I was, blowing the junk out of the carb and I see the inlet needle rise up out of the carb in a wink and proceed to drop down inside the engine shroud.   :wallbanging:  :say_what:   Needless to say a few cross words then even irate phrases were uttered toward the tractor Gods for letting me be dumb enough to leave the stupid thing in there but the damage was done..  As I was fresh out of brass magnets the only way I was going to get the thing out was to pull the front shroud off..  I got to looking where it fell and it also was directly above the flywheel and the crankcase to boot!   :anvil_drop:

Soon came the realization a 5 minute carb clean out has now evolved into an engine R & R!  

I was not pleased to say the least!   :ah_shoot:

So the removal process begins..  Pull the battery to get clearance to pull the blower plate / guard back then the Drive shaft off the front of the flywheel..  I disconnected the starter wires and other wires from the engine..  Then came the exhaust..  OOPS-  Gotta pull the hood off along with the front bumper..   :boo_hoo:   Then the 3 muffler bolts were taken off carefully as a replacement muffler is pricey (I've done it before so I know).  That all is piled to the side out of the way..  THEN..  the motor mount bolts are removed and engine comes out..  More to come..

• rustyoldjunk, Lmiller3358 and MFDAC have said thanks

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 07:58 PM

There is about an inch of a fuel pump arm in the oil pan of my '55 GMC. When I got the junked out truck it didn't get fuel but had ignition. Removed the pump and a piece of the arm that rides on the cam was gone. Put in a new fuel pump and it fired right up! It's still in there. I've been working now and then on a fresher 250 to replace the old 230 so if it lasts that long all is good.

Opps not a tractor---hope that comment was ok!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, May 09, 2016 - 08:01 PM.

• rustyoldjunk and EricR have said thanks

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 09:31 PM

So, to continue the carb clean-out turned horribly wrong..  Once the motor mount bolts are out the engine moves over to the bench..  Now, not to be undone, in order to remove the front shroud, every other shroud and heat sheid needs to be moved out of the way..  I got the feeling that somewhere, a B&S engineer was watching me and snickering over my dilemma..  That PO'ed me even more!   :mad2:

OK, gotta pull the PTO side heat shield off first to get the rest of them off..  Easy huh?  Wait a minute, there are bolts underneath the exhaust manifold..

Yup..  gotta pull that off too..    :ah_shoot:  :bs:

Out come the allen wrenches..  Find the right size & pull the bolts off and yank the manifold & set that in the pile which grows skyward..  OK got the side shields off so I can get to the valley cover..  Next is the Governor linkage and rods..  Pull that off and..  you guessed it-  to the pile..

Can't move the valley shield without removing the...  Crankcase breather..  (only 1 bolt)  Guess where that went...

OK, finally where I want to get to..  the flywheel shroud!  Pulll the bolts and take it off expecting the needle to fall out..  and..

Nope-  no needle!   C'mon!!    :hitting_self_roller:

Well we came this far..  Off comes the flywheel bolt and out comes the puller..  Tighten things up and a love tap and off pops the flywheel..  

Slowly pull the flywheel off and glory be!  The needle was caught on one of the crankshaft flats behind the stator..  Guess what??

Yup! Off comes the stator and, after hours of work, the needle is FINALLY retrieved..

So no, my little OOPs wasn't as amazing as the screw caught in the  crankcase that amazingly didn't fubar the engine but the whole experience was one of those OH *hyt moments! :bs:

• rustyoldjunk, IamSherwood, EricR and 1 other said thanks