• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:24 PM

I recently acquired a 1989  Mastercut lawnmower that is in beautiful shape. However, shortly after  I started my maiden voyage with it around the lawn the muffler popped out. Upon closer inspection, the threaded exhaust port is completely stripped. Half of the port is almost completely smooth. 

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

The block is aluminium so I think welding isn't an option. 

I noticed that there are two screw holes on each side of the port, however I can not seem to find a muffler that would fit those screw holes and also have a long enough neck to get in front of the carburetor. 

I bought a circular pump flange as I saw suggested on another forum, but the smallest one I could find was way too large. 

The only other option I can think of is to buy a whole new block, any idea how I can locate one? 

I guess I could also re-power it, but that seems like overkill, but maybe these old 12hp engines are cheap? If so, any idea where I could find one? 

See Pictures

Thanks a million!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1298.JPG
  • IMG_1300.JPG
  • IMG_1301.JPG

Edited by JakeQT17, May 08, 2016 - 09:26 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:32 PM

if there are 2 screw holes on either side of the port you can get a flange to span those 2 holes and thread or screw a pipe nipple into that flange then a pipe coupler and your muffler.

• Cvans and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 10:01 PM

Weld a flange on your pipe.

Or get one of these and bolt it on.

http://www.ebay.com/...wxajEwcYQiSB4gw

Edited by EricFromPa, May 08, 2016 - 10:22 PM.

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Usually when that happens it is caused by excessive vibration. ......The vibration may be from a bent blade, a bad belt, a damaged pulley,  loose engine mounting bolts or any other cause. 

I don't know if you noticed, but one of the intake mounting screws is missing.  .....This often is also a sign of vibration, if you didn't remove the screw. 

If your engine runs good, there is no reason to replace the block.  ......There are a few ways to mount the muffler.

(1) Pipe threads are tapered, so the end of the threads are a smaller diameter.  ......You may be able to cut a few threads from the end of your pipe, to see if it will engage the threads that are left in the block.

(2) You could make a steel flange with 2 holes to match-up with the holes in the block.  .....A center hole in the flange is sized to be a slip-fit over the pipe outside diameter.  ......The flange can be welded to the pipe, so the pipe fits into the port, but the 2 screws hold the pipe in place.  .....You would probably have to use socket-head screws because the head is smaller than a hex-head bolt. 

(3)  You can fabricate a bracket which is attached to cylinder head bolts or engine mounting bolt.  .....The bracket should be designed so that the muffler pipe can be clamped to the bracket to hold the muffler in place. 

Anything you can do to help support the muffler pipe is helpful.

• Cvans, JakeQT17, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,310 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 10:27 PM

Here ya go, a link I posted a while back, quite ingenious actually, and VERY cheap!

Dont skip to the good stuff, please watch in its full length. There are actually some really good tips in there as well.

http://gardentractor...exhaust-flange/

Edited by stiemmy, May 08, 2016 - 10:33 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, JakeQT17, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 JakeQT17 OFFLINE  

JakeQT17

• Member No: 6095
  • 18 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 08:40 PM

Usually when that happens it is caused by excessive vibration. ......The vibration may be from a bent blade, a bad belt, a damaged pulley,  loose engine mounting bolts or any other cause. 

I don't know if you noticed, but one of the intake mounting screws is missing.  .....This often is also a sign of vibration, if you didn't remove the screw. 

If your engine runs good, there is no reason to replace the block.  ......There are a few ways to mount the muffler.

(1) Pipe threads are tapered, so the end of the threads are a smaller diameter.  ......You may be able to cut a few threads from the end of your pipe, to see if it will engage the threads that are left in the block.

(2) You could make a steel flange with 2 holes to match-up with the holes in the block.  .....A center hole in the flange is sized to be a slip-fit over the pipe outside diameter.  ......The flange can be welded to the pipe, so the pipe fits into the port, but the 2 screws hold the pipe in place.  .....You would probably have to use socket-head screws because the head is smaller than a hex-head bolt. 

(3)  You can fabricate a bracket which is attached to cylinder head bolts or engine mounting bolt.  .....The bracket should be designed so that the muffler pipe can be clamped to the bracket to hold the muffler in place. 

Anything you can do to help support the muffler pipe is helpful.

Thanks I did notice, and there is excessive vibration..no idea why yet.