12 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 02:34 PM

I plowed the garden with the 700 a few weeks ago after doing the model 23 engine transplant last winter. With the factory low speed pulley and the bigger 23 engine this little tractor thinks its bigger than it is. It did a fine job in the garden pulling the factory size 10 inch Simplicity moldboard plow.

Attached Thumbnails

• Simplicity 700 in the garden 5 8 2016.jpg 2.jpg
  • Simplicity 700 in the garden 5 8 2016.jpg
  • Simplicity 700 in the garden 5 8 2016.jpg 6.jpg
  • Simplicity 700 in the garden 5 8 2016.jpg 5.jpg

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 03:50 PM

Glad it worked well for you! A couple extra ponies under the hood helps!

• rustyoldjunk and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 05:07 PM

The torque from that longer stroke engine really helps. The factory bigger pulley slows it down and gives the little tractor more umph too. It is quite a bit slower thru the gears than B1,700,725,and Squire models from the same years with the stock 6 inch pulley. The balance of these models and the limited slip diff makes them incredible pullers when you are working them hard.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 07:14 PM

It looks like it was done by a bigger plow than what's on there, for sure.
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#5 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 08:33 PM

The seat looks a little hard!!    appears to have done a good job.  :thumbs:

I suppose I'll need to look for a set-up like that for my 725.

I'll have to come over and check out what you have.   

Are there any shows or get togethers over there in the near future?

There is  show at the Danville TSC this Sat.  Come on over and bring some tractors.     Rick 

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:13 PM

The seat looks a little hard!!    appears to have done a good job.  :thumbs:

I suppose I'll need to look for a set-up like that for my 725.

I'll have to come over and check out what you have.   

Are there any shows or get togethers over there in the near future?

There is  show at the Danville TSC this Sat.  Come on over and bring some tractors.     Rick 

Rick come on over anytime,just give me a shout when you want to stop by. We have what should be a big show coming up this weekend at Big R in Crawfordsville. It covers farm tractors,old trucks,garden tractors and more. I have decided to cancel this years West Central Indiana show and swap meet. The grounds owner raised the rent price for the 3rd straight year and without charging its just too much money to put out. There will be two or 3 other shows here close a little later in the year.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, May 08, 2016 - 09:13 PM.

#7 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:14 PM

It looks like it was done by a bigger plow than what's on there, for sure.

Thats the 10 inch plow that did the job Cat.

• Cat385B said thank you

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 1,604 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Those little tractors will pull a 10" plow with the original Briggs 19 or 19D. I plowed my garden last year with my Allis B1. I did rebuild the original 19D and the engine didn't bog down at all. It's great to see these old machines still doing what they were built to do. Great job plowing!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150518_103933-1.jpg

#9 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 10:02 PM

Those little tractors will pull a 10" plow with the original Briggs 19 or 19D. I plowed my garden last year with my Allis B1. I did rebuild the original 19D and the engine didn't bog down at all. It's great to see these old machines still doing what they were built to do. Great job plowing!

You are right. Thats what I was trying to imply when I said the factory size plow. The plow offered for these when new was a 10 inch. I will say I do enjoy this tractor a lot more than the other 700,725,B1 and early Squire tractors that I have had. I really like the slower torquier feel of the bigger drive pulley and while the model 19's are great engines,I love the sound and feel of the longer stroke 9-16 Briggs engines.

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 1,604 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 10:34 PM

I have to agree with you, Rusty. I have a 16 on my Allis Big Ten and there's a big difference in power. It's really noticeable when pushing heavy wet snow.

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 06:12 AM

Looking good! Which holy size pulley did you use? The 8-inch or the ten inch?

My second reaction to the pictures must mean I'm getting old... It looks awful hard on the rear and the ears! I didn't realize how soft and cushy and quiet I like my tractor's. ;)

#12 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 12:56 PM

Looking good! Which holy size pulley did you use? The 8-inch or the ten inch?

My second reaction to the pictures must mean I'm getting old... It looks awful hard on the rear and the ears! I didn't realize how soft and cushy and quiet I like my tractor's. ;)

Josh this tractor has a factory 8 inch and I think its probably a nice compromise. With as much as it slowed this tractor down compared to say the 61 (725) Squire that's out in the shop too,that has the standard 6 inch pulley,I'm guessing the 10 inch would make the tractor too slow for about anything but tilling.

As for the seat,I know,lol. I have been making a seat for this tractor for over 20 years and haven't got it done yet. I have a foam pad that I use for a seat for now. We have a show coming up this weekend and I said two months back I was going to get the seat finished for it before this show,well...maybe before the summer is over...

The stack a friend made for me and has been on this tractor for 15 years and I completely agree with you about noise. It was a straight pipe for years but it was too loud to use much. Now it has a baffle pipe from a 4 stroke four wheeler in it,wrapped in packing. It actually quieter than most mufflers. It has a nice tone to it too. I'm not a big stack fan anymore and rarely add a stack these days. I have several custom made mufflers and normally turn them down anymore when I put them on. A stack has to be in proportion to the tractor or they just don't look right IMHO. One a side note the straw that broke the camels back on putting a muffler inside the stack on this tractor was when I was leaving a show with it 7-8 years back and a police officer told me to shut it off and push it out because I was interrupting the band.....lol

Edited by rustyoldjunk, May 09, 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#13 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 01:27 PM

I should have added that stacks are usually in the way for me on tractors that I want to use much because of low hanging limbs.

I also need a counter weight badly. The manual lift is very rough to try to bring the plow out of the dirt with. So hard a pull on the lever that I was a little worried about the possibility of of something in the lift breaking.