Once we got it all back together, we turned the shafts and, sure enough, it shifted fine and the output shafts turned at what seemed like all the right times for the selector position.
Once we got the transmission back together, we put all the stuff we took off back together.
Sadly the machine had sat so long, it got some condensation in the gas tank. I drained the gas tank and serviced the carb and tried again. You can see what looks like water in the bottom of the pan I drained it all into.
Took me a few times to get it clean enough to run. On one trip to the shop, I managed to lose the gasket for the bolt that holds the carb bowl on.
This tiller is powered by a 6 hp Brigs and Stratton I/C Intek engine. Briggs engines are very common, so a carb kit should be readily available, right? WRONG! Another afternoon chasing around Red Deer dealers got me to a point where I had one on order, but I couldn't find one in town. I've complained about Husky dealers before, but I can't believe what went on this time... The Husky Lawn and Garden dealer parts staff in Red Deer couldn't even open the web page to look up the parts. They took my cell number and called me 3 hours later with pricing and the news that I'd have to order and wait a week or 10 days for a carb kit.
I had some gasket material and some ideas.... Washer gaskets are just two circles of different sizes punched out on the same center, so..... Back to the lathe. I gathered up some more scraps of rod and made some gasket punches.
The punches are just mild steel rod left soft. All I had to do was cut one circle each, so more effort wasn't warranted. I put the gasket material left over from making the transmission gasket on a scrap piece of soft pegboard for a backing board and punched out the larger circle (0.600"). I then put the cutout on the backing board and centered the smaller punch on it by eye and cut the inside hole (0.370"). I had some trouble getting the slug out of the smaller punch, so I took it back to the lathe and drilled a through hole for an ejector pin. The ejector is just a 1/8" welding rod I knocked the flux off of for a different project.
Anyway the gasket seemed to work fine. There is no sign of fuel leaking around the bolt.
After all this aggravation, the tiller finally did start. it starts great, but runs like it is starving for fuel. I think the rubber seat in the carb has swollen a bit from the carb cleaner I had to use to get all the crap out of the carb. The tiller did run just well enough to finally get the Mrs' garden plot tilled for the first time in 5 years. I even got to introduce mini me to rototiller operation.
I'm hoping the fuel starving issue will be resolved when I finally get the carb kit I ordered installed. It was ordered a week ago, so should be here this week, maybe. I have other, more pressing stuff on the list, so no telling exactly when this will rise to the top again.
Edited by camdigger, May 09, 2016 - 12:44 PM.