• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 08:17 AM

Perfect day to do some plugging er I mean aerifying to the lawn after the last few days of rain the ground was perfect.

I've lived at my place for many years now and have always just had "green" stuff in my yard and was happy, this year I'm going to try to keep a nice yard that includes grass not just "green stuff" and get some serious seat time on my equipment!

Who else was plugging this year?

PS Spent the morning calibrating my tank sprayer for 1000 sq ft output so I can actually mix things correctly and know within a reasonable accuracy how much I am putting down on the yard.

Attached Thumbnails

• aerator.jpg
  • aerator-1.jpg
  • aerator-2.jpg

• jpackard56, boyscout862, Sawdust and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 08:42 AM

I only aerate while I overseed. My lawn isn't thick enough yet to worry about plugging it, but I'm getting there.

$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWtOBR)2TtU2+w~~_32-260

• Brucepts said thank you

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Well right now all I have in dirt..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160502_124650.jpg

• Sawdust and Brucepts have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Tractor is looking good. How is the other tractor coming along? And there is sunshine again! That was a long stretch of cloudy weather.

#5 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 07:40 PM

Tractor is looking good. How is the other tractor coming along? And there is sunshine again! That was a long stretch of cloudy weather.

The 149 loader project was put on hold last year, hope to get back on it again in the next month or two. I needed a new Mig welder and got that mid winter and waiting to go pickup a plasma cutter for some other fabrication projects I want to work on, so the loader went on hold till I get my new fabrication tools. Plenty of other things to do though so no worry :D

I had a new septic tank installed so I have some big dirt spots to take care of Auburn David I decided I would take the cost of them landscaping it back to the way they wanted it to buy my own attachments and do it the way I wanted it, might not have been the smartest move on my part on getting it done faster but it justifies buying attachments LOL

Cat385B, I just picked up a seeder/slit aerator two weeks ago for $15 at a yard sale and plan on putting it to use in the future for my seeding duty. At the golf course I work at part-time we plug our fairways and greens but I talked to the Supervisor the other day about slit aerating inbetween plugging, I'm on the lookout for a used (cheap) slitter that I can modify for use on my rear sleeve hitch so I can get into the areas I can't with the pull behind unit.

• shorty said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 08:15 PM

I've tried twice (unsuccessfully) to get an old bluebird slit seeder at auctions to make a 3 point unit, but they bring big $ around here.

#7 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 07:38 PM

I've tried twice (unsuccessfully) to get an old bluebird slit seeder at auctions to make a 3 point unit, but they bring big $ around here.

I picked up a Craftsman like the one in the picture you have in your first post. Had been looking for something local to me on CL but didn't want to spend to much on something I would use a little, I did buy my core aerator new, should have waited to find one on CL. Last year there were none to be had locally, this year I saw a bunch go figure?

#8 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 12, 2016 - 07:53 PM

I just picked up one and used it today.  I figure if I ever get moisture in the soil I will do it again.  It went down an inch in some places, others 3 where it was semi moist.  I did have to repair it twice today, I beat the heck out of it on my hard soil.

• Brucepts said thank you

#9 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 05:24 PM

Is anyone else having a hard time keeping the yard mower with all this wet weather? I mow 3 acres and Cut 1/2 last weekend thinking I'll get the rest this weekend. Well the half I cut last weekend is as tall as the rest of the yard.. Now if it would just quit raining. :boo_hoo:

• KennyP said thank you

#10 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Cut mine last Monday and again Friday evening......growing like weeds this time of year.

Speaking of weeds (dandelions)......I promised the daughters that I would help save the bees, so the dandelions stay for a bit.....thats my story for having a yellow lawn and am sticking to it

• larrybl and KennyP have said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 28, 2016 - 10:31 PM

I've been mowing twice a week way too early for that. Two maybe three days of sun then rain, you can almost watch it grow.

#12 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 29, 2016 - 06:42 AM

I've been mowing 1-2 times a week between the rain, was able to get it sprayed for weeds and crabgrass about 12 days ago will need a second spray for weeds this week. My yard this year is looking fuller and I am sure my "plugging" helped that. Dandelions are totally gone from my yard, "pig ears" are on their way out but the clover is still hanging on as well as some other large leaf thing.

I'm looking for a slitting aerator I can use for a monthly aerifying but haven't stumbled into a cheap one on Craigslist locally.