#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 09:36 PM

Dirty tractor I mean here! I pulled apart a big Power King I got last year as a parts machine. This is the new hydro ones with Power Steering and nice hitches and such. MAN, never saw so much dirt build up in my life. Two oil coolers on side were so full of dirt, you couldn't see thru them. And the box floor they were in was covered with about 1" of mudd and gunk. This is NOT much greasy stuff, there was some on it, but mostly just dirt and grass. I would say it never saw a hose or soap in it's life and just used till it didn't work anymore or something?? I pulled engine and washed and later took off the air cleaner top of the V-twin and just lots of greasy gunk IN the cleaner, outside the cleaner and over top of engine. What a mess. I tried carb cleaner on it, till it ran out. The carb came out pretty good, but not much else. I then used air nozzle to try to blow off the stuff that was soaking there and it worked some. I would like to have good cleaner like Brake Kleen to use, but that stuff is hard on rubbers and plastics, so won't do that. Lots of hoses, wires and plastics in this area. Maybe just try another can or so of carb cleaner and let it go with what comes off. Took a few pix of the frame and engine with dirt. Keep in mind this is also after MUCH of the dirt fell off or was knocked off to find bolts and such. Big pile on floor under tractor. I will be rolling this thing out just to clean off with Power Washer later, just because! Also couple shots of my PK that I am fixing up with the engine and parts from this one. Looks like mounting the engine and driveshaft will be first before I can add any tin and steering mount. THEN, will have to figure out where all those hoses go and route thru.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160507_210848.jpg
  • 20160507_210859.jpg
  • 20160507_210908.jpg
  • 20160507_210923.jpg
  • 20160507_210827.jpg
  • 20160507_210834.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 07, 2016 - 09:39 PM.

• MH81, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 11:53 PM

Yup just degreased most of a NH s14 last nite as best as I could with some BH 38 butyl based degreaser, a solvent tank brush a putty knife and a garden hose. It sucks not having power washer any more.
My diesel fired one got stolen and the next one that I bought is a steaming pile of crap.... Holey burner and bad pump, waste of $500 on that one
Sorry for the thread jack

Edited by dodge trucker, May 07, 2016 - 11:55 PM.

• Oldford said thank you

#3 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 12:16 AM

Best degreaser I've found: 1/2 cup of Ammonia + 1/2 cup of Dawn in quart spray bottle topped with hot water. Used outside. Soak for 10 minutes. Brush if heavy layer. Rinses right off. Works for me.

Not responsible for misuse.

• KennyP, JDBrian, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 03:09 AM

That thing is dirty!

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:10 AM

Looks like you did a good job cleaning.  When washing/blasting a tractor where does all the grunge go?  My dog eats everything, only wipe stuff with a rag, can't blast it or he might find it

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 10:43 AM

but oldford you really gotta keep on top of it for that to be all that is needed. I have not had any of my units since new, the one I am working on now is 44 years old, but I have only had it about a month or so. All that is there, was left for me by past owners. and it is hard, caked on.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Wash parts on crete drive, witch flows down to the GRAVEL drive that soaks it all up, OR if big enough water flow, starts rolling down the paved hill road and disperses on the way.  If I wash on gravel only, it splashes up all over the just cleaned areas and is never ending washing it off.  When done on crete, can power wash it clean and down to gravel and DONE! I always get offers to pave this little stretch, but it is my dirty wash, thinners and cleaners dump of the world. AND, even the dirty sandblasting sand gets spread around there.  No Environment issues here from ME!