• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 warhawknm OFFLINE  

warhawknm
  • Member No: 82772
  • 19 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hello, I am new here.  What got me into lawn tractors?

Well I suffer from a great deal of nostalgia.  Because of that I am a really big history buff and I tend to do things to relive better times in my life.  There has been a part of my life that has been errased due to trauma and I guess I do things to try and relive the past.  I didn't know my only grandpa very much.  He was a very quite person, but he always tinkered outside on his lawn mowers.  Here is me around 1990 when my grandpa bought this Agway 11/38 lawn tractor from the local Agway dealership.  My grandpa worked right next door at a lumber yard.  He got dementia in his early 60's and died in 1999.  I regret never really knowing my grandpa because he was ill most of my childhood.

A few years ago I bought a Agway 46/18 because I always wanted another Agway to remember and honor my grandpa.  I want to be just like him, tinkering out in the shed with an Agway.  Im 30 now.  A lot of people dis an Agway/MTD tractor.  But to me, they are a good tractor-my grandpa bought one!

My grandpa and me.   Miss you grandpa....... :(

10272760_889137424435152_885741889184785

Edited by warhawknm, May 07, 2016 - 05:05 PM.

• Bolens 1000, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 16 others have said thanks

#2 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Welcome  to the site. If the tractor has sentimental value for you and you like it then that is really all that matters. Enjoy your tractor and the memories of your grandfather.

Jim

• DougT, hamman, truck21 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Welcome to the site! The reasons are many as to why we do the things we do. The older I get, the more I do things just because dad or grampa did it. It may not be the best or easiest way, but it helps me deal with loss in a way. Have fun with the site and all the camaraderie. Good bunch of guys on here!

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
  • truck21, jpackard56 and Eric have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 07:53 AM

:welcometogttalk:  Nice story about your desire to work/play with GT's!

#5 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 784 Thanks
  • 516 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:11 AM

What got me into tractors was the need to use them. What got me into old tractors was several things most of witch have all to do with simplicity and durability. I was not brand specific at first as any old well build machine would fit my needs but as I started acquiring tractors that suit my needs I got to thinking having multiple tractors for multiple purposes is great and all but man is it going to be rough having extra parts for each of these on hand. Thats when I decided to go with one kind of tractor and just get multiple of those. I chose the sears suburbans because I like the riding set up. Its a simple easy to use tractor and not to hard to find parts & attachments for. For me it could have been any brand of tractor as long as it was an older American made piece of pride.  I also have a weak right knee and had to go with something with the brake on the left. I also had to consider my wife she likes to drive the hydros and sears has a hydro version and a manual version. 

I see that Agway has a left side brake 

• jpackard56 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted May 08, 2016 - 11:09 AM

what got me into tractors was a couple of things/ first was my desire from a young age to rip things apart to see what they looked like on the inside, and the other thing was something that I still do not totally "get" 30-some years later... my Mom..

You see my sister passed away in 1979 when I was 12,(she was 22 and away at college)  and most of my teenage years I was not allowed to spend much time at all at friends' houses...even though what happened was "natural cause".  the old "can't let them out of your sight" thing.. I wasn't allowed to ride my 10 speed off of out dead end street, unless my bother or sister were with me,,, not my neighbors or my friends. the rare times that I did get to go anywhere I had the earliest curfews, by hours, compared to my buddies. To a point that it was not worth  making the effort to go out even when Dad did step up for me and convince my mom to let me do anything beyond the hedges of our front yard.

I basically had to leave pretty much as soon as I got there and start walking home to meet the draconian curfews I had. 

so partly to stave off boredom, it was "something to do"   and now a days I cannot stand this "global economy" BS and the severe cheapening up of everything known to man, nothing built to last anymore, coming from China just to be thrown away when anything breaks on it, I miss the days of everything being repairable and built to last.

• limebuzz and jpackard56 have said thanks