9 replies to this topic

#1 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 03:53 PM

I have 4 deere tractors, Mower decks for 3 of them, Actually work 2 of them, and don't cut a blade of grass with either. So i decided i wanted to get one tractor to the point where i can mow with it. My options are my 73' 140 and my 64' 110. The yard isn't big so either would be fine. The 140 might actually be a bit big, but it would look darn good. Since i work the 140 more than any other tractor, i deiced i would get that deck up to snuff. 

So i dug the mower deck out of the corner where its been hiding for a couple years. Kinda forgot how bad it was when i got it. But i started tearing into it. I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to wonder if its worth fixing, Its lighter and lighter every time you move it, and I'm afraid if i send the shell out to a sandblaster, all i will get back is a mower deck shaped block of cheese. All three pulleys will need replaced, and the tensioner. 

IMG_0732_zps9uax94f9.jpg

IMG_0737_zpss2k0vike.jpg

IMG_0739_zpsmh7xo437.jpg

IMG_0738_zpsqi5pg7oe.jpg

IMG_0736_zps3nqs6xk3.jpg

IMG_0740_zpstpmriymq.jpg

I mean everyone's threshold for this kinda thing is different. But my deck for the 110 is in far better condition, PO mowed with is every now and again before i took ownership. Its noisy so the spindles will need re done, and i'd like to coat the under side with something. But the engine in the 110 is tired. It doesn't smoke real bad or anything but the 140 just had a fresh rebuild. Along with i have a preference of hydro over gear drive for mowing.

IMG_2112_zpsbvag5ljp.jpg

Whats your opinion? To far gone? It's cherry? It can be fixed?

• angelzs69 and rebaax4 have said thanks

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 05:29 PM

thats in pretty rough shape.It might be better for you to advertise for one and just hopefully you'll beable to buy one for a lot cheaper then what the cost of trying to rebuild /fix that one up.

• Trav1s and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 05:32 PM

Nothing wrong with that deck. Smear some 3M 5200 on it, and you'll

be good for a few laps. :D

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:26 PM

You will probably be better off looking for something like this http://newlondon.cra...5574514028.html  or using the other deck. I'd rather rebuild an engine than fight with repairing a rotted deck. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 07:19 PM

2 things i don't like doing, welding on a mower deck, and changing out a mower deck.  I picked up a decent mowing tractor this spring, it was already patched and i brazed on one other small patch but the bearings are all good so i didn't mind a small welding job.  I have another tractor i use for winter chores so i don't have to change implements.  If we ever start a garden i'll get a plow for my winter tractor and just trade it out in spring.  I hate monkeying around with mower decks, crawling around and wrestling a deck while bent over but that's just me, good luck

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 09:05 AM

I'd look for another one for the 140 as that would make a much nicer worker than a RF.  Don't hear that as dissing on the RF either.  I used a '66 110 before my 120 was done and the hydrostatic trans makes life much easier.  You might also consider findings a 41 deck for the 140.  I use one on my 120 and it works on my .40 acre lot in town.  

#7 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 05:47 PM

I think i'll look into another deck, there's no hurry to any of this. I have the deck torn apart right now. The spindles will go in the spares shelf, the housing and shafts are likely fine. I will probably rebuild the spindles on 110 deck for now. That way i'll have at least one working. I'll keep an eye out for a nicer 140 deck or maybe a package deal kinda thing. As for the model 41 deck I think i'd prefer 48. I'd rather have the bigger deck since i know the 110 is smaller than the two of them.

Anyone have any suggestion on what to paint the under sides of decks with?  I don't wanna paint the outside of the deck till i paint the tractor.  But the underside I've heard works better with a smooth shiny surface. Just paint and primer? some kinda of epoxy paint?

#8 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 09:42 AM

Saw this pic of a patched ford/holland deck.  not sure if it helps or not, just an idea, good luck

DSCN0895.jpg

#9 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted June 08, 2016 - 01:09 PM

2 things i don't like doing, welding on a mower deck, and changing out a mower deck. I picked up a decent mowing tractor this spring, it was already patched and i brazed on one other small patch but the bearings are all good so i didn't mind a small welding job. I have another tractor i use for winter chores so i don't have to change implements. If we ever start a garden i'll get a plow for my winter tractor and just trade it out in spring. I hate monkeying around with mower decks, crawling around and wrestling a deck while bent over but that's just me, good luck

I agree. I hate wrestling with those things too. Probably why I always liked rear mowers...

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • Oldford said thank you

#10 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted June 09, 2016 - 06:09 AM

I been known to tackle some tough task and at times do some dumb things....but I would not touch that deck

• massey driver said thank you