8 replies to this topic

#1 warhawknm OFFLINE  

warhawknm
  • Member No: 82772
  • 19 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 01:57 PM

Hello,

I have a old 1993ish Agway/MTD 46/18 Garden tractor.  It's been a great tractor and mows the lawn very well leaving nice cut paths.

the last two years I've had problems.  After replacing both drive melts the conditioned improved but not completely.  The mower started having problems going up grades.  I have to lower the gear to make up even the smallest  grad.  After having mowing this way for over a year it has gotten worst.  Generally I mow in 4th gear and after awhile the tractor just creeps slowly.  So then I put the tractor in 3rd gear and it goes fine.  But again, after awhile the tractor starts creeping slowly again.  Now I can't get it to move at all in 2nd and 3rd gear.  Im handy at fixing tractors, but this has got me stumped.  The tractor has some sentimental values to me.

Thanks,

Nate

Edited by warhawknm, May 07, 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 02:23 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!

Does the belt seem to be slipping when it slows down?

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 02:25 PM

:camera: :welcometogttalk: Sounds like a slipping belt or a pulley is slipping on the shaft

#4 warhawknm OFFLINE  

warhawknm
  • 19 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 02:41 PM

Hello!  thank you for the welcome!

I replaced the belts two years ago and still had some problems.  They were the hardest things to get on and I almost want to say the tractor dealer ship gave me the wrong size as it was VERY tight.  But Im so busy with other stuff I just left it as is.  But it sucks I can't get up hills or anything.  I can try buying new belts and maybe putting a new middle slip pulley on.  Im guessing if anything that might be the problem.  But was wondering if anyone here can pinpoint. 

I also have to ad that the clutch is VERY stiff at times and other times its normal.  it takes a mule to stomp it down. 

-Nate from Pa

P.s.  Im restoring a Ih Cub Cadet 1650 and also own a Cub 122.

Edited by warhawknm, May 07, 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 02:43 PM

Welcome to GTT. We want to help you. First, look in our Manuals Section for the manual for your tractor. I will try to find the manual and post the link here. There are several on this page http://gardentractor...r_key=all&st=30    The guide pins must be set right or they can cause problems. One thing that is not clear about your problem, is the engine losing power or is the belt(or a pulley) slipping? When posting questions, pics help alot. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 07, 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#6 warhawknm OFFLINE  

warhawknm
  • 19 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

I bought the tractor used 4 years ago and he didn't have the manual for it.  And its a bit of a rare beast and many internet searches haven't pin pointed the right manual.  several tractors of this type are similar but turn out using different parts.  :(

The engine is not losing power at all.   I was just out trying to drive it around and the best I can do is go .004 mph in 5th gear.  It won't move in 2nd or 3rd gear at all now.  Last year I'd mow in 4th gear for about 15 minutes then the tractor would start to slow down and force me to go to a lower gear to move up grades.  Now this spring its worst.

I just took off both drive belts and the v/s slip pulley I suspect maybe is causing the problems, but not sure.  Im afraid Im not sure which guide pins  your referring to.  The entire pulley system looks fine to me and works fine AFAIN.

Thank you for the welcome and thank you to everyone that is trying to help me. 

The current belts I have on are : MTd 754-0358 front and MTD 754-0362 rear

Correction: its 18/46 14 speed-IC. 

Cheers,

Nate

Edited by warhawknm, May 07, 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:14 PM

How easy is it to get in and uncover the rear? What I am thinking is get in to the drive pulley on the rear. With the belt off chuck up a drill and spin it to see if the problem continues. My thought is that this splits the variables, possible belt issues and rear end trouble.

#8 warhawknm OFFLINE  

warhawknm
  • 19 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:57 AM

Hello all,

I took off the v/s pulley and am inspecting it.  I do not have manual for it so not sure what part numbers to look for.  No manual on GTF to match.  I was looking on ebay for replacement pulley and noted some come with a bearing.  I don't think I have a bearing on this one and not sure where it would go if one goes to it.  Any help with part numbers, where it goes would be helpful.

its like this one.  Tractor seriel has corroded so can't tell the numbers on plate.

attachment_zpsgxisqyoi.jpg

Thanks,

Nathan

Edited by warhawknm, May 10, 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 11, 2016 - 07:01 AM

Without the MTD model #'s it will be hard finding parts/manuals for it.