8 replies to this topic

#1 Photoman63 OFFLINE  

Photoman63
  • Member No: 82767
  • 5 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for adding me to this forum.

My son was cutting grass yesterday when he said the mower just died. after a few attempts it started back up, but only for a few more minutes. It died again, this time would not even turn over. I successfully  started it when I got home, after dark, so I turned on the lights and made another pass around the yard. It died on me as well. The lights dimmed down as the motor came to a stop. I tried to restart, but got nothing, would not even turn over. I think the lights should come on even if the motor is not running. Don't think it is a fuel issue, I'm think electrical. I'm not sure where to start. any help with this issue would be most appreciated. 

• MH81 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 10:06 AM

Welcome to the forum. Did you check the battery voltage when it quit? Maybe it isn't charging and the voltage gets low enough to quit?  Posting the model of the tractor might help someone help you. At least we'll know what we are working on.

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 10:17 AM

:welcometogttalk: What he says

#4 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 769 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 10:54 AM

For sure its an electrical issue. But in order for anyone to assist you fully you will have to identify what kind of tractor you have. We can take a few general shots in the dark not knowing what kind it is but knowing what kind it is most of the time leads to an actual part and or solution for a repair. 

Sound to me though that your charging system failed and that the batter lost all its power keeping the lights on and machine  running. could be a bad part or a loose connection. 

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 11:20 AM

Yepp, welcome to GTt! What brand is your mower/gt- I didn't read it!

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 11:28 AM

On most GTs the lights will NOT work unless the engine in running.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#7 Photoman63 OFFLINE  

Photoman63
  • Member No: 82767
  • 5 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for responding so quickly.

If you recall I was able to start the tractor again after dark. Well a new day brings new light. I went out to put the charger on the battery to see if it would crank after a few hours of charge. But I thought I would try to start it one more time. I mounted up, pushed in the brake pedal/safety start switch, and viola! she turn over, and tried to start. I opened the hood, took off gas cap, checked the gas level, and sure enough it was bone dry. So after quenching her thirst, she fired right up!

Now my son did say that when it died yesterday his foot was on the brake, when he tried to restart it, but it still would not turn over.

My son told he emptied the gas can into the mower. He just didn't tell me it was small can for the weedeater that only half full, not the larger can.

SO for now she is up and running. Hope I don't have anymore issues with her, but if  I do, I know where to start looking for answers.

Thanks again for seeing my post and responding so quickly.

remember Keep the sun to your back, and the grass discharge down wind.

By the way she is a 90's model craftsman model #917287120.

• Dieselcubmike, Auburn David and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for responding so quickly.

If you recall I was able to start the tractor again after dark.

Now my son did say that when it died yesterday his foot was on the brake, when he tried to restart it, but it still would not turn over.

My son told he emptied the gas can into the mower. He just didn't tell me it was small can for the weedeater that only half full, not the larger can.

I hope the gas fixes it, but......I don't see how an empty tank would keep it from turning over. Is that as in "no crank"? A good battery will bring itself back up somewhat after sitting for a while. That could possibly restart the tractor and run a while until the voltage dropped.

#9 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 01:58 PM

:welcometogttalk:

I bet the weed-eater gasoline really made it smoke!