• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 02:36 AM

I just got a new 1025r john deere and was wondering what I should charge an hr to till for people and bush hog?I don't want to over charge and I don't want to under cut myself as well. I am just trying to help with some of the cost. I know the factors differ for distance and that but that I can figure out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 05:29 AM

I don't do to much of either any more but I generally charge $50 an acre for bush hogging with a $150 minimum and gardens I generally get $50 minimum for an average garden that is within 30 min drive that has been tilled in the last two years.  just my two cents

Pete

• MH81, Alc, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 05:52 AM

Some places, the market will bear more or less.
I don't do any for pay. I do our old pastures and the widow down the road's field behind the house.

Hope it's profitable and safe for you

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:19 AM

make sure you protect yourself and get a liability form sighed, I wrecked a bushhog on a steel pipe almost a total loss the owner stated oh I thought you would clear it, the second time was over 2hrs cutting out barbed wire they left laying in the grass with old 9 strand fencing, they are as I found out can be hard to spot sometimes and a heap of trouble, sort of like how when a nail is lying flat, why does it stick straight up when you drive over it? one of the mysteries of life!

• MiCarl said thank you

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 828 Thanks
  • 474 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:24 AM

make sure you protect yourself and get a liability form sighed, I wrecked a bushhog on a steel pipe almost a total loss the owner stated oh I thought you would clear it, the second time was over 2hrs cutting out barbed wire they left laying in the grass with old 9 strand fencing, they are as I found out can be hard to spot sometimes and a heap of trouble, sort of like how when a nail is lying flat, why does it stick straight up when you drive over it? one of the mysteries of life!

This highlights part of my concern.

You need to charge enough to cover the inevitable wear and damage to your equipment.

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:43 AM

Barbed wire and a Bush Hog, not a happy pairing

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 08:19 AM

When I was younger I would drive anybody anywhere for gas money. But when you need tires or repairs you and factor in the cost of insurance, tags and such...I realize I was paying them to give them a ride.