• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:51 AM

My insurance guy once told me that a mower was covered under homeowners insurance because it was a necessity.

#17 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • Member No: 81957
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 04:43 PM

DW doesn't want to make a claim on Homeowners Insurance "They'll just raise the rates".
Maybe.
Turned the carcass over to mechanic that did last service, 2015.
Interesting conversation. According to him - don't buy a Koehler "they leak oil at the cylinder head" and he knew of 3 more had same issue, one burned down a garage, insurance paid for that.
DW sent me a URL for another forum that had string about Koehlers burning up. Can't figure how to paste it in😕
Sounds to me like the basis for a class action?
Anyways mine was a 2010 so I got shy of 6 years out of it, roughly $20 - 30 a month (bad at math)?
We have a city acre, 1.2 or there about and need a rider. But it'll be a Kawasaki engine next. Maybe I can pick up a good used one.
Stay safe out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  • MH81 and BNK have said thanks

#18 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Oh yeah - left cylinder caught fire under the cowling. Was an oil leak fire. By the time I saw the smoke proably too late.

#19 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 04:47 PM

I bailed when I saw the smoke but opening the hood only made it worse. Tried to smother the fire, with towel, wet towel, fire extinguisher, and finally water hose. Not that any of that did any good.

#20 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 07:58 PM

You could sell it as "Ran when parked".

Craigslist ad says "Ran when I parked it" Sorry couldn't help myself. Glad to hear you made it out safe!

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

#21 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 06:34 AM

Kohler "Courage" engine? We have seen the same results in our area. Rubber vent tube gets hard and cracks then leaks oil, mixed with build up of grass clippings and heat. Sorry for your loss but glad you are ok!

#22 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 06:53 AM

Kohler, yes. Don't buy one.

#23 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 08:19 AM

Any engine has their weak points. The briggs twin powered stuff has the fuel pump right over the hot muffler. Any leak at the fuel pump due to cracked fuel line or loose pump bolts can turn into an ugly fire. MTD had the recall because of the cheap Chinese fuel filters.

I cant say much about the Kaws because the only ones I see have bad head gaskets on the water cooled units and a hole in the block on the air cooled stuff. 

Edited by tater195, May 09, 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#24 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 09:28 AM

For sale for parts, cheap😯.

Man, if only you were closer! :D

Did you try buffing it out?

Seriously, homeowners paid for my old Murray when my son and 4 friends ran over it with my golf cart. I'd just finished washing it after mowing and went in to let it dry before putting in the shed. I heard a bang and a lot of loud talking. They were about 12-13, talking and playing and all that, hit it at about 10 mph, rolled the mower over and landed on top, the boys got off and before they could call me a spark from the batteries that were shorted in the golf cart set the whole cluster f--k on fire and burned them into a melted chunk of plastic, aluminum and rubber. But hey, I had one good wheel and tire from the mower, and 5 scared boys, that thankfully were no worse for the adventure.

PS; They paid for the Harley Davidson golf cart, too. I paid $600 for it, they wrote me a check for $1200. They did depreciate the mower, it was 2 years old and I paid something like $795 for it and got $600 for it. Wish I had pictures, but that was before everyone had a cell phone camera, my son will be 40 in a couple of weeks.

• KennyP said thank you

#25 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 05:04 PM

I think it overheated. At least you got off before the conflagration caught you. Never good to be straddling a fire.

#26 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 09:24 PM

That stinks. A little smoke turns into a lot of fire pretty quickly. My pickup caught fire in my driveway last year. It gets exciting when you start running out of fire extinguisher before you start running out of fire.

Glad that you are ok, but it does serve as a reminder to let everything cool down good before putting it back in the shed.
  • toppop52 said thank you

#27 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 08:19 AM

Glad that you are ok, but it does serve as a reminder to let everything cool down good before putting it back in the shed.

I think you can put it away now! :D

#28 Chucktin ONLINE  

Chucktin
  • 32 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 10, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Ok, I'm replacing it with a Husqvarna LT, 42" deck _but_ Kawasaki 18.5 hp twin. The several sales people I talked with never even heard of a Koehler burning up like that. (Probably sell used cars as a sideline😨)