• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 09:29 PM

I think I saw something on here a while back, and I know it is far from winter, but I am trying to be proactive for a change.  My 1050 with the TRA-10D doesn't care to start that well when it is really, really cold in WI.  Any suggestions on a way to warm it up a bit other than heating the entire garage or a torpedo heater?

#2 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,310 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Yep, living in Wisconsin as well I can tell ya the Polish Black Berry Brady doesn't work, but tastes good! J/k

Seriously now lol,  a little engine warming pad you can get at Fleet works good on the bottom of the oil pan, dipstick oil heater is good, and even a 60 watt light bulb under the engine works good. Of coarse it wont get cast iron hot in negative temps, but every little bit helps. Even taking a propane torch right to the side of the block works, but be sure no gas leaks are present,  and oil leaks are somewhat dangerous too. 

One other consideration is the viscosity of the oil, if you did know. Some oils turn into a hard sludge in cold temps cause they are a warmer blend, and yes, they will make the engine start hard primarily because the oil is thick, so the engine turns over slower from the pressure of the oil holding everything tight, but also chances are the battery is weaker too. Food for thought; ) Cheers

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 10:21 PM

Magnetic oil pan heater if you have enough room to get one on there is what I recommend.
  • boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 11:30 PM

Switch from SAE 30 to 10-w30 and richen the carb up a little for the winter months.Check your valve lash And use your Clutch when you go to turn it over.If the valve lash is to loose your ACR (Automatic Compression Release) will not work.It will crank over very slow even with a healthy battery with the ACR not working.

Manual here Page #21  intake .006  exhaust .012 

http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/

If your still having problems cranking it over than you might want to take your starter generator apart and check the bearings,brushes and commentator are in good condition.

Those cheap 230cca batteries are ok for a Lawn Mower but not a Garden Tractor.Especially a healthy Wisconsin engine on a shaft driven Bolens.When I need to buy a battery I Do not buy the cheap ones.I look for a battery with atleast 350-400CCA cold cranking amps.I usually end up getting a good Deka battery or a $50 Huskee battery from TSC.They both seem to last pretty long.I have a Deka 420ca 350cca battery in the shed that's 10 years old and it still works.

These are not to bad.They last atleast 2x longer than a $30 NeverStart battery.(The cheap EverStart batteries only last 2 or 3 years before they start to fail) My neighbor has this one in his Cub Cadet 169.It's 5 years old and it's still healthy.Starts his tractor in the winter no problem.It has a Very healthy low hour Kohler K341 16hp in it.

http://www.tractorsu...t?cm_vc=-10005 

Edited by EricFromPa, May 05, 2016 - 11:32 PM.

• Alc, jpackard56 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 04:31 AM

Since I try to use what I already have, I set a halogen work light to shine on the filter side of the engine for half an hour. But I don't have the extreme temps you guys deal with.

#6 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 06:27 AM

Since I try to use what I already have, I set a halogen work light to shine on the filter side of the engine for half an hour. But I don't have the extreme temps you guys deal with.

We use this on the smaller hp units, seems to be fine. On the 50hp and up we use a turbo heater for about 1/2 hr. set at engine height on a 55 gallon barrel. Always put clutch down on any standard shift unit, keeps from spinning all the tranny-gears, PTO, etc. with cold-thick oil as well.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 06:32 AM

What kind of cranking amps does your battery have, here in WNY it can be negative temperatures but my tractors will always start with a fresh battery .

I always push in the clutch petal when starting.

I also let the machine warm 10-15 minutes before I use it 

• EricFromPa and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 08:28 AM

I use the winter oil, a magnetic block heater, and an old blanket over the engine compartment. The blanket holds the heat in and warms the whole engine compartment up. Good Luck, Rick

• WrenchinOnIt and sodisr have said thanks

#9 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 10:08 AM

I too use a magnetic block heater.. On my tractor as well as my truck when temps get sub zero..  I cringe at that thought of the engine getting no oil for the first min. or so till it warms up enough to get moving and lubing around and doing it's job..

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 01:17 PM

I too use a magnetic block heater.. On my tractor as well as my truck when temps get sub zero..  I cringe at that thought of the engine getting no oil for the first min. or so till it warms up enough to get moving and lubing around and doing it's job..

One trick is to not step on the gas or give it choke. The starter works harder but oil gets pushed around at slow speed for the first few revolutions. When it does start there is oil on the parts. Good Luck, Rick

• sodisr said thank you

#11 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 08:58 PM

I park my snow removal stuff indoors when its stinking cold,,,dining room does not get used all that much anyways.  

How about a heated dipstick!

http://www.ebay.com/...VZVz6n6&vxp=mtr