28 replies to this topic

#1 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,159 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 07:42 PM

So I recently acquired a 1964 jd 110, have had it a little over a week. had to do some work to it including replacing some belts some work on the deck and a few other things and nothing about this tractor impresses me.  the deck it a huge hassle to get on and in place and you have to unhook one of the braces to get the belt on, the drive belt was unbelievably hard to get on, I had to drop the transaxle and remove the side pulley!!!!!! even the oil is a hassle to get out of the motor, the deck is in the way.

I am used to the allis B series tractor where everything is rite there, takes 10 min to change the deck out and put the tiller on.  I always assumed all other tractors were judged against john deere and I am pretty disappointed about this.  gonna mow with it a few times and see if I warm up to it, might be up for sale before the month is out.

I know, pics or it isn't yours but my camera suffered an accident a few weeks ago and me cell is out for repair so you are gonna have to wait for pics.

• hamman, jpackard56, Traill95 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 856 Thanks
  • 715 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 07:59 PM

I had a 110 before not a round fender though it was ok but it didn't do it for me. But to each own
  • jpackard56 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 BigFlash OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7324
  • 143 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:04 PM

The round fenders to me weren't really designed for quick attachment changes. My 140 on the other hand, is a breeze to swap attachments on.

The trick to changing the drive belts is to undo the 3 bolts that hold the drive pulley onto its hub. That allows you to change the drive belts with the trans in. If you really wanna get technical there is a procedure in the service manual for sliding the trans rearward in the frame to increase belt tension due to wear. If you didn't, a variator adjustment is advised when replacing belts.

As for the oil drain, My 64, You remove the grill and drain out the capped of pipe that is sticking out the oil pan. I usually use a small piece of flashing as a funnel to unsure oil keeps off the frame.

I don't use my mower deck, so i don't really have any advice to offer on that subject

• holdenboy1960, Leonard VanCamp and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,472 Thanks
  • 7,354 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:28 PM

My JD 210 is a nice running machine but if you are taller than 66" it is uncomfortable. I'm going to finish repairing it and sell it. See you on Saturday. Good Luck, Rick

#5 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,388 Thanks
  • 1,572 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:37 PM

I picked up an early 70's 110 with the electric lift. I pulled the engine to keep for a spare, and I took the electric lift actuator out of it since it works. I brought the rest of it to the neighbors scrap pile. Everything I kept from the tractor was a pain to get off, so that's why I decided to stay away from those tractors. I don't want to be annoyed when changing a drive belt or have to remove a bunch of junk to change the oil or replace a part. It's funny that this topic about the JD'S has been brought up, because it's the only garden tractor that I told myself I would never buy due to these reasons. They seem to be very well built, but I'm not going out of my way to get aggravated.
  • jpackard56 and HANKG have said thanks

#6 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,127 Thanks
  • 1,430 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:51 PM

I had a 110 and 112 at one time, both where square fenders and I was not impressed. They are just too complicated to work on. Even getting to the points was a hassle. I honestly don't understand what makes them and the round fenders so popular/ valuable. On the other hand I had a 140 and it was a great tractor, much easier to repair and the attachments where simple to swap.

• jpackard56, WrenchinOnIt and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#7 Jazz ONLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,346 Thanks
  • 885 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Don't know why the colour green is associated with envy.

• KennyP, TAHOE, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 11:31 PM

Good thing Troy didn't see that one eh .
  • KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#9 karl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38218
  • 923 Thanks
  • 698 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 05:33 AM

Little JD's Are money pits. And they ain't even built that well.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,667 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 06:53 AM

I've never owned a JD 110 but I had a couple here for a week or so
From what I could tell, they are solid little boogers, but I didn't have to do any major repairs on them.
Each company had their design flaws, Sears has that same issue with the belt on some models, especially the ones like my roper hydro.
I have owned a couple Simple units (still have my 112) and never warmed to the vari on them as over complicated and even harder to love than the MF vari and on mine, you have to pull the darned engine to work on the mag (the drive line could've been designed to turn the other way and the engine would've been in the right way)
KK's little commando has beenOK, but it's a love - hate relationship with the Kohler and the gov setup.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I'm not a JD guy, every brand seems to have some Monday Morning Engineering in them. But we each love our kids for their personalities and if they were all perfect and identical. the hobby would be boring and very Stepford Wives like
  • WrenchinOnIt, HANKG, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#11 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 718 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 07:23 AM

Let me tell you the New JD LT110's are complete garbage. Neat tractor when new, has foot pedal hydro all kinds of electronic safety crap that gets wet and stops working. Long PTO cables with cheap plastic fittings that won't last but a season or two and with in  a few years it will start looking worse then something built in the 70's. But the straw that broke the camels back was when they cheap rear end went out in the middle of snow clean up. I am not sure about the older ones but I guarantee I will never touch the newer ones. 

• propane1 said thank you

#12 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 08:11 AM

The only "green" tractors I like are the old Bolens

#13 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,388 Thanks
  • 1,572 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 09:17 AM

Yes, other tractors have their Monday morning engineering flaws, but those JD's must have been engineered on Mondays only. I've worked on many different brands, but that JD was the most annoying to work on by far.

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,304 Thanks
  • 8,671 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 01:19 PM

To each their own. I have not had a RF JD, so I can't talk about those. But I did have a 212, and it was the most bulletproof GT I've owned so far. Yep, there is tricks to the belt replacement and mounting attachments, just like most other brands. Maybe the earlier models weren't as simple.

But if this thread is just here to bash the green and yellow, I'll shut it now. Constructive criticism and comparisons between other brands? Fine. Bashing a brand because of one bad experience? Narrow-minded pettiness.
  • Bolens 1000, grnspot110, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#15 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,391 Thanks
  • 701 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 01:39 PM

Okay so maybe to be politically correct all should preface remarks with IMO, I own a 140 and a 216 , owned a 318 new, I agree with most the comments here, now just so I have this right no negativity towards a brand or picking on one even if you own it ? Really ? Maybe Troy is right.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you