• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Is, because when you have a flat, it's a pain in the you know what, and mess everywhere. Any good ideas how to get the washer fluid out, that remains in the tire and clean up. )&$&"&);)&@)

Noel
  • sherylky4 said thank you

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 01:56 PM

If it is a tubeless tire and you can break one of the beads you could try using a wet / dry shop vac and suck out fluid - get a piece of 3/8" copper or steel tubing or even a piece of 3/8" vacuum hose and adapt it to the end of the vacuum cleaner hose with some black or duct tape, take out the paper filter in the vacuum if so equipped, clean out the vacuum container and start sucking by working the hose or tubing in past the bead - once you get most of it out you should be able to stand the tire upright so all the fluid goes to the bottom.  You should also be able to reuse most of the fluid once you get the leak fixed - just a suggestion.

• propane1 and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 01:58 PM

Is, because when you have a flat, it's a pain in the you know what, and mess everywhere. Any good ideas how to get the washer fluid out, that remains in the tire and clean up. )&$&"&);)&@)

Noel

Only way I know of is to: release all pressure, turn the tire so puncture is at the top, ream it good with cement on the reamer, plug it and re-inflate.. 

• boyscout862, propane1 and Auburn David have said thanks

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 02:35 PM

I plug mine with the fluid in them..just let the air out.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 04:15 PM

Tube in this one. Sorry , I didn't mention that. Thanks for the vacuum idea. Would work on a tube too, I would think.

Noel.
  • Auburn David said thank you

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 04:25 PM

With a tube jerry rig something to fit in the vac hose and over the the tube valve stem with the core removed. As the tube collapses it should push 95% of the fluid out .

Mike

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,102 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 05:57 PM

If you do not have a vacuum cleaner you could make a vacuum container out of a plastic or glass jar ( I have used a left over peanut butter jar or a preserving jar would work as well) - put two holes in the lid (may have to make a lid out of sheet metal for the preserve jar) and hot glue (or solder if it has a steel lid) in two pieces of 3/8" tubing in the lid - keep one tube short inside the jar about 1/2" down from the lid.  Then run a piece of vacuum hose from the short line to a vacuum port in the intake manifold of an engine (your AMC should work for this) and hook a piece of vacuum hose to the other tube and suck the fluid with it - keep an eye on the jar and when the washer fluid is getting up near the top of container unhook the vacuum hose running to the engine so that it does not suck the fluid into the engine, empty the jar and start over till you have removed the fluid.  Still remember my dad had a 1/4 turn valve on the intake of the 48 Ford pickup we had back in the very early 60's for when the hydro would go out - there was no way he was milking 12 cows by hand so he would run a piece of 5/8" heater hose out to the truck from the milking machine vacuum line to power the two milking machines.

• jpackard56, toomanytoys84, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#8 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 06:09 PM

Great idea, thanks for the great story too.

Noel
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#9 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 06:14 PM

If you do not have a vacuum cleaner you could make a vacuum container out of a plastic or glass jar ( I have used a left over peanut butter jar or a preserving jar would work as well) - put two holes in the lid (may have to make a lid out of sheet metal for the preserve jar) and hot glue (or solder if it has a steel lid) in two pieces of 3/8" tubing in the lid - keep one tube short inside the jar about 1/2" down from the lid.  Then run a piece of vacuum hose from the short line to a vacuum port in the intake manifold of an engine (your AMC should work for this) and hook a piece of vacuum hose to the other tube and suck the fluid with it - keep an eye on the jar and when the washer fluid is getting up near the top of container unhook the vacuum hose running to the engine so that it does not suck the fluid into the engine, empty the jar and start over till you have removed the fluid.  Still remember my dad had a 1/4 turn valve on the intake of the 48 Ford pickup we had back in the very early 60's for when the hydro would go out - there was no way he was milking 12 cows by hand so he would run a piece of 5/8" heater hose out to the truck from the milking machine vacuum line to power the two milking machines.

If you have a old air compressor could hook the hose from the jar to the intake side of compressor and remove line to air tank from the compressor to let it exhaust

• DougT, propane1 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#10 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 09:20 PM

use a hose off a can of fix a flat on an icemaker adapter$_35.JPG450ml_Automatic_Tire_Sealer_Inflator.jpg

screwed on to a hosepipe can be used to siphon the water out(like we did with old water beds back in the day)same can be used to refill down here because we use strait water

Edited by Auburn David, May 05, 2016 - 09:20 PM.

• propane1 said thank you