• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 10:37 AM

My dad has an old bale chopper from eons ago... I want to repower it, to use it to chop and/or grind brush green grass wood shavings and straw.

Brush would be no bigger than 1".

Anyone think this would work?

I plan on making compost out of the chopped material.

I'll make a video of the whole thing...

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 11:10 AM

:camera: Please

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,516 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 11:45 AM

If it is the type that I have used, the knives won't take it. They used a knife blade similar to a haybine.

Can you get a pic of the knives? I think that would be the deciding factor.

#4 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 12:10 PM

If it is the type that I have used, the knives won't take it. They used a knife blade similar to a haybine.

Can you get a pic of the knives? I think that would be the deciding factor.

yes, they look exactly like haybine knives... probably the used knives from the haybine...

any ideas to replace knives with something more durable?

Edited by Greasy6020, May 05, 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,516 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 02:37 PM

The fixed blade on a spinning drum idea is similar to a chipper that a tree service would use. I think they use a round carbide tooth. Also a shredder with flail type knives, like a Mckissic, would work excellent for what you described. I hooked my son's up last year for fall cleanup. It did very good with branches leaves and grass.

Edited by shorty, May 05, 2016 - 06:31 PM.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 03:14 PM

I think more info is needed. B;ades? swinging hammers? What? How big is it?

I used to work building Farmhand Machinery. We built a Silage Blower, that would chop square baled. It had a conveyer to feed bales in. Now the flywheel was about 4 ft in diameter solid steel disc about 1 1/2 inch thick. bolted to that were paddles, with hammers on the end . And bolted to them was a disc with sicle blades that would shred the bales.  On the outside of the housing was a 1 inch pipe about a foot long to add water to the silage.  That pipe incidently was originally 2 inches long, till some fool stuck his finger in it to clear a plug and then sued the company? That machine took a minimum of 70 hp.

Incidently I tried to talk the chief engineer into scaling down a conventional hammer mill(we already built them) to sell as mulch grinders. He said there would not be enough market to even justify a market survey??  I wonder what he is building since the company went broke?

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 05, 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,516 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 06:37 PM

I think more info is needed. B;ades? swinging hammers? What? How big is it?
I used to work building Farmhand Machinery. We built a Silage Blower, that would chop square baled. It had a conveyer to feed bales in. Now the flywheel was about 4 ft in diameter solid steel disc about 1 1/2 inch thick. bolted to that were paddles, with hammers on the end . And bolted to them was a disc with sicle blades that would shred the bales. On the outside of the housing was a 1 inch pipe about a foot long to add water to the silage. That pipe incidently was originally 2 inches long, till some fool stuck his finger in it to clear a plug and then sued the company? That machine took a minimum of 70 hp.

Incidently I tried to talk the chief engineer into scaling down a conventional hammer mill(we already built them) to sell as mulch grinders. He said there would not be enough market to even justify a market survey?? I wonder what he is building since the company went broke?

Think of umpteen haybine blades bolted to a drum. Built for shredding straw for bedding.