29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 6,947 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 06:08 PM

R I G H T - I do like a challenge - just hope I am up to it.

• WrenchinOnIt and stiemmy have said thanks

#92 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,947 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 07:03 PM

Worked a bit more on the seat this afternoon - laid out a pleat pattern in chalk on the old cushions that I hope to be able to sew into the new cover.  I found another discrepancy as I was doing this - the outside lower pleats on the back cushion are a different width - the one on the left measures 3-1/2" and the one on the right measures 3" - wondered why when I was marking out the pleats the one on the right on the back did not line up with the one on the lower cushion.  Drilled the heads of the rivets and removed the cover - no evidence of any glue to hold the lower cover on to the pan - did find a bit of rust starting to form along the edge of the cover where it comes in contact with the pan.  Once I got the cover off it was easy to see the new padding glued on top of the original padding - not a bad idea but explains why the seat is too thick and hits the steering wheel.  Removed the new padding and found the original pleat pattern so I should be able to use it to verify the pattern I marked out  I wanted to remove the original padding and it appeared that the original padding and cover were molded together and then crimped under the outer lip so I started to unroll the lip with my homemade tool - the upper jaw was bending so I shortened and reshaped it a bit and it seemed to work better - 16 gauge metal is hard to bend.  Once I had the lip spread I started to lift the padding away from the metal pan with the help of a gasket scraper.  My suspicions appear to be confirmed - I did not like what I saw and it was getting cold in the shop as I had turned off the heat earlier (24 degrees F outside today)  so I stopped and will go back at it tomorrow after a good nights rest.  :(

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Seat Pattern I Hope To Go With.jpg
  • 2 Pleat Spacing At Right Lower Of Back.jpg
  • 3 Pleat Spacing At Left Lower Of Back.jpg
  • 4 Rivet Heads Drilled Out.jpg
  • 5 No Glue Holding On Cover.jpg
  • 6 Rust Trapped Under Cover.jpg
  • 7 New Padding Has Been Glued On Top Of Original.jpg
  • 8 New Padding Increased Height Of Seat By About One Inch.jpg
  • 9 Removing Added Padding.jpg
  • 10 Original Pleat Pattern Still On Padding.jpg
  • 11 Height Of Original Padding.jpg
  • 12 Starting To Uncrimp Lip.jpg
  • 13 Lip Getting Uncrimped.jpg
  • 14 SHortened Upper Jaw A Bit As It Was Bending.jpg
  • 15 Don't Look Good.jpg

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#93 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 636 Thanks
  • 398 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, I would have probably quit and went to bed too ... out of discouragement... lol
  • LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#94 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 14,562 Thanks
  • 8,316 posts

Posted March 02, 2017 - 08:06 PM

Yikes. Who knew so much could go wrong on a seat.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#95 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,947 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 02:27 PM

Went out this morning and removed the padding from the lower pan - lots of rust scale and the seat pan is very tender in some spots.  Not faulting whoever did the upholstery job as it is concealed rust - where the bolt holes are for the brackets is still holding but it is a problem that needs to be addressed and repaired now or else it will come back to haunt somebody in the near future - perhaps resulting in injury if the seat pan breaks apart in one of the rusted areas - the brackets that support the back seat cushion bolt to this pan. My other concern is that every time someone moves or sits on the seat pieces of rust will be falling off of the bottom of the seat which will create a mess on the fender pan and since the dipstick for the transaxle is underneath the seat rust chunks could fall into the dipstick tube if someone was checking the fluid level.  Judging by the condition of the seat the inside was just bare metal and the cushion was set on top at the factory and then the outside received paint - if you have a similar style seat and it shows any signs of rusting around the vent holes like this one did you may wish to have a really good look at it to make sure the metal is still in good condition and not ready to crack or break away at the mounting holes.

The weather is going to be cold for a few days and repairing the pan will be an outdoor job so probably won't do anything with it until next week - will have to see if my fabrication skills are up to the challenge. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Lots Of Rust.jpg
  • 2 Rust Scale.jpg
  • 3 Don't Look Too Bad From This Side.jpg
  • 4 Not So Good From This Side.jpg
  • 5 Close Up.jpg
  • 6 Close Up.jpg
  • 7 Close Up.jpg
  • 8 Close Up.jpg
  • 10 Close Up.jpg
  • 11 Close Up.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#96 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 03:51 PM

Ah crap , the metal termites strike again, looks like more rust than metal there :( looks like it will be a challenge for sure.
  • blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 29 Chev have said thanks

#97 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,947 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 06:02 PM

I decided to do a little bit more in the shop this afternoon so I removed the cover and padding from the seat back.  The cover on the back was glued to the seat back so the material was much more secure.  Someone had glued 1/4" padding on to the original which I peeled off to reveal the original pleat pattern so I should be able to replicate the pattern fairly accurately if I can repair the metal pan and back.  The rear metal had rust trapped as well and has a few pinholes but for the most part is more solid than the bottom pan.  The outer lip has some weak spots that will need attention.  I think I have come up with a plan to repair the lower metal pan - will see how it works out - stay tuned. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Back Of Seat Back.jpg
  • 2 Rivets Heads Drilled Out.jpg
  • 3 Quarter Inch Foam Glued Over Original Padding.jpg
  • 4 Quarter Inch Foam Removed.jpg
  • 5 Padding Removed.jpg
  • 6 Rust Scale On Padding.jpg
  • 7 Quick Wire Brushing.jpg
  • 8 Found A Hole.jpg
  • 9 Another Weak Area.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, TomLGT195 and 4 others have said thanks

#98 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,283 Thanks
  • 927 posts

Posted March 03, 2017 - 11:40 PM

How definite is it that the seat is original to the tractor? I have seen very similar new seats for sale at my local Blain's Farm & Fleet and at my local TSC.

• WrenchinOnIt and 29 Chev have said thanks

#99 pulltilbroke OFFLINE  

pulltilbroke

MMMMmmmm DIESEL

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50
  • 521 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 03:55 AM

Have the dash decals been done yet? Fwiw they aren't measured correctly. Noticed this when I did dad's decals.
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#100 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,947 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 08:54 AM

How definite is it that the seat is original to the tractor? I have seen very similar new seats for sale at my local Blain's Farm & Fleet and at my local TSC.

Found a date code stamped into the bottom of the seat pan which would put it about the correct time frame and pictures in post #12 of this thread suggest that it is the original seat - http://www.mytractor...ily-driver.html as the seat on it looks to be the same style and pattern.  A new seat has been discussed as one of the options if the metal pieces can not be repaired. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 10 Date Code In Bottom Of Seat.jpg
  • 11 Date Code Location.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#101 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,829 Thanks
  • 4,735 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 11:02 AM

That is the 18098 Deluxe Seat that was available for the HT series tractors.

In Nov 1979 it had a list price of $125.00.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 04, 2017 - 11:08 AM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 4 others have said thanks

#102 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Doug , the XE 100 on their website looks like a dead ringer , worth further investigation

http://www.milsco.co...alHandling.html. (Thanks Stew)

Have the dash decals been done yet? Fwiw they aren't measured correctly. Noticed this when I did dad's decals.

Thank you, I have the click it & stick it® set and I'm not surprised if the first 'restorer' sent them the measurements :( It took several contact tries before Nate (@ click it®) responded and he's not interested in correcting the colors on the hood stripes, probably same with dash dimensions . Overall I've generally been happy with these guys but not with this set, therefore the set is off to be custom made correctly.
  • MH81, blackjackjakexxix, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#103 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted March 04, 2017 - 04:20 PM

Thank you, I have the click it & stick it® set and I'm not surprised if the first 'restorer' sent them the measurements :( It took several contact tries before Nate (@ click it®) responded and he's not interested in correcting the colors on the hood stripes, probably same with dash dimensions . Overall I've generally been happy with these guys but not with this set, therefore the set is off to be custom made correctly.

I have experienced the same with them, most of the time I try and point out any errors I see in the decals but unfortunately it only takes one guy with the wrong measurements to start a snowball effect :wallbanging:

Most of the decals I have custom made by them so I know they will be right, Nate has alot of orders to fill so sometimes there can be a delay in responses and manufacturing time but cant beat their 3M material they use on these.

unfortunately I see someone already muddied up the waters on the Ride-a-Matic decals so some of the sets are not 100% correct.

• WrenchinOnIt, stiemmy and 29 Chev have said thanks

#104 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,947 Thanks
  • 2,234 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 07:21 PM

Got some 16 gauge steel and using a paper pattern of the old pan marked out and cut out a new piece that I am hoping will become the new lower seat pan.  Once I had the metal cut I trimmed the outer edge of the paper pattern and marked out where I wanted the lip to be bent up on an angle to match the original pan - I am hoping I can cut the outer lip off of the old pan and weld it on to the new piece I am going to make.  Got the two sides bent up in the metal brake and then I bent the rest of the lip and the corners up. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Paper Pattern.jpg
  • 2 16 Gauge Steel Cut Out.jpg
  • 3 Marking Out Where To Bend Outside Edge.jpg
  • 4 Two Sides Bent In Brake.jpg
  • 5 Outer Edges Bent Up.jpg
  • 6 Outer Edges Bent Up.jpg
  • 7 Still Reasonably Flat.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, HDWildBill, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#105 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,452 Thanks
  • 1,796 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 08:48 PM

You are making me jealous cause I dont have my own shop!!!!

Seriously, great fab skills, it's looking fantastic;)
  • Bolens 1000, WrenchinOnIt and 29 Chev have said thanks