#152 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the kind words.  This seat looks better than the furniture in my house as well and I drool as well looking at it knowing that I will not be able to keep it or own the tractor that it belongs to.  :(  But at least I have had the joy of having the seat in my possession for a few weeks and hopefully it will be returned to a happy owner.

I tackled the two arm rests today - got the covers that had been stapled on removed - looked like there was black paint on them in spots??  Originally the arm rests appear to have been moulded - almost like a plastic / rubber material. I gave them a good washing with glass cleaner and then I marked them left and right with two pieces of masking tape as when I installed the new covers I covered up the L and R that were moulded into them on the bottom.  I glued a piece of 1/2" foam to the top of each one to make them a little softer, sewed up two new covers and glued them on at the bottom.  My out of place stitching bugged me so I broke the bond where the cover was glued to the padding, removed the outer boxing and reversed it and then I sewed it back on - it now suits me.  I glued the cover back to the padding and then I glued the padding to the seat back.  Once that was done I installed a 1/8" rope welt into the groove around the outside to trap the material and slowly squeezed the outer lip closed making sure the rope remained trapped down in the groove to hold the material - originally it appeared that just the material was trapped in the groove.  Once that was done I trimmed the excess material with a razor blade and took some pictures of the back - sorry there are so many pictures but it just seemed to attract the camera to it .  Putting the material back in the groove definitely takes more time than the way the last cover was installed but it makes the seat look very close to original in my opinion and there are no rivet heads showing in the finished product.      

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Left Arm Rest.jpg
  • 2 Left Arm Rest.jpg
  • 3 Right Arm Rest.jpg
  • 4 Right Arm Rest.jpg
  • 5 Paint On Cover Maybe.jpg
  • 6 Ready To Add Half Inch Foam.jpg
  • 7 Foam Trimmed.jpg
  • 8 Glue Applied To Back.jpg
  • 9 Glue Applied To Back Padding.jpg
  • 10 Padding Stuck To Back.jpg
  • 11 New Covers On Arm Rests.jpg
  • 12 New Covers On Arm Rests.jpg
  • 13 New Covers On Arm Rests.jpg
  • 14 Outer Ege Crimped Around New Cover.jpg
  • 15 Outer Ege Crimped Around New Cover.jpg
  • 16 Outer Ege Crimped Around New Cover.jpg
  • 17 Outer Ege Crimped Around New Cover.jpg
  • 18 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 19 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 20 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 21 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 22 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 23 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 24 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 25 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 26 Back Cover Trimmed.jpg
  • 1 Rear Cushion Sitting Upright.jpg
  • 2 Rear Cushion Sitting Upright.jpg
  • 3 Rear Cushion Sitting Upright.jpg
  • 4 Rear Cushion Sitting Upright.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, HDWildBill, WrenchinOnIt and 4 others have said thanks

#153 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,475 Thanks
  • 941 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 03:50 PM

Stew, not sure what more can be said, my sincerest thanks, appreciation of a job so very well done, admiration and acknowledgement of your considerable and many talents.

Now ... I have a LK seat cover and a 900 pan that need your attention... You know ... May keep you out of trouble, fend off boredom, wandering of streets... (hehe)
Thanks again Stew. Your talented and I'm a fan (big fan)

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, March 27, 2017 - 03:54 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#154 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 06:24 PM

Thank you and the other members for the very kind words Kevin - the encouragement and support from everyone made this challenge more like fun than work. 

I did some more shop time and got the lower padding glued to the seat pan and the cover and rope welt tucked into the groove and the lip squeezed closed.  Once that was done I trimmed the excess material with a razor blade and took some pictures with the back of the seat above the lower cushion so you can visualize how it will look when it installed on the tractor.  I have also included a picture of how the seat looked originally for comparison - I think the new cover is very similar but I will let you be the judge.   

Thank you again for entrusting the seat to me and letting me play a very small role in bringing this tractor back to the beauty it will be when you are done with it.  I cannot wait to see it back on the tractor and what the tractor looks like after you get done working your magic to the rest of it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Glue Applied To Pan.jpg
  • 2 Glue Applied To Padding.jpg
  • 3 Rope For Welt.jpg
  • 4 My Third Hand.jpg
  • 5 Tool To Squeeze Edge Closed.jpg
  • 6 Edge Closed.jpg
  • 7 Edge Closed.jpg
  • 8 Edge Closed.jpg
  • 9 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 10 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 11 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 12 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 13 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 14 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 15 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 16 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 17 Material Trimmed.jpg
  • 18 Bottom And Back.jpg
  • 19 Bottom And Back.jpg
  • 20 Bottom And Back.jpg
  • 21 Picture Of Original Seat On Tractor.jpg

• olcowhand, blackjackjakexxix, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#155 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,006 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted March 27, 2017 - 07:42 PM

You wanna recover my couch?

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#156 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 07:40 AM

You wanna recover my couch?

No thanks but you can give it a try yourself with some tips from here - http://gardentractor...a-lawn-tractor/ .

• blackjackjakexxix and KennyP have said thanks

#157 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 09:45 AM

Very nice Job Stew!  I got a good education from following the process of rebuilding the seat.  This tractor will be a show winner when it is done for sure. 

• 29 Chev said thank you

#158 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,475 Thanks
  • 941 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 05:10 PM

Have the dash decals been done yet? Fwiw they aren't measured correctly. Noticed this when I did dad's decals.

Ahhh the ah ha moment, now I see what you say, I thought the dash meaning, key switch, tach, light switch etc. area. It's the cowl area " hydraulic control" decal and the "speed control" decal
(see pics.) :(

My previous comment:
Thank you, I have the click it & stick it® set and I'm not surprised if the first 'restorer' sent them the measurements :( It took several contact tries before Nate (@ click it®) responded and he's not interested in correcting the colors on the hood stripes, probably same with dash dimensions . Overall I've generally been happy with these guys but not with this set...

Well after my disappointment with the decals, figuring more than likely not a large demand for this set and what I felt was the basic door slam in the face on the color of the stripes for the hood, thinking probably a done deal with adjustments I figured I send a "not complaining...but" comment.
Nate at click it and stick it responded in the speed of light " what's wrong"? "Can you email me pics and measurements"? In very short order and a few email exchanges the dimensions have been corrected and my new set will be to me shortly. Nate was never contacted about fitment originally by "the other guy" nor did "the other guy" send the uninstalled decals back with Dave... so the height ,width , orientation, taper on the left side of the " speed control" decal (as was needed to be trimmed losing the white piping) all have been corrected, Nate explained the hood colors as what he stocks for Bolens, to have the mfg change colors is a cost prohibitive endeavor based on purchase volume, I understand. Nate certainly could not of been more helpful and responsive on the size problems.
My Daughter has been painting the exposed fasteners green that needed it and lettered the wheel weights for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170327_1330021_rewind_kindlephoto-1434730.jpg
  • IMG_20170327_1329496_rewind_kindlephoto-1476103.jpg
  • IMG_20170327_131717_kindlephoto-1893662.jpg
  • IMG_20170327_1314072_rewind_kindlephoto-1691242.jpg
  • IMG_20170327_1843496_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170327_1842593_rewind.jpg

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#159 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,165 Thanks
  • 9,632 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 06:28 PM

If you need some tools, just ask. I'm nervous, you're talking about trimming the speed control decal and there is a chainsaw in the pic.
  • MH81, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#160 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,006 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 06:37 PM

If you need some tools, just ask. I'm nervous, you're talking about trimming the speed control decal and there is a chainsaw in the pic.

You don't trim decals with a chainsaw? Are you a barbarian?

• blackjackjakexxix and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#161 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,682 Thanks
  • 4,848 posts

Posted March 28, 2017 - 06:55 PM

You don't trim decals with a chainsaw? Are you a barbarian?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that questioned Cat's comment. If you didn't use the saw, what would you use??

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#162 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,312 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 29, 2017 - 10:49 AM

Absolutely an excellent, prodigiously, resplendent job to date, okay it's saying prodigiously isn't a word, damn now what.

Okay enough of that, hey Stew you're the man, you're a talented dude and I'm definitely a fan, Looks great.

"Bigly" is in vogue right now, for some reason.

• MH81, WrenchinOnIt and 29 Chev have said thanks

#163 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,475 Thanks
  • 941 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 07:51 PM

All the looking hasn't done anything for the hood repair, :( ... So I got started, I'm hoping it's been the decent weather that sparked the git-to-it, open the overhead door run some pieces out , get some room and get after it. As previously stated my best of buds Rick Show donated some decent LF hoods for the cause if needed. I decided to see if I could save the original first.
One needed to become two (as Dave suggested) in order to get the bowed part of the hood to give, I agreed , so I Swiss cheesed the hood drilling out the spot welds, even with the proper cutter I had to go all the way thru to break the welds, spot welder back in the day nailed the heat setting and had most proper penetration. Post #31 Dave's pics show the sides of the hood bowed out, they also show the gap between the hood and dash due to the crown flattened out of the hood, How do you call yourself a professional restorer and send this out as a finished product ? Seriously! :( that too will be attempted to be repaired back to correctness.
Once in two pieces I decided to see if I started to apply blows to the rollover from the top to the sides, striking the inside with a ball peen maybe it would pull the bow in the side's back to straight, it's working ,pic four, five and six shows the bow has left the left side, I finished that side up with the shrinking hammer and dolly, I'm pleased with the result. The right side will be more difficult the notch for air cleaner has one hell of a dog leg in it after I put the hammer to the that side's rollover (pic six and seven )... time will tell .The last guy slathered 1/4" of plastic all over the thing, it's flying off in chunks, lots and lots and lots of bondo about 1/4" in some spots... :(
HACK !!!
I started after the holes with the mig the front piece is the finished side so I want it right or as close as the glue gun operator can get it.
Most of this style hood LF or TF shows the tell-tale of the two piece hood, the seam rusts and there is no way to get it gone unless you two piece apart the hood, sucks seeing the rust bleed up thru fresh paint, that's the other reason I talked to this one this way. Pics :

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170411_1934012_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1932197_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1930081_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1930275_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1930081_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1929405_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1930504_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1928163_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1927508_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1921278_rewind_kindlephoto-26523096.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1927390_rewind.jpg
  • IMG_20170411_1933282_rewind.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, April 12, 2017 - 07:03 AM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 6 others have said thanks

#164 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,781 Thanks
  • 2,028 posts

Posted April 11, 2017 - 08:26 PM

I would say you have your work cut out for you on this one,good luck,keep posting pics
  • LPBolens, WrenchinOnIt and 29 Chev have said thanks

#165 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,107 Thanks
  • 2,323 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 07:33 AM

Looks like you have quite a challenge to fix that hood - makes the fun I had fixing the seat pans look easy. 

But to quote your words " I know you like a challenge ... right?"

Keep up the great work.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks