• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 51 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 03:39 AM

Now that warmer weather is here, I am in the process of cleaning and repairing the square-back snowcaster that came with my tubeframe so I can hopefully get some good utility out of it this coming winter.The auger had numerous dents and bends to straighten plus a good amount of surface rust throughout. I pulled the auger out and have straightened it significantly, but in order to clean up the rust I need to remove the sprocket. There's a snap ring which I removed and I've tried pulling the sprocket off with a 3 jaw puller, but it doesn't budge. I've sprayed it with penetrating oil, but as of yet no luck. Have any of you removed the sprocket and have any advice to give?

Here's the sprcket I'm trying to remove.

snowcaster_sprocket.jpg

Here's a shot of the auger before

snowcaster_auger_bent.jpg

and after straightening. It took me about 45 minutes to wrench and bang it back mostly true.

snowcaster_auger_fix.jpg

Edited by dtsh, May 05, 2016 - 03:42 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 05:55 AM

Nice straightening job. Did you download the parts manual and check for any other retainers? If there isn't any. try the PB Blaster for a week. Spray it each day. If that doesn't work, a little heat may be necessary. Good Luck, Rick

#3 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • 51 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 10:57 AM

I checked the parts manual and I hadn't seen any other retaining clips or the like, so I figured I'd ask here before I started beating, heating, and cussing to get it off by force.

#4 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,140 Thanks
  • 1,207 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 01:43 PM

Does it show in the parts manual if there is a key / keyway in the shaft and gear?

#5 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • 51 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 01:51 PM

Does it show in the parts manual if there is a key / keyway in the shaft and gear?

Not that I could see, but there does appear to be a keyway on the sprocket, so I presume there's a key in there; given, presumption is the mother of all screwups.

#6 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,140 Thanks
  • 1,207 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 02:09 PM

I would think that if is held on with a snap ring and there is a keyway it is just rusted in place in a happy marriage to the shaft.  Sometimes two partners that have been together for a long time can take some heat and a bit of force to let go - if you are finding the three jaw puller is starting to bend the gear or the jaws are slipping off you could switch to a steering wheel / harmonic balancer style puller and drill two or three properly spaced holes in the gear that line up with your puller fairly close to the centre and tap them for 3/8" bolts or if you have enough room you may be able to slip a nut in the backside with a pair of needle nose pliers - that way you are pulling closer to the centre of the gear hub.  Also if you can put constant pressure with a puller on the gear you could try using an air chisel with a blunt driver or punch on the hub and letting it rap gently - sometimes the vibrations of the air chisel will start things to let go - work safe and good luck

#7 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • 51 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. While not a full restoration, it will hopefully perform better.

snowcaster_cleaned_up.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#8 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted May 13, 2016 - 11:53 AM

Nice job, you should be good to go next winter