Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Duetz-Allis 914H >insight about freewheeling latch.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zeth OFFLINE  

zeth
  • Member No: 82178
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Trying to apply some TLC to what looks like a neglected and abused tractor.Had to rebuild the mower deck and have started on the tractor it self.While replacing the filter and fluids the owners manual advised to push the "free wheeling latch"down to disengage the hydro static pump.I see the two valves that the latch comes in contact with but it looks like they are already depressed.It doesn't look right to me as it is,Shouldn't these valves pop up once the latch is raised,or does that only happen once the pump is running?Is there a specific height these valves should rise?I have also dwnloaded a shop manual but its not mentioned in the book.I have thought of pulling these valves and cleaning them but would like NOT to unless advised otherwise.Now that new fluid and filter has been done,do I need to "purge"the system?Tractor does move forward and backward and just trying to get her back up to snuff.Any insight is greatly appreciated,thanks.

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 08:25 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!

The bypass valves "should" pop up again. On my one tractor I have to pull them up by hand. I was guessing that dirt is holding it back which a good cleaning would take care of.
  • rustyoldjunk, Gillis.jim and zeth have said thanks

#3 Gillis.jim ONLINE  

Gillis.jim
  • Member No: 79834
  • 217 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 08:31 PM

Maybe hit them with a couple shots of penetrating oil. Should help to free things up.
  • rustyoldjunk and zeth have said thanks

#4 zeth OFFLINE  

zeth
  • Member No: 82178
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Thanks guys.Had thought about both of those suggestions before going any further.Can y-all tell me "about" how far up they should protrude?

Have worked on old bikes most of my adult life but this tractor is virgin turf for me.When I drained the fluid it was really nasty looking so I have a feeling the valves are gummed up.Thanks again for such a speedy reply!

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 12:15 AM

I have had to pull and clean the valves before and other times once I started and ran the tractor they popped up on their own. Either way they need to come up. They don't come up much. Under an inch.

• zeth said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 05:44 AM

Welcome to GTT. I have the bar that pushes down both valves at the same time on my Simplicity. Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten the engine running. Good Luck, Rick
  • zeth said thank you

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 09:26 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

• zeth said thank you