2 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 10:36 AM

I'm in the process of swapping the transaxle on my S14G.  I'm servicing everything in the back of the tractor while the tranny is out.  I got my new hydraulic hoses made up this morning.  Picking up a new hydraulic pump belt today.  Drive belts were fine.  I'm replacing the fuel line/filter while I'm at it.

My question is...has anyone serviced the right angle gearbox on one of these?  It's basically the same setup as the mower deck, but mounted on it's side (90° of the mower deck arrangement), has a shaft/stub out of the back for the rear PTO, and it's stamped "LH" on the cover.  I'm assuming the "LH" means it's left-hand rotation.  I didn't see anything in the manual for servicing the drive gearbox.  Is it safe to assume it takes the same #2 grease the mower deck gearbox takes?

• bradov3 said thank you

#2 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 10:45 AM

I have never tore one apart, but I know that if you need parts there is a bunch on eBay right now...guy parted whole s-14g out instead of trying to sell to somebody who wants to own one(like me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Billy M said thank you

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 02:30 PM

I have never tore one apart, but I know that if you need parts there is a bunch on eBay right now...guy parted whole s-14g out instead of trying to sell to somebody who wants to own one(like me)

Yeah, I saw that.  The only thing I needed was the transaxle, and I got that.  The EBay guy was selling the gears out of the tranny, but I really didn't want to tear down the tranny unless I had to.  I found a replacement to swap into it.  If I get bored someday, I may tear it down and fix the original one that was in it.  It appeared that the tranny had been worked on previously.  There is sealant around the seam of the case, and it had new bolts in one of the axle housings.