• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Southerner OFFLINE  

Southerner
  • Member No: 82721
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 12:57 AM

I have a Craftsman YT4500 ( model 917.288900) tractor that I bought new 3 years ago.  It has 50 hours on it now.  Last week it stopped moving.  I found the drive belt had come off of the transaxle so I put it back on.  It immediately came off.  It looks like there is a plate that hangs down from the frame below the seat.  The sway bar for the deck goes through it from the front.  It has 2 tabs bent at 90 degrees toward the back.  I think there are 2 bolts that go through these 2 tabs into the top front of the transaxle to hold the transaxle level with the tractor.  I have tried to find out what those bolts are but none of the drawings on the Searspartsdirect site even shows the plate or the bolts and I called Sears and they could not find it either.  I called repairclinic and they could not find it.  I need to know what these 2 bolts are that hold up the front of the transaxle.  2 bolts come up from the bottom and hold the 2 halves of the transaxle housing together.  I hope the top is bigger and threaded for these 2 mounting bolts but I can't find any parts drawings or information to help me.  Would anyone have any information about how that transaxle is mounted.  Newer ones have a flange cast in the front of the transaxle and one bolt goes through this plate horizantally but mine is vertical.  I hope the 2 bolts that hold the transaxle halves together did not go all the way through but broke off.  Help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Gabriel, jordangf18, ralphcu2 and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:08 AM

The unit you are describing is much newer than anything I have to look at.
I wish I could help, but I have nothing to reference.

:welcome: and I hope one of our members has a unit like yours.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:59 AM

No help here. Too new for me. :welcometogttalk: :camera:

• Gabriel said thank you

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 09:41 AM

Welcome to the forum! Here is a diagram of the drive system on your lawn tractor. Are the brackets within the red circle the ones in question? Are the bolts within the yellow circles the ones in question? 

Attached Thumbnails

• Diagram2.png

• MH81 said thank you

#5 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 09:56 AM

The diagram shown above is from searspartsdirect.com. Here is a link to the diagram: http://www.searspart...2018/00003.html

#6 Southerner OFFLINE  

Southerner
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Are the brackets within the red circle the ones in question? Are the bolts within the yellow circles the ones in question? 

Maybe.  Although my plate does not have the 226 bolt on piece as it looks like it is just bent from the bottom of the 225 plate.  The #80 bolts look like the self tapping type.  The holes they came out of have no markings from having had bolts in them.  That is what made me think the hole is tapped closer to the bottom of the hole in the top half of the housing.  The parts page lists those as 5/16-18 unc x 1-1/4" so will pick up some of those at the hardware store and see if they screw into the hole.  I hope the hole did not strip.

The newer models have a piece cast in the front of the transaxle a regular bolt goes through and a nut on the other side to hold it and the bracket to the transaxle.  Wish this one was that way!

Thank you.

Edited by Southerner, May 04, 2016 - 11:07 AM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#7 Southerner OFFLINE  

Southerner
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 11:10 AM

The diagram shown above is from searspartsdirect.com. Here is a link to the diagram: http://www.searspart...2018/00003.html

I had found the drawing on the searspartsdirect site but had not seen that plate.  I thought that mine did not have the 226 piece but had tabs bent at 90 degrees in the bottom of the 225 plate and the bolts went through it.  It could have been a bolt on piece as it was a bit hard to see everything.

I wonder if I need to use lock washers and/or loctite to help keep those bolts from working out again?

Thank you.

• Gabriel said thank you

#8 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 09:36 AM

Maybe.  Although my plate does not have the 226 bolt on piece as it looks like it is just bent from the bottom of the 225 plate.  The #80 bolts look like the self tapping type. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are mixed up about some of the numbers on the diagram. #80 is the torque bracket that #226 torque bracket bolts to. #226 is bolted to #80 with #125 bolts. I think #125 bolts are the self tapping type. #225 is a belt keeper.

#9 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 09:42 AM

I wonder if I need to use lock washers and/or loctite to help keep those bolts from working out again?

Loctite would be fine. If the bolts thread into an aluminum part, be sure not to over tighten.

#10 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 05, 2016 - 09:44 AM

Thank you.

Your welcome!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transaxle