Thanks! Yep, I'll visit their store tomorrow.
JD 165 Hydro "Little John"
Posted August 14, 2016 - 09:00 PM
Posted August 15, 2016 - 08:27 PM
75* here this evening, Brutal day at work, so all I did tonight was install the Deck lift spring, and enjoyed the cool weather. I need to re-locate the frame so to install the front spindles. If I put them on where it is I'll be killing my shins. Planning a visit to the local JD Dealer after payday.
Posted August 19, 2016 - 08:36 AM
Under a work delay, putting in uber hours at work, and usually dark and raining when I leave for work and the same when I get home. Hope to finish the work project next week so I can get back to Little John.
- KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks
Posted August 20, 2016 - 01:28 PM
Worked up a little sweat this morning. Rims look good, no slime or rust. They should paint up fine. Rear tires are good, but will be replaced with 4-ply. The old ones will be sold.
Quick question, Can I knock the front rim bearings out by using a chisel from the inside. Will make clean-up and painting easier.
Posted August 22, 2016 - 08:45 PM
Tractor funds went for 'Back to School" Items this Month. I hope finish the rims this week, and Still visit the Dealer, if just to get an availability and cost on the parts.
- UncleWillie said thank you
Posted August 24, 2016 - 09:10 PM
I went to the local John Dealer in Waco today for parts availability and quotes. http://www.centralte...com/default.htm
I have to say it was like going to a Green Tractor show. Looks like what I need is still available. I will be going back there tomorrow to order the pulleys, belt, and Hydro seal tomorrow. I'll take my camera, and post some Green pictures.
Posted August 25, 2016 - 07:30 PM
Picked up some parts at the Dealer, need to go back tomorrow for the belt. I hope to have the Transaxle and drive belt installed this weekend.
- EricR said thank you
Posted August 28, 2016 - 08:57 AM
Almost finished installing the parts purchased. Waiting on the paint to dry and I can set the valve stems. Drive pulleys and springs are installed. Next up will be the Hydro. Once I have the tires funded, I should be able to have this thing rolling.
- backwoods said thank you
Posted August 28, 2016 - 10:01 AM
Almost had an oh-no moment. While installing the steering wheel it was off set by 90*. Started looking at how to line up the gears (take things apart again). I pulled the lower carter pin on the small steering gear, but the gear wouldn't budge. While getting up off the floor I grabbed the steering wheel and it pushed down, and the gear fell off. "I know what the spring on the shaft is for now" I counted the gears on the sector and came up with 24, so I marked the center. While installing the small gear (Push down on the centered steering wheel) I noticed the "Timing marks". I think I have everything lined up correctly now.
Posted August 28, 2016 - 10:46 AM
Tying all the Ground points together, I gave up many restores ago just relying on the frame and star washers to provide a reliable ground.
You are right about star washers being a good ground. They are horrible. I like to weld a stud/bolt somewhere and run all the grounds to it. Mask the threads when painting and add some dielectric spray or grease to the connection when done. Then no more ground problems.
- larrybl said thank you
Posted August 28, 2016 - 04:50 PM
Started evaluating the Hydro. First thing is to build a better stand so I can drain the 90W. Brake pads are the same as Craftsman, both are Peerless types, Left ones are off the Deer, I think they still have a lot of use still. Need to pull the drive pulley, and mask things off.
- Alc said thank you
Posted August 29, 2016 - 09:15 PM
Hydro Restore Time, I masked and painted the black parts. This will need to dry a couple days before I can mask over the black and paint the silver. I took out the cover bolts (one at a time) and replaced with Allen screws temporary for painting. The original bolts will be cleaned up and painted to be re-installed later. I think I found the seepage, not at the gasket, but the three bottom bolts were wet. I'll add permatex to the threads when I re-install them.
- Alc said thank you
Posted August 30, 2016 - 09:56 AM
Coming right along
- larrybl said thank you
Posted August 30, 2016 - 08:35 PM
Hydro work continues. Drained the 90W, Good news, there was some in there. Also cleaning the small parts and painting them. Still waiting on the Black to dry good before masking it off. Decided to change the 90W in the transaxle, but still on the fence with the Hydro oil. I am thinking of just topping it off with the Rotella T-1 30W and call it good.
- KennyP said thank you