Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere LT 155 Needs to be jump started, then dies when brake is released and PTO lever engaged.

john deere lt 155 dies brake pto battery good

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PlumberDave65 OFFLINE  

PlumberDave65
  • Member No: 82708
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 05:00 PM

I have a problem with a John Deere LT 155 Lawn Tractor. The battery is new and charged, yet I have to jump start it with another lawn tractor. Once started, if I release the brake or engage the PTO, the engine dies. I already tried by-passing the seat switch and no change. While I tinker with small engines from time to time electrical systems is one of my weaker subjects. Would appreciate a little help on where else to look. I figure that the switches for the PTO and brake are good since they make the engine cut out when I try to release the brake or engage the PTO. Thank You in advance.

PlumberDave65

#2 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 05:27 PM

:welcometogttalk:

Although I am not familiar with this model, I suspect it is a safety switch/interlock problem.

Locate a manual for you machine (with wiring diagram) and go from there.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 05:37 PM

New safety switches can't be bypassed as easy as in past. They need to get info from ALL the switches and usually go to an electronic box now days that decides if everything meets requirements to start or run. I would be looking at a broken wire or worn thru from rubbing on something and shorting. I WOULD NOT remove any of these items!  Not for Safety so much as just so you won't make it Impossible to fix right and get going again. Most orig manuals have trouble shooting sections in them to help diagnose.

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:39 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 08:04 AM

Has a dead short somewhere

#6 PlumberDave65 OFFLINE  

PlumberDave65
  • Member No: 82708
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 09, 2016 - 07:48 PM

First, I would like to thank all of you for your replies! I started going through the switches, (PTO, Brake) found them all to be good after checking continuity on a multimeter. I then looked at the starter relay/solenoid and decided to check that. At first, I didn't get anything after performing a little test I learned on an YouTube video. I checked the voltage of the battery I was using and found it to be almost dead! Bear in mind this is the NEW battery I spoke of in my first post. Well, luckily I have a Bolens lawn tractor to work with too and I knew the battery in that was good. So I pulled it out of the Bolens and did my little test with that battery. Sure enough, the solenoid "clicked" and showed continuity. I assembled everything back together and decided to try and start it using the battery from the Bolens. Sure enough, it started without the assistance of a jump. Released the brake, it stayed running. engaged the PTO lever, it stayed running. So it wasn't a safety switch or relay after all. Moral of the story, "Start ALL electrical diagnostics at THE BATTERY". Also, never buy the cheapest battery. Spend a little money as you will save it later not buying aspirin to cure all your headaches. Once again, Thank You all for your input!

PlumberDave65

• STEELRAIN13F said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john deere, lt 155, dies brake pto, battery good