• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 08:39 PM

I was mowing out back this afternoon when I heard a heck of a roar from the airport, no mistaking radial engines. I stopped the ZTR and looked toward the airport, coming over the trees, in wingman formation were an F4 U Corsair, and the first P 47 Thunderbolt I've seen since the 60's! They rumbled off to the south and disappeared, I just sat there in awe, wow! I get to see modern military aircraft a lot, they use this airport for training, and a few times a year, a B-25 or two, and some WWII trainers come through, but these two warbirds were a special treat.
  • coldone, Alc, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 08:49 PM

When we lived in West Chester, Oh not far from Wright Patterson Air Base we use to see these old war planes. Always exciting & good to feel that warm proud to be an American feeling.
  • Alc, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 08:58 PM

That would be amazing to see

We get some real low flying military cargo planes flying over frequently in the summer. I don't know my planes but big prop planes.

They fly low enough to make the ground rumble. The boy goes nuts

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • jpackard56, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 09:26 PM

When you see most of the vintage aircraft in groups they are ussually part of the confederate airforce. Please present them your middle finger or some other obscene gesture that pleases you! While in the Navy we serviced many of their aircraft, B25s B17s anything you could name and we did it at no charge but for the good will we thought we would recieve. On a B17 we had to replace an entire strut assembly, a huge job and a part that I had to locate in a bunker fifty miles away tucked in a corner in a crate with a ship to Okinawa 1947 stamp on it. This part in todays market would fetch over twenty grand and our labor would have run more than that, but being the wonderful sailors we were we said a ride on his beautifully restored bomber would be payment enough. We boarded and as he started to do his preflight he tells us that we would have to buy a t shirt so he could keep it legit we say ok how much, he replies one hundred and seventy five a piece! He says it will cover the fuel, but he didnt count on us knowing we had given him the fuel and oil at no charge also. The air ops officer happend to be on board with us and promptlyhad us disembark the plane, he then called the base commander who told the gentleman that he and his organization had fifteen minutes to get their planes off our runway and out of the southwest region or they would be shot down! He also informed them that they will never be allowed to operate in our region of the United States airspace. In all just a bunch of worthless people flying great aircraft. sorry for the long story.
  • jpackard56, boyscout862, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 09:47 PM

I was mowing out back this afternoon when I heard a heck of a roar from the airport, no mistaking radial engines. I stopped the ZTR and looked toward the airport, coming over the trees, in wingman formation were an F4 U Corsair, and the first P 47 Thunderbolt I've seen since the 60's! They rumbled off to the south and disappeared, I just sat there in awe, wow! I get to see modern military aircraft a lot, they use this airport for training, and a few times a year, a B-25 or two, and some WWII trainers come through, but these two warbirds were a special treat.

When I go fishing in Hatteras we bring the boat in Rudy inlet and stay over night where the Oceanic air base is located near by. The F16s and other go fasts are very entertaining, But not as exciting as seeing an F4U going over head

• boyscout862, Chopperhed, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 10:02 PM

Rudy inlet has a great view of Oceana flight operations. We use to go to the parking lot where the fighter jet is on public display, late at night. You can see in the hangers from there, and watch the engines being run tested, a great show in the dark. Of course that was 45 years ago.
  • boyscout862, HANKG and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 10:57 PM

That would be amazing to see

We get some real low flying military cargo planes flying over frequently in the summer. I don't know my planes but big prop planes.

They fly low enough to make the ground rumble. The boy goes nuts

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Probably a C-130.  I'm not huge into the fixed wing aircraft (those C-130's are certainly cool though), but rotary is my cup of tea.  A Bell UH-1 "Huey" is one of my favorites.  Such a distinct sound and massive deep rumble that you can feel in your chest.  Also, a CH-47 twin engine Chinook is another one I absolutely love watching and hearing fly overhead.  I still run out of the house to go watch whenever I hear them pass overhead, which isn't a very common occurrence here.

Edited by jpswift1, May 02, 2016 - 11:01 PM.

• HANKG and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 05:21 AM

Rudy inlet has a great view of Oceana flight operations. We use to go to the parking lot where the fighter jet is on public display, late at night. You can see in the hangers from there, and watch the engines being run tested, a great show in the dark. Of course that was 45 years ago.

Sorry to change the subject or hijack the thread, I've also been on a Navy seal team's go fast hard bottom inflatable while in Rudy inlet, they pulled in to fuel up with diesel and I asked if I could come aboard the captain said sure you paid for it. I asked some questions about boat which was about 35' it had twin diesel jet drives which begged the question how fast it would go, they danced around that one a bit but I came away with not the top end answer I was looking for,  but told it would do 45 knots ! that's 51.781 MPH that will set your hair on fire on a low profile boat, I asked if I could get a couple of pic's with the guy's and was granted permission but not direct view of their face's. What was really cool were the fore and aft mounted 50 cal stingers, not visible in the pic damn,IMG_1417.JPG  then I saw something coming down the river that was really astonishing a 45 to 50 foot stealth attack boat with all the reflective radar angles done up in Navy camo my questions about that one were promptly dismissed.

Edited by HANKG, May 03, 2016 - 06:20 AM.

• CRFarnsworth, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 07:03 AM

HANKG - Loose lips sink ships. A lot of things still need to be kept quiet. We have alot of people in this country that think our military are the worst people in the world and should be sabotaged. Hanoi Jane comes to my mind. But there are many others. Mostly I find that they have never been anywhere and believe that everywhere else is idealic. They think that we are the bad guys. In their minds: the Holocaust, the Bataan Death March, and the fire bombing of Coventry England never happened. There are plenty of spies too. Don't help any of them.

ERIC -  There are bad apples in every group. My FIL was on Gaudalcanal after the Battle of Savo Island(4 allied crusiers were sunk and the supply ships were withdrawn). It was a starving time. The American Red Cross was set up to give out donuts but their local manager decided that this was a great opportunity so donuts were $1 each. Most of the guys were making less than $2 per day. My FIL never forgave the Red Cross. 50 years later they pulled the same sh*t in the Gulf War. Most "not for profits" and "charities" exist for the ones that run them. That is why only a very small portion of the money donated does any good.

TOPPOP52 - Glad that you got to see a  Whispering Death and a JUG. Not many of them left and fewer of the men that earned their reputations. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 03, 2016 - 08:42 AM.

• CRFarnsworth, jpackard56, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#10 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 07:30 AM

HANKG - Loose lips sink ships. A lot of things still need to be kept quiet. We have alot of people in this country that think our military are the worst people in the world and should be sabotaged. Hanoi Jane comes to my mine. But there are many others. Mostly I find that they have never been anywhere and believe that everywhere else is idealic. They think that we are the bad guys. In their minds: the Holocaust, the Bataan Death March, and the fire bombing of Coventry England never happened. There are plenty of spies too. Don't help any of them.

ERIC -  There are bad apples in every group. My FIL was on Gaudalcanal after the Battle of Savo Island(4 allied crusiers were sunk and the supply ships were withdrawn). It was a starving time. The American Red Cross was set up to give out donuts but their local manager decided that this was a great opportunity so donuts were $1 each. Most of the guys were making less than $2 per day. My FIL never forgave the Red Cross. 50 years later they pulled the same sh*t in the Gulf War. Most "not for profits" and "charities" exist for the ones that run them. That is why only a very small portion of the money donated does any good.

TOPPOP52 - Glad that you got to see a  Whispering Death and a JUG. Not many of them left and fewer of the men that earned their reputations. Good Luck, Rick

Don't worry Rick, I know the deal, I felt honored to be aboard with those guy's
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#11 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 08:53 AM

The P47 was known around Tidewater in the 60's as a flying milk bottle, I've heard jug and baseball bat as well.

Hank, I use to run that area with my Donzi Z boat in the 80's and 90's, quite a bit. Use to run up the outside on good days, from Oregon Inlet to Waterside, then run inside back down, through river and canals and Currituck, Albemarle and Pamlico sounds, back to the inlet ramp. Sometimes we'd put in at Water Lilly and just run the inside. I miss all that!

I meant the Croatan Sound, not Pamlico, though you sort of touch the northern tip.

Edited by toppop52, May 03, 2016 - 08:58 AM.

• HANKG said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Probably a C-130.  I'm not huge into the fixed wing aircraft (those C-130's are certainly cool though), but rotary is my cup of tea.  A Bell UH-1 "Huey" is one of my favorites.  Such a distinct sound and massive deep rumble that you can feel in your chest.  Also, a CH-47 twin engine Chinook is another one I absolutely love watching and hearing fly overhead.  I still run out of the house to go watch whenever I hear them pass overhead, which isn't a very common occurrence here.

I'll have to pay closer attention to it when they fly over.  I swear it only has 1 motor/prop per wing.  Looks like the C130 would have 2 per wing.

I could be wrong.  I usually just hear them and not pay much attention.  But the last 2 times they have flown over and I've been outside with my son he flips out and points and watches them roar across the sky.  I don't know how low they are flying, but its pretty darn low.

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 10:09 AM

That's what I used to do.  45 years ago that might have been me you were watching. I was stationed at Oceana for most of my career.  I started with the F-4 phantom and then went to the F-5, T-38, T-2 and A-4, I was assigned to VF-43 the Adversary squadron. My last job was Maintenance Chief for the Oceana SAR.  When I was working on F-4's I was able to get my back seat card which meant I could go flying.  I got to go down to Dare county NC where the bombing range is and off the coast doing ACM (Air combat maneuvers or dog fighting) and of course supper sonic.

I spent a lot of time down at high power over the years.  I learned early on that if I got turn qualified it was a lot better sitting in the cockpit with heat or A/C then sitting on the ground freezing or cooking my butt off.

I've always loved the sound of a Radial engine.  Attached it the mp3 that plays when I start my computer and I have one that plays when I shut it down.  During my Career I was assigned to the COD crew which had twin R2800 engines and that was cool.  I got to go fly quite often.  

Attached File  P-47D_2.mp3   805.31KB   30 downloads

TooManytoys84: if it has twin engines it is not a C-130.  I have a good friend who works for Lockheed, he works on the C-130.

• OldBuzzard, HANKG, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#14 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 12:58 PM

We got a lot of the 4 engined C 130's doing touch and goes, take offs and landings, there is also a USAF twin engine cargo plane that comes here every few months that does cork screw landings from fairly high altitude. It lands and can stop much shorter than the Hercules (130). It's about 2/3 the size of the C 130.
  • HDWildBill, HANKG and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 254 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 03:57 PM

When't too a air show back in 2010 and man they had a b-17 , mustang and one that I did not reconise but i could not tell you but man jest seeing the b-17 was awasome