6 replies to this topic

#1 gniewotta OFFLINE  

gniewotta
  • Member No: 82672
  • 6 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 04:44 AM

Hi,

I bought a Bolens 813 last summer but have been having some issues this season. The drive belt was pretty worn so i replaced it but the new belt was extremely tight to get on and now i can't get it to start. It seems like the belt is so tight that the starter isnöt able to turn the engine over. I ordered the same belt that was on it when I bought it ( SPAX1657) but now I'm thinking that that may be the wrong size. Does anyone know what the model number is for the correct belt? I looked through the owner manuals posted here on the site but can't find anything. 

Thanks for the help!

• lilyyh4, ericwv2, nelljg60 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,019 Thanks
  • 8,795 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 07:09 AM

Welcome to GTT. You can contact a couple of our sponsors who specialize in Bolens tractors. They are a big help on parts. Also, you can download the manuals, that you may need, from our Manuals Section. They are free but we are limited to 3 downloads per day. Please post some pics of the tractor when you get a chance. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 07:33 AM

Welcome to GTT !

Here is the Parts Manual for the 813 tractor:

http://gardentractor...01-thru-813-03/

According to this manual, Reference # 100, the Drive belt is 65" and carries Bolens part # 1722238.  .....You may need to convert that to metric size.

Check that the driven pulley is free to turn before putting the belt on, and that the belt is installed correctly.  .....I fail to see how a too-tight belt will keep the engine from cranking.

If you turned the tractor on its side to install the belt, the engine's cylinder may have filled with oil or fuel, and you are experiencing hydraulic lock. ...If so, remove the spark plug, and try cranking the engine.  .....Ground the spark plug wire, so it doesn't accidentally ignite any fuel mixture outside the cylinder.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 gniewotta OFFLINE  

gniewotta
  • Member No: 82672
  • 6 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the advice. You can turn the motor by hand without the belt attached but its a lot more difficult after it's connected. It was a real battle to get the belt on so I was thinking that that, in combination with a weak starter motor could be a problem. Anyways, I tried Bruces recommendation and when I pulled the spark plug I noticed it was covered in oil, and this spark plug was installed after I changed the belt, so now I'm thinking I may have bigger issues...   

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,747 Thanks
  • 18,027 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. You can turn the motor by hand without the belt attached but its a lot more difficult after it's connected. It was a real battle to get the belt on so I was thinking that that, in combination with a weak starter motor could be a problem. Anyways, I tried Bruces recommendation and when I pulled the spark plug I noticed it was covered in oil, and this spark plug was installed after I changed the belt, so now I'm thinking I may have bigger issues...   

have you check the idler pulleys to see if one siezed? 

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 04:54 PM

I previously suggested turning the DRIVEN pulley, not the engine, to see if there was a problem in the drive.  .....Also, as Brian suggested, check for a seized idler pulley.

As for the oil in the cylinder, crank the engine with the sparkplug out. .....It will be messy, but should clear any oil out of the cylinder.

If the engine cranks freely with the sparkplug out, then the tight belt is probably not the problem. 

Clean the oil from the sparkplug and check that the air filter is not saturated with oil.  ......Reinstall the sparkplug and try again.

Yes, it is possible that the starter is weak, but if it worked OK before the belt replacement, I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

Let us know what you find.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,841 Thanks
  • 2,052 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hi, I show I have 2 of those belts new in stock,I'll pm you,Thanks, Rick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 813, drive belt