Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Windmills, anyone deal with these guys?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 05:45 PM

I used to have a small windmill here at the house.  Just one of those cheapies that eventually gave in to the elements.  I really want one again only bigger than what I had.  I'm not pumping anything or making electricity, it's strictly for looks.  Anyway, I've been considering getting the kit from these folks http://www.lonestarw...dmill-kits.html and wondered if anyone has had any dealings with them.  I like the fact that you can buy the head and build the base which is what I plan to do.  I think it would be cool to put the water tower with it someday.  Can anyone tell me anything about this outfit?

• MH81 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,640 Thanks
  • 39,012 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 06:13 PM

I've got an older HF windmill. The bearings gave out after a couple years. Ordered new ones and they sent the wrong size. So I made some from some thick plastic I had laying around. Been going strong for about 15 years now! Fixing to make a base for it to sit on and mount a small pump under it, kind of like the BIG ones had! Might even put a pump under for it to look like it works!

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,230 Thanks
  • 7,462 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 07:56 PM

Any Chinese made windmills I've seen had poor welds holding the vans on  and they would fail after a year.

• David Brown said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 08:26 PM

I have no input other than those kits look very nice. My dad has one that came from tractor supply for years. It worked as it was supposed to. It rusted. He painted it every year. Finally during a flood it got taken out by a floating rail road tie that slammed into it.

I don't know where the one he has now came from but it seems to hold up pretty well. He greases the bearings and swivel every month. This one is like a "rustic" brown.
  • David Brown said thank you