• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 newfoundford OFFLINE  

newfoundford
  • Member No: 82106
  • 2 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 03:51 PM

Does anyone know why the pto would continue to turn no matter what when the engine is running and the switch is off? Second should every pully on the deck turn freely because one won't

#2 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • Member No: 82482
  • 174 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 04:27 PM

I'll play. :D

Perhaps something in the PTO is frozen? Bearings? Corrosion? Crud?

If the engine is off, and there are no belts on the PTO, can you spin the PTO pulleys freely?

If you can't, the PTO is frozen and you need to pull it off/clean it out and figure out what is freezing it.

If you can spin it freely, then, the PTO is not frozen in the "engaged" position. That's good. I would then disconnect the wire supplying power to it to see if THAT disengages it when the engine is running. Probably doubtful- but I could see a PTO switch that's been out in the weather theoretically shorted out internally to constantly supply power. 

Seems like one of those two things should fix it... right?

Was the PTO working for you previously? or is this a tractor that has been sitting around for a while?

The fact that you mention one of the bearings not turning freely lends me to think there are some 40 year old corrosion issues at play here. The pulleys should all turn fairly freely. If one is frozen- that's bad.

Edited by dualresponse1731, May 01, 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#3 newfoundford OFFLINE  

newfoundford
  • 2 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 04:33 PM

The tractor has been sitting around for awhile.....the pulley spins freely on the pto. When I flip the switch u hear something try to engage bit no matter what that pulley still spins with the engine even if the wires are disconnected

#4 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • 174 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 04:40 PM

When you say "spins with the engine"- do you just mean it is just spinning when the engine is running? -or is it locked,spinning with force  and capable of providing real power to belts and such.

These PTO's (even when off- with no belts attached- ie. no real resistance) will start to sympathetically spin with the engine up to engine rpms, and when you turn the engine off, you can hear it spinning down for a couple of seconds even after the engine has stopped turning over  if no belts are attached. Hook up a belt and resistance- and the PTO will cease to spin if it is off. If the PTO is locked on, it will spin with the engine AND power the belts.

Without a belt and resistance, the PTO can/will spin by itself up to engine speed. Mine does this. It is normal.

The fact you hear something engaging when you hit the switch sounds like the pto clutch is engaging- which is promising. Your PTO might be fine. The frozen pulley on the other hand.... that might be a bigger challenge.

Good luck,

Ron

Edited by dualresponse1731, May 01, 2016 - 06:21 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 01, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Not sure why your clutch isnt releasing, but the gap between the clutch material and the magnetic surface is set at a certain distance, not sure what that is, but is probably in the manuals.

I would take the clutch off and clean the surfaces.....will likely be fine after doing that

• IamSherwood said thank you

#6 newfoundford OFFLINE  

newfoundford
  • 2 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 03:30 AM

Thanks guys I'll hook up the belt as soon as I get the pulley on the deck freed up and figure out what size belt this thing is. See if that makes a difference......I've come along way on this thing so far

#7 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • 174 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted May 02, 2016 - 05:55 AM

Another easy test it to turn the key to the "on" position but don't start the tractor, so the engine is NOT running. With the pto in "off" position- you should be able to spin the PTO pulleys. Then go turn the PTO switch to "on". You should hear the PTO clutch make a clicking/clunking noise (which you said it does). Now, the PTO pulleys should be locked to the crankshaft and should not spin. Turn the PTO back "off", and the PTO should spin again.

EDIT- The safety police would probably suggest removing the spark plug wire off the spark plug to insure it doesn't unintentionally start when you are playing with it, but on a kohler, I find that an unlikely possibility.

If your tractor works like this- you should be fine. The deck/belts/pulleys is going to be the real fun!

Edited by dualresponse1731, May 02, 2016 - 08:05 AM.

• ChopRod said thank you

#8 newfoundford OFFLINE  

newfoundford
  • 2 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 11:55 AM

I'm going to try that today. Just waiting on the belt to arive......I managed to get the pulley on the deck freed up yesterday took a lot of lubrication tho hahaha

#9 newfoundford OFFLINE  

newfoundford
  • 2 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hey dualresponse here's the dily o when the pto is disengaged I can spin the pulley freely now when I engage it I can spin it but it takes away lot more pressure to turn it. Is that normal

#10 dualresponse1731 OFFLINE  

dualresponse1731
  • 174 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted May 03, 2016 - 06:24 PM

ok- good...sort of.... :D

Ideally what you would want is to be able to turn it freely when it is off, and when it is on, to completely lock itself onto the crankshaft, so if you turn the PTO pulley, the entire engine turns over.

The good news is that your  PTO is not stuck on as it originally seemed at the beginning of the thread. 

The bad new is that it is not sticking as tight as it should.

I'm betting that, like everyone said above, the PTO (or the PTO switch) has some crud in it, but instead of the crud locking the PTO into  the "on" position, the corrosion/crud is doing the opposite,  it is PREVENTING  the PTO from locking fully.

So you can do one of two things.

The criminally lazy thing would be to hook up the belt and mower, fire up the engine and toggle the PTO on and off a number of times, perhaps 10-20 second intervals hoping that the crud will successfully clear out and the magnets will be able to fully engage and lock fully. I almost bet that would work after letting it run a bit. You want to give enough time to let the engine try to spin the deck up to speed, and then allow enough time for the deck to slow down when it is off, so the PTO has to pull it back up to speed when it is on again.

The "proper" thing would be to pull the PTO and clean out the inside and reassemble. If you are going that far, also measure voltage to the PTO wire to make sure it is getting full power.

Depends on how you want to go about it!

Edited by dualresponse1731, May 03, 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#11 newfoundford OFFLINE  

newfoundford
  • 2 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted May 04, 2016 - 01:59 PM

Hahaha can I try the lazy way first lmao