15 replies to this topic

#1 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 09:42 AM

Well I got tired of trying to get the onan to run properly so here is the solution. I needed the dimensions of the b43m before I went ahead with it, but here is what will be my new 2555.
I was luck to make the original electric clutch to fit with a custom made plate to fit the
mag part to the engine block. Then I made spacer for inside and outside to fit the crank and center the pulley on the out put shaft. I set her in place and I determined that I need raise it up to the original shaft center line, what is in there is temp until I machine larger blocks and a plate to go under the engine.

101_0289.jpg

Today I have to machine the spacer to adapt the drive spline to the new engine. I think I am going to remove and replace the double pulleys at the same time they are very worn out plus there is room to go larger with 5" pulley which will give me 1/3 more drive surface, I will not have to tighten the pulleys as much, when I pulled the old engine out the flywheel side of the engine moves up and down about 30 thousand, looking at how the belt tensioner works it put alot of down force on the front bearing of the motor, kind of stupid system especialy if the engine was not designed to do so. So anybody over doing the tension here will destroy the front bearing.
I am going to have to cut some of the hood support to fit it over the new air cleaner and build a muffler bracket to fit it under the hood. I am looking forward to the power of this thing should be FUN. LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_0291.jpg
  • 101_0295.jpg
  • 101_0288.jpg
  • 101_0287.jpg
  • 101_0290.jpg
  • 101_0294.jpg

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Looking good. Sure is nice to be able to make positive improvements. Keep up the good work.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:52 PM

The hydro drive shaft tension/belt setup on these are the worst. You gotta have the belts tight otherwise they slip too easy. Problem with that is like you said it creates unnecessary wear on the crank bearings.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:00 PM

That looks like a great project you have going there ErnRemy! That engine looks mean! Great work on all the fitting too. Keep us posted!

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:04 PM

Is there any room/way to add a carrier bearing in front?
I know it would make belt changing a pita, but........
Just a thought.

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Hey Ern Remy looking good.Looking at your pics brings back when I put the Honda 20 Hp V twin into my 1655.Had too do all the changes your doing now.One thing I found out after it was running etc: the first time I thru the switch for the Electric clutch for the mower the engine stopped running.Guess with the Honda motor when you turn it off it actually grds the coils ,so turning the electric clutch on did just that.A little bit of rewiring and I had it working in no time.One other thing that I did was to change the way the belt tensioner worked.I cut the pivot pin off the motor mount plate and made it pivot off the frame of the tractor instead.The reason for this was to stop the back and forth movement of the splined coupler and charge pump shaft.Since doing that change I've not ever had to deal with the coupler or shaft wearing,in fact I have the coupler set screwed to the pump shaft now.It works just as well this way as what it was made like from new.I think this is what they should have done rather then have had the belt tensioner pivot pin point on the motor mount plate.I'll be watching to see how your doing very interested in what your doing.Larry

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 10:04 PM

Looks great, that motor is a beast! Just take your time with the hood, it will make or break the job when its all done. Can you gain enough room by just making those lower bulges wider, or maybe wider and lifted up a bit? It will be a fair bit to make it look stock, but well worth it in the end!

#8 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 11:02 PM

Looks great, that motor is a beast! Just take your time with the hood, it will make or break the job when its all done. Can you gain enough room by just making those lower bulges wider, or maybe wider and lifted up a bit? It will be a fair bit to make it look stock, but well worth it in the end!

The hood does not need to be modified other than cutting back the inside support enough to clear the filter housing there is the rectifier on the side of the engine that needs to be moved but no big deal there. I have had the hood on it already lots of room around the engine it should cool nicely.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 06:43 AM

Looking like a great project! Bet she'll be a real runner, sounds like you have it on the downhill side of figuring it all out.

#10 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 12:12 AM

Well I finally got around to doing some more work on my 2555 here is some pictures of the drive adapter that I am machining. everything is working out fine so far, except trying to figure out how to drill at 90 degrees to each other with some precision. I know that if I had a
rotatory table I could do it quite easy but hey can't have all the cool tools. I am lucky to have a cad/cam program on my computer and drafted up the exact dimensions needed to overlay it on my drive adapter then center punched the drill points.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14590[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14595[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14590[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14606[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14604[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14605[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_0299.jpg
  • 101_0301.jpg
  • 101_0300.jpg
  • 101_0296.jpg

Edited by ErnRemy, May 14, 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 04:19 AM

That's looking good.:thumbs:

#12 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Very nice job ! Are you just checking the center punch marks compared to the counterbored holes ?

#13 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 11:45 AM

Very nice job ! Are you just checking the center punch marks compared to the counterbored holes ?

no I also drawn up a center bore diameter line as well, I finished the drilling and tapping this morning all the bolts threaded in by finger the bolt holes have only a 5thou clearance so I must have done something right

#14 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 12:52 PM

Nice job getting it done . Al

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 01:27 PM

Looking very nice Ern! I've had to make a few flywheel/shaft adapters too, and you did better with yours fitting so perfect. I've occasionally had to oblong a hole just a tad. But then being in a rush is not your best friend, so I need to go slower!