Sears Craftsman 917.28833 YS 4500 Transmission problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hemidak OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82633
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 11:45 PM

I fix lawnmowers and small engines but am new to hydro static transmissions. I have a customer that has a YS 4500 and says it loses power going up hills. I tested it for a few minutes and felt a little weakness there but nothing too bad. I did a tune up for her and changed the drive belt. I tested again and felt okay. She calls back saying it is still weak on hills. Now I didn't run it for a long time like her but could it be the oil is just thinning out once it heats up ? It is 8 years old now. Is there a way to change the oil on this transmission ? Any help appreciated

• youngsi18 said thank you

#2 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 844 Thanks
  • 708 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 05:50 AM

Take it up a hill and watch the hydro lever. There is more force on the slash plate when you go up Hills and the lever will sometimes creep back toward neutral. There is usually a friction nut you can adjust to stop it from doing that if that is the problem. I had my lt1000 and my cub 1020 both do this. Also make sure the drive belt isn't slipping

Edited by Tecumseh power, April 30, 2016 - 05:51 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and hemidak have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,457 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 06:08 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for info that you want. I agree with Tecumseh power  about solutions. Good Luck, Rick

• hemidak said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,660 Thanks
  • 28,313 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 06:55 AM

If it isn't something mechanical like mentioned above, does the tranny have a drain or a replaceable filter?
I would suppose it doesn't.
That means this unit is designed as a sealed unit. Not designed to add oil or change it.
These units will wear quickly (many mfg are using them) and at about 500+or- hours, they will begin to exhibit such symptoms.
Removing the tranny and turning it upside down to drain and then replacing the oil may help, but it is only postponing the inevitable.
Knowing the numbers on the tranny tag may help you research, but I'm afraid that if it isn't belt, pulley slipping, control mechanism... Your customer will be looking for a replacement.
  • hemidak said thank you

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 08:12 AM

• hemidak said thank you

• Member No: 62466
  • 895 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 12:03 PM

Hi hemidak, welcome to GTtalk, you are short a digit on the model number but I think (this is a guess) that the hydro maybe a Hydro-gear model 314-0510, this is supposedly a sealed unit but it can be serviced by removing the unit from the tractor, I'll attach a manual for the 314-0510 hydro. You are right in that an oil change may improve the tranny..

Attached File  Hydro -Gear 314-0510 Manual.pdf   12MB   57 downloads

• MH81 and hemidak have said thanks

#7 hemidak OFFLINE  

• Member No: 82633
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted April 30, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Thanks all for the advice. MNGB the pdf is awesome !!!!